Dual stock lift pumps

RSK

Reaction score
Has anyone with dual injection pumps done dual factory lift pumps on a 6.4? It seems like it would probably supply quite a bit to each pump and be quite reliable.

RSK

Reaction score
so how would you buy 3 filters at one time?

you would buy 2 kits and have an extra or maybe ford sells them separately. The fuel filters aren't the issue, the reliability of the air dog or fass is. The factory lift pump on the 6.4's are reliable, and can fuel some power.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Way more work than what it's worth. Get a single fuelab low pressure pump that supplies way more fuel than dual factory lift pumps would anyway, and be done and not have to worry about the reliability issues with the other low pressure pumps.

RedRice589

Reaction score
you would buy 2 kits and have an extra or maybe ford sells them separately. The fuel filters aren't the issue, the reliability of the air dog or fass is. The factory lift pump on the 6.4's are reliable, and can fuel some power.

Beauty of it is the 6.4 only require 8-10 psi so your pump issues are less prone to show up. Unlike the 6.0 which requires considerably more. Just get a nice lift pump and you'll be fine.

RSK

Reaction score
Way more work than what it's worth. Get a single fuelab low pressure pump that supplies way more fuel than dual factory lift pumps would anyway, and be done and not have to worry about the reliability issues with the other low pressure pumps.

Fuel labs brushless was the plan!

Beauty of it is the 6.4 only require 8-10 psi so your pump issues are less prone to show up. Unlike the 6.0 which requires considerably more. Just get a nice lift pump and you'll be fine.

I was planning on a fuel labs brushless setup

madman1234509

Reaction score
Stock lift pumps aren't that reliable. And many with mileage can't maintain a few pounds of pressure. Not to mention there are no codes or obvious warnings before they go... the filters are an issue and using an aftermarket set up allows for use of better filters

RSK

Reaction score
Stock lift pumps aren't that reliable. And many with mileage can't maintain a few pounds of pressure. Not to mention there are no codes or obvious warnings before they go... the filters are an issue and using an aftermarket set up allows for use of better filters

ah so the filtering is why most switch then? It seems airdog or fass you have to buy a spare and carry it with you and the tools to change it. seems like either way its a crap shoot....as far as reliability goes. some seem to have good luck some don't. I saw in your build you are mounting 3 walbro fuel pumps on your truck.

BBottoms

Reaction score

That sounds fine n dandy but the fact is the AirDogs just don't last. Mine just crapped the bed last weekend with ~30k miles on it. Fortunately I noticed it wasn't running when I turned the key to let the glow plugs warm or it would of left me stranded down the road. Sure, I could get a new pump motor from AirDog for free or cheap (relatively) but I shouldn't have to worry about something as simple as a fuel pump running ~10psi in 2014. I'm back on my stock pump at the moment to keep me going but I'll be getting a Fuelab set up shortly.

sootie

Reaction score

i thought the stock 6.4 pumps were pretty reliable. you hear of 6oh guys using them to assist their stock lp fuel pumps.

curious as to why it is worthwhile to do double stockers on 6.7's but not 6.4s?

...not arguing-just want to learn...

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think at the time that's all that was available on a 6.7 . Plus I think I read that they require a bit more pressure. Don't quote me I don't venture into the 6.7 stuff too awful much. One thing I don't like is a stock set up doesn't have any means to tell you if you are low on feed pressure to the hpfp, which will potentially kill a hpfp. A gauge for the low pressure fuel system isn't a terrible idea to keep an eye on things.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I think at the time that's all that was available on a 6.7 . Plus I think I read that they require a bit more pressure. Don't quote me I don't venture into the 6.7 stuff too awful much. One thing I don't like is a stock set up doesn't have any means to tell you if you are low on feed pressure to the hpfp, which will potentially kill a hpfp. A gauge for the low pressure fuel system isn't a terrible idea to keep an eye on things.

Agree with the gauge 100%. I am plumming one in to my new LP system (Mart's). Pretty sure the 6.7 requires extremely high inlet pressure for a CR. I want to say 125 but don't quote me on that.

OP, don't forget the factory water separator Sucks...thst's another reason to do a LP system.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Mine was set to 8-10psi it's entire, short life.

Well damn. No personal experience but the only issues all my friends have had is some leaks and one motor has gone bad. I helped install the newest motor this last time and it seems to run much better now. But I would go fuelab if I needed one.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Everyone speaks of reliability of them and constant failures. I would like to see statistics. How many per 100 so to speak fail. Or per 1000. You get what I mean. Seems everything you read nowadays has reliability issues. As soon as one or 2 fuel labs fails and everyone reads about it, they will be known to have reliability issues too. Give me numbers, not opinions. Just my outlook on life.

"Opportunity is often overlooked because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison.

Last edited:

RedLine

Reaction score
I tried dual stockers feeding my Dual K16 with 150's. Sump supplied both of them, I wouldnt do it again, too much screwing around. For what it takes just do a Fuel lab.

RSK

Reaction score
I tried dual stockers feeding my Dual K16 with 150's. Sump supplied both of them, I wouldnt do it again, too much screwing around. For what it takes just do a Fuel lab.

that's what I was looking for. so it did work, but too much effort when you can just buy a kit that already has everything there and is a lot better.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
A FASS is plenty reliable, and on any truck only requiring 10 psi of pressure it wouldn't be unreliable. The failures you hear about are on trucks that require 5-7 times that pressure.

Latest posts

Members online