Dropped my truck off to get the trans rebuilt now no start!! Help!

maxforce007

Reaction score
Hey guys how's it goin? Gonna be a long post and I dread typing it as much as you all dread reading it.lol I'm having an issue with my 08 6.4 Harley truck and really need some advice on getting the problem fixed. I'm not near the truck so I can only try to explain the issue.

First of all I haven't owned the truck very long at all maybe a month. The truck has a viper alarm/remote start system on it and when I first got it I noticed that when I would start the truck from the remote sometimes the truck would run for probably 10 seconds then shut down and start again and do the same thing until I went to the truck and put the key in to stop the process. It has even started itself twice now on it's own unless somehow I've hit the start button in my pocket which I doubt that happening twice now especially in a cargo pocket. So all that crap happening no big deal I was debating on just removing the remote start system anyways.

Here's where things go real bad,dropped my truck off to get the trans rebuilt several days later I get a call from the shop owner saying the truck will not start and for him to start rebuilding the trans it has to be drove into the shop and was asking if I knew what was up with it! Never ever had any issues with the truck not starting no signs nothing and he had started the truck and moved it in and out of the shop every day prior to this situation.. So he's been trying little things to try and get it to turn over and still no luck. Says everything is pretty normal(bright lights gauges everything) when he tried starting except its like it doesn't spin the starter and What I don't understand is he is saying the mini Maxx is still saying "initializing communication",also when he put the key in the ignition once not even trying to start it the dash lights up flash and the gauges move? He is pretty knowledgable and is trying several things but if he hasn't got the truck started tomorrow I'm going to drive over there(1 1/2 hour drive..)and try to get it to spin.
Things he has tried already are: key on for 10 mins,disconnected batteries,tried starting with let and with just the remote,cycled the key switch,worked steering column,reset the valet switch, tested batteries,testing the starter tomorrow which I highly doubt it bad at 90k with no previous signs of failure,all the simple obvious things.
Could this be the F40 fuse? I didn't get a chance to ask him tonight if he checked the fuses but I'm sure he done that already. Any suggestions?? I am guessing it's with the viper remote start security system. Could it be in some type of failsafe mode? Think I should go over there and remove all the viper system components? Would returning the mini Maxx to stock and then re-tuning the truck be worth a shot? Also before when I would start the truck in park it would move slightly almost like park is not adjusted correctly. Maybe neutral safety switch? I own/owned a lot super duty's and have tackled a lot of their issues but this one is new to me and I'm worried its something else serious..
Any help is greatly appreciated!

BigBluediesel08

Reaction score
Don't know if it will help with yours but I had the same problem when I replaced my trans.. I just reloaded the tune and boom it started right up.

Last edited:

BigBluediesel08

Reaction score
Didn't go back to stock, i just reloaded the tune, did the normal procedures... I also thought the starter was shot. It wouldn't crank.

maxforce007

Reaction score
Talked to H&S today and they said they have heard of this problem before and said that it could be that the guy has hit the obd port or the little box on the mini Maxx cord and could cause it to go into a failsafe mode and that I'd need to retune the truck and it should fix the problem.. Who knows but I'm going to either go to the shop and fix it myself or call and try to get him to do it over the phone with me.
Any other suggestions?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
don't test the starter, turn the key to run and jumper the starter wire under the hood... do this with the Mini Maxx unplugged.

The truck will likely start up and then when you shut it off, it will likely restart with the key no problem.

THEN, diagnose the communication problem with the Mini Maxx

6.4strokin

Reaction score
Yes unplug the minimax my dad had this same issue when he turned his truck off one time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbatten

Reaction score
Neutral safety switch or if it has an aftermarket lift pump wired direct to battery but there should be a code .

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
The viper system seemed to be malfunctioning as well. It could have a starter kill on it for an anti theft. It could be separating the starter wire from the ignition. Jumping the starter wire under the column in front and behind the viper system will tell you if the system is involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online