6.0 5r110w in 6.4

morefuel

Reaction score
My trans is acting up was taking off moderately hard and when it shifted out of 3rd it barked the tires. I think it actually was sliding them but not sure and banged pretty good. So i stopped and when i went to take off it showed it was in 4th and finally shifted to 3rd but when i stopped again it didn't want to go to 1st gear. I put it in park and then back in drive and it showed 1st gear but idling around for a little and it goes to 2nd and stop and it stays in 2nd. I currently have the battery cables off to see if it's a computer glitch. I should mention that reverse did appear to still work. Any ideas of what could cause this?

I do have a low miles trans from and 05 or 06 that I can swap in but I want the cooling circuit and filter too be like the 08 has. Couple posts i read said acted like there may be some restriction inside for the 08 filter setup but nothing real conclusive. I'm wondering what all I would have to change or just live with it. Or maybe its a poor idea to use a 6.0 trans.

Thanks Mark K

I guess what I was trying to say is Ford didn't intend us to use the 08 pan and filter in the 07 under 5r's so I wasn't considering it an OEM upgrade

just a DIY guy modification

I think the restriction in the 03-07 cooling circuit is the TP filter and if you remove it the fluid bypasses the coolers ( I actually tested this after someone made a comment about running hot without the filter
and I just happened to be flushing a 06

with the filter out and a clear hose on the end of line cooler no fluid ran thru it / filter in fluid hit the cooler
Yes, it is better than the OEM bypass filter.

It is GREATLY improved! The 08+ filter is a finer filter than the older bypass filter. And it filters 100% of the fluid all the time.

I'm not sure about that. I think there is a restriction in the filter body, but I don't have one to look at.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
My trans is acting up was taking off moderately hard and when it shifted out of 3rd it barked the tires. I think it actually was sliding them but not sure and banged pretty good. So i stopped and when i went to take off it showed it was in 4th and finally shifted to 3rd but when i stopped again it didn't want to go to 1st gear. I put it in park and then back in drive and it showed 1st gear but idling around for a little and it goes to 2nd and stop and it stays in 2nd. I currently have the battery cables off to see if it's a computer glitch. I should mention that reverse did appear to still work. Any ideas of what could cause this?

I do have a low miles trans from and 05 or 06 that I can swap in but I want the cooling circuit and filter too be like the 08 has. Couple posts i read said acted like there may be some restriction inside for the 08 filter setup but nothing real conclusive. I'm wondering what all I would have to change or just live with it. Or maybe its a poor idea to use a 6.0 trans.

I ran a 06 trans in my 08 and it held up fine. Just keep your deep pan and use the later (flat bottom I think) filter. I know there are some hard part differences in the 5r depending on year though so I don’t think it’ll hold up to the same abuse depending on what you’re doing with the truck. But physically and electrically does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morefuel

Reaction score
Thanks, good to know just swapping over the pan and filter will work.

Anyone know if I need tune changes if I put in a modified direct solenoid? I'm running G-head street and my 3-5 shifts were never very good.

The biggest hard part differences were the 03-04 to the 05-07 I believe?

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks, good to know just swapping over the pan and filter will work.

Anyone know if I need tune changes if I put in a modified direct solenoid? I'm running G-head street and my 3-5 shifts were never very good.

The biggest hard part differences were the 03-04 to the 05-07 I believe?
Trans will work fine as already said. Swap the 6.4 pan and filter. It's up to you if you get your tunes modded for a different direct solenoid. Personally, I would get a new OEM solenoid. The modded ones are unreliable. If you tell your tuner that you have a modded solenoid, they will reduce shift pressure to compensate, thus putting you back to square one. I tried a modded solenoid for a couple days once and it shifted way too hard so i removed it.
The hard part changes were the number of pinions in the overdrive planetary. Nothing to worry about there.

Latest posts

Members online