Honest 6.7 turbo talk For The People

ncollins64

Reaction score
So while on vacation, boss hooked my truck with the Maryland's 364 non-VGT, CCV reroute and EZ Lynk tuner. Got back to in-laws tonight and truck was there so wife and I could drive 1.5 hours back to our house.

First impression - truck sounds way different at idle. The hissing is gone and the note is deeper. Sounds like an angry gas truck. LOL

Let truck warm up for about 4 minutes (hadn't ran since Wednesday) and wife and I headed out. Truck has way more throttle response off the bat. Power is smooth and truck sounds great as well.

When truck warmed up, I got on it about halfway and the response was awesome. The Ric Flair WOOOOO is also gone which is great. Tuning, especially the trans tuning, is awesome. It's Anarchy's tunes BTW. Truck shifts firm and clean compared to the PIP tunes I had on my SCT prior to this.

So in short, I've put about 90 miles on it (Mark put about 200 miles) and I'm definitely impressed. Amazing what good tunes and a bigger hairdryer do for these trucks. I'd like to get it on the dyno in a few weeks at XDP, where it won't really hold a candle to some of the trucks there but it will be nice to just see what she does.
Awesome news Tom. Glad you are getting great results with it. Not sure what I'll do with mine.

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
So while on vacation, boss hooked my truck with the Maryland's 364 non-VGT, CCV reroute and EZ Lynk tuner. Got back to in-laws tonight and truck was there so wife and I could drive 1.5 hours back to our house.

First impression - truck sounds way different at idle. The hissing is gone and the note is deeper. Sounds like an angry gas truck. LOL

Let truck warm up for about 4 minutes (hadn't ran since Wednesday) and wife and I headed out. Truck has way more throttle response off the bat. Power is smooth and truck sounds great as well.

When truck warmed up, I got on it about halfway and the response was awesome. The Ric Flair WOOOOO is also gone which is great. Tuning, especially the trans tuning, is awesome. It's Anarchy's tunes BTW. Truck shifts firm and clean compared to the PIP tunes I had on my SCT prior to this.

So in short, I've put about 90 miles on it (Mark put about 200 miles) and I'm definitely impressed. Amazing what good tunes and a bigger hairdryer do for these trucks. I'd like to get it on the dyno in a few weeks at XDP, where it won't really hold a candle to some of the trucks there but it will be nice to just see what she does.

glad to hear you're getting good results. curious though.. would you think that turbo setup is suitable for daily towing anywhere from 10k to 15k pounds? or would a smaller 363sxe turbo be more ideal for that? i keep looking at either a streetmax or factory 15+ turbo swap. not looking to make a ton of power I just want something quicker and more powerful than my current setup

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I would think it would be great for towing. Matt from Street Diesel tows heavy, sled pulls, and dynos his truck with this setup with no issues. I'm looking forward to towing with the 364 to see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getstroked27

Reaction score
Tom, glad you love it man! Talked to Mawky this morning and I got a piping kit gettin ready to head your way as well, Should make that response a little better even.

Swaan

Reaction score
How come I never see anyone use a 62mm sxe?
Stock turbo is a 61mm so the 62sxe should flow a lot more with out hardly any noticable hit to response.

I know it's not going to flow like a 64.5 but for the average Joe on stock fuel with just a tow tune would this not be the hot ticket?? I love non vgt turbos and how smooth they make the power but I always found the low rpm drivability goes out the window. Wouldn't the 62fmw be the best of both worlds for someone on just a street tune. ?

Anyone running one have a review??

sootie

Reaction score
How come I never see anyone use a 62mm sxe?
Stock turbo is a 61mm so the 62sxe should flow a lot more with out hardly any noticable hit to response.

I know it's not going to flow like a 64.5 but for the average Joe on stock fuel with just a tow tune would this not be the hot ticket?? I love non vgt turbos and how smooth they make the power but I always found the low rpm drivability goes out the window. Wouldn't the 62fmw be the best of both worlds for someone on just a street tune. ?

Anyone running one have a review??

probably because the 363SXE spools effortlessly so there is no real need to go smaller.

Swaan

Reaction score
Really ? But does it thou, because you still hear reports of people still having to lock out 6th towing heavy and getting under the turbo with 363s. I dont know other then what I tryed turbo wise on my 6.0 when I had it. Just thought why dont you ever hear of a 62fmw on a 6.7.? Just food for thought.

08Monster

Reaction score
I've got the 363sxe, on a 14 with dual fuel.

I can tow in 6th locked, and never downshift, as long as I go a fairly decent speed. 70mph I can tow anything in 6th no matter how heavy, 65mph, it has to be heavy to keep the turbo up all the time or when you go down a hill it'll unspool, and can't pick back up at the bottom of the hill and smokes like a train. Pulling big, heavy stuff it keeps the turbo spooled even going down hill so it's not an issue.

Honestly a dream combo, I think I'm going to leave the 63 in the valley and throw on the compound kit with some 60% nozzles and an engine build and enjoy it. Might still limit it to 750hp, but it'll tow like stock, but with a chit load more power and cool EGTs. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Swaan

Reaction score
Ok but see you still have too drive around the turbo a little to keep it happy. This is what I mean. Wouldn't a 62 be better for that. ??

08Monster

Reaction score
Ok but see you still have too drive around the turbo a little to keep it happy. This is what I mean. Wouldn't a 62 be better for that. ??
You couldn't do what I do with a stock charger in 6th gear anyway. That 1mm difference wouldn't be any difference at all. You'd be in 5th, if not 4th, trying to pull what I'm pulling with this 363sxe in 6th.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Swaan

Reaction score
Mmmmm interesting. Thanks for the info. There is obviously a diffrence between the 64.5 and 63 . Be interesting to get some real world data with a 62 .

Swaan

Reaction score
I've been looking at pics of the h@s kit. Looks to me like they have a open plenum where the pipes come together.
Would it not been way more benificial to have a divided plenum for better spool and low rpm boost??
Why would they spend so much on R@D on a kit then leave that kind of performance potential on the table with a open housing. ?

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Never mind., I just looked on there site and noticed there kit has the upgraded divided plenum now. Should of did little more digging I guess. Lol.

gotchadollar

Reaction score
Gearing plays a factor into it as well, 3.31 with a 66 is a dog off the bottom but hang on once she’s lit, I have a 64.5 with 3.55 and dual fueler and it spools really well at 4000 feet. The egts stay under 1000 under load hard at it.
I think that’s the best set up for these trucks.

Latest posts

Members online