Who sells a 5r110w Pan with a lowered filter??

Zmann

Reaction score
Having a deep pan but not dropping the filter a little seems ridiculous but it also seems like no one has them ?

if i had a leak or it was a major incline why not take advantage of the extra fluid

anyone know of an 08 up 5r pan with filter lowering adapter ?

thx

And yes I know Mark K does not approve ;-)

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
There is really no need to drop the filter, as the fluid level is still up high enough for the filter to be fully submerged. The dipstck does not change length, so the fluid is at yhe same spot relative to the trans, it just has 7 or 8 more quarts under it. If your leak was big enough to need the extra capacity, you got bigger issues. An incline should not be an issue, as im sure the engineers took that into account. Just my .02 though...

Zmann

Reaction score
thanks

I get that but
plenty of pans have dropped filter blocks to take advantage of the extra fluid just nothing for the 5r that I can find

engineers took in to consideration that we don't need deep pans but that doesn't stop us ;-)

sootie

Reaction score
thanks

I get that but
plenty of pans have dropped filter blocks to take advantage of the extra fluid just nothing for the 5r that I can find

engineers took in to consideration that we don't need deep pans but that doesn't stop us ;-)

submerged is submerged. how does a filter "take advantage of the extra fluid"?

Zmann

Reaction score
I explained my thoughts in post one

it's not like I came up with this concept on my own
I have had deep pans in the past that have a block to drop the filter

ATS states
ATS pans come with a gasket, and for some models, a billet block to lower the stock filter to the bottom of the pan
but i don't think they do with the 5r pan maybe there is no easy way to bolt one on ? i haven looked

I already have a deep pan that has the filter in the stock position so there is no swaying my decision to want a pan that lowers the filter

just simply asking if anyone knows first hand of a pan that includes a filter drop

I looked at
BDS
ATS
B&M
Derale
Mag Hytec

I know Mark K's thoughts and explanations on why this isn't needed

I am a bad listener ;-)

Jethro

Reaction score
The extra capacity is not from the depth of the pan but the actual design. On a mag hytec the pan in no lower inside than stock.

Zmann

Reaction score
not that i asked about the depth but

what ?

you can't make the pan longer and have access to the bolts without getting creative as hell for no reason so of course it is deeper
MagHytec
#F5R110W
Holds 8.3 quarts more fluid than stock pan
Overall height 6 1/8"

Stock pan is like 3.5 and 7-8 qts

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
:whs: i have an ats pan on mine, and a factory one i can bolt the trans mount to the trans jack and the pan will rest on the jack, while using the mount nuts to keep it from rolling forward. I cant even think of trying this with this pan. A drain and fill holds 15qts now instea of 8. This pan is probably double the depth of a factory one...

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the inside of my Mag Hytec 5R110 pan that I modified to run the 5R110W filter.
Photo0039_zpszxjncdtc.jpg

The filter only sits about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off the bottom.

Zmann

Reaction score
I have the derale pan it hold 7-8 more and it is like you said almost DBL deep

but uses adapters to keep the filter elevated off the bottom
pretty smart one pan fits like 4 transmissions that way

but just for my own reasons I want a cast pan for the claimed rigidity and case twist resistance ( not that i need it ) and I would like the filter in the lower section
i would prefer it that way I don't need it ;)

and telling me engineers came up with the OEM pan so I should trust them

let me talk to the 6.0 Engineer who didn't think I needed ARP studs or more bolts per cyl or a coolant filter or = the list goes on and on

I do trust Former Ford Engineer Mark K but it doesn't mean I always follow his thoughts big deal my wallet will be lighter a deep pan is not detrimental as far as he has advised other than maybe a longer cooling off after the longer heating up time lol

78f100

Reaction score
The extra capacity is not from the depth of the pan but the actual design. On a mag hytec the pan in no lower inside than stock.

The one I have is almost twice as deep, it has a stand in the back to support the filter. Even on the website shows both 5r110 pans being 6&1/8 inchs deep. It has to be deeper, it's not wider so the 8 extra quarts have to go somewhere.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
thanks

sure wish i could find one that drooped the filter a bit

even Mark K said a Quart low could lead to conformance issues

NEVRNF

Reaction score
I will say from experience that a pan without a drop is a costly mistake. I ran a deep pan on my truck for years without issue until I encountered a very steep incline last summer in the sand. That was a multi-thousand dollar mistake due to the pan sucking air and not fluid. I had been warned by Brian @BTS multiple times but I did not heed his warning.

Zmann

Reaction score
Thanks Tony

any chance you can Ask Brian where to get a deep pan with a filter drop ?

IMO a deep pan with a stock location filter is just as or perhaps maybe a tad less likely to suck air but this is exactly why I am after a pan that relocates the filter a little deeper

Zmann

Reaction score
not sure

but even mag Hytec leaves the filter at the OEM depth as far as I can tell

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I know they do and the filter is only about 3/4 of an inch off the bottom. How much lower do you want it?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
There is no adapter that is just where the filter is. Even before I cut the stands down to fit the deeper 5r110w filter the filter was only about 1.25" off the bottom.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.