Dead Batteries

01platinum

Reaction score
Ok truck sat for just under a week while I was out of town for a car show. Got in it to drive home and noticed the amp steps didn't come out and none of the lights came on it the truck. Come to find out both batteries are completely dead. Put battery charger on the truck for about 3 hours, 1.5 per battery. Put the key in to try and start the truck and cranked for a few seconds the nothing. Had a phone call came back out to the truck and lights are off and amp step is stuck down. Both batteries are completely dead again. What should I look for or just order two new batteries? Figured I had something draining the batteries but the air and radio are turned off. All interior lights are LED.

extreme3807

Reaction score
My guess is low voltage. Before you order new batteries, take both batteries to autozone, o'reilleys, etc... and have them hook up both batteries and test for any juice in them. That should narrow it done for you exactly.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
i had a odd battery issue with my truck as in it would crank forever and not start. like it was not getting fuel almost it seemed. Then crank again and it would drop volts quick but still spin fast. Well I took my batteries out ( interstate megatrons) and took them to my local interstate "dealer" and they tested them and said they were all within "spec" whatever the hell that meant. I put them on a snap on battery tester and the passenger side had a dead cell in it. I replaced the battery and never had a single problem since then.

The guys at interstate also told me that if the battery has had an extremely low voltage for a long time or sat for a long time with no charge it can still test good but it will never actually be "good" .

Short version- bad cell in a battery can cause all kinds of odd issues.

im not sure if it is the same everywhere but our napa here has a 72 month warranty on batteries with the first 18 months not being pro rated. unlike interstate who from day 1 its pro rated.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Our trucks will crank fast and not start because once the voltage drops below X volts, the GPR will not engage because the PCM will not come on, and without that strain on the battery, it will spin and spin.

Snake

Reaction score
Have the alternator tested also.

I'll probably be buying batteries later this month.

01platinum

Reaction score
Well charged the batteries all day and just went out and fired the truck like it was nothing. Watched the voltage gauge and it was right where it needed to be. Went and checked everything over then looked at the voltage gauge again and it was almost to the red past 18 volts. Truck is over charging for some reason now. No I need to have the alternator checked now. Is the voltage regulator in the alternator or on the firewall of the 2001?

I know parts stores sell them but they will also sell me a in cab air filter that my truck doesn't have. LOL

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeppers, in the alternator. Could still be bad bats that cause the alternator to swing so hard past the voltage regulator that it killed it. Do Not replace just the alternator unless it is with a rebuilt that they will warranty pretty much with no questions asked.

Last edited:

01platinum

Reaction score
Alt was bad and it killed both batteries. Replaced alt under warranty and have 2 brand new Optimas that will be here Monday. Got $100 off each battery by having a membership with NHRDA. Can't bet that deal.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Optima's aren't what they used to be. But for that price why not..my truck has 191k on the factory alt I'm wondering when it's gonna go.

01platinum

Reaction score
I was 170+k on my stock alt when it let go. Then I had the fuel bowl split and that killed the 2nd one so this is the 3rd one.

Reaction score
optima has definitely gone down hill in their quality, honestly you can get the agm from orielly's or sears and have them cheaper, better warranty and same cca and ca

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Optima's aren't what they used to be. But for that price why not..my truck has 191k on the factory alt I'm wondering when it's gonna go.

Probably doesn't have a whole lot of life left in it, but who knows lol. Mine in my obs went around 210K or so with the factory alt, and my dads old 7.3 was around that area too when it went, and now that one has the napa lifetime warranty alt and gets replaced every year or every other year LOL

Latest posts

Members online