D-Leted Cold Start Concerns

1800bigk

Reaction score
Here is mine today it was about 0 f this morn. I am not a videographer so please ignore how the sound is jacked up. Sounds like my truck starts up twice have no idea how that happened I am obviously not the next youtube video maker sensation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TCQR9fkWwM

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
When you guys are saying it smokes really bad are you getting a more white cloud or a black cloud? I live in northern Alberta for years and it gets down to -50c some nights. I've started lots of trucks and equipment and they all smoke. Even gas vehicles smoke. If the cloud is mostly white it's essentially steam due to the hot exhaust meeting the freezing cold air and there's no fix for that. If it's black or has a black hue to it then yes it's not a complete burn and either a shorter pulse width or high rail pressure will help. The closers you get to 0 Celsius or 32f the less of a white cloud you get. I'm curious to see some videos of these trucks smoking badly.

1800bigk

Reaction score
its all white for me. this is my first diesel so I may just be a noob and have no idea what smoking bad means like others have said. Its about 0 here today and I just drove mine around. The white cloud it puts out while driving is pretty awesome, this morn i was in town and in my mirrors I couldn't see the cars behind me. It was like I was fogging for mosquitoes just tons of white smoke. after while it goes away like 15 mins or so

White_monster

Reaction score
its all white for me. this is my first diesel so I may just be a noob and have no idea what smoking bad means like others have said. Its about 0 here today and I just drove mine around. The white cloud it puts out while driving is pretty awesome, this morn i was in town and in my mirrors I couldn't see the cars behind me. It was like I was fogging for mosquitoes just tons of white smoke. after while it goes away like 15 mins or so

It's mostly steam and there's nothing you can do about it. The amount of exhaust coming out the exhaust pipe is way more than of a gas engine so the smoke seems way worse. Even not ******d you will get the same of smoke due to the temperature being cold outside.

JRLott

Reaction score
Mine looked about the same as the video posted this morning, just not as long. Vanes stayed open much longer than normal and the "smoke" pretty much quit after about 10 seconds. Vanes closed after about 16 seconds. The "smoke" was white and it did smell like diesel exhaust more than typical. It was only 19 for the low here though. No smoke driving, but again it was mid 20s and I let it run its 15 minutes d fault for remote start. Then restarted and left 3-5 minutes later. Oil was 98 by that time.

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
That white cloud that is forming after u hear the vgt activate is not smoke as much as it is steam that is being generated from the moisture in the exhaust gasses hitting the cold air and condensing.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I was driving a brand new Cadillac escalade for 2 weeks I North/South Dakota and it smoked like a pig for a minute at -25 to -35*F. It was funny. Lol.

It's just cold weather.... no worries.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Here is mine today it was about 0 f this morn. I am not a videographer so please ignore how the sound is jacked up. Sounds like my truck starts up twice have no idea how that happened I am obviously not the next youtube video maker sensation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TCQR9fkWwM

I don't know why Ford insists on high idle as soon as they roll over when it's that cold. Almost every other electronic controlled diesel starts and idles low for a minute or so and then ramp up.

08Monster

Reaction score
I'm starting to learn that new diesel owners that claim "smokes pretty good" is in fact nothing at all to be alarmed about...

You guys haven't seen smoke pretty good until you watch a 12v start at 0*F. Lol....
Most impressive I've seen was a 3516 gen set starting up at -10.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

08Monster

Reaction score
I was driving a brand new Cadillac escalade for 2 weeks I North/South Dakota and it smoked like a pig for a minute at -25 to -35*F. It was funny. Lol.

It's just cold weather.... no worries.
When was it -25 to -35 in ND? Coldest night yet was -29. It hasn't touched that since, tonight is shaping up to be the second coldest. -21 right now. I feel like when everyone posts really cold temp numbers, they are adding windchill in too.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
When was it -25 to -35 in ND? Coldest night yet was -29. It hasn't touched that since, tonight is shaping up to be the second coldest. -21 right now. I feel like when everyone posts really cold temp numbers, they are adding windchill in too.

SD. Aberdeen.

CATDiezel

Reaction score

SD. Aberdeen. Sometime between 12-10-16 and 12-21-16... all I can remember.

Drove out several mornings at -25. The -35 was ridiculous. Had a -54* chilling affect.

Real numbers. No wind chill..... SD was atleast 10 below colder at any given time during that 2 week stint. Williston was a heat wave at 0.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
6.7+5" duals+Race Tune+Cold Start=Hotel alarm clock. Everyone wakes up when I do. Also known as AWESOME LOL

Also looks like a boiler blow down too....
I park out past the end of the hotel so it isn't as bad for everyone to hear me wake up.. lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Dieseljay74

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My 2012 bellows a bit when it's cold here in Michigan. This morning it was 10* and it let out a decent amount for about a minute.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

morepower02

Reaction score
Wait... so a Diesel engine smokes when cold???? Oh my. Should see the 504 Moline engine in my tractor or the 540 Perkins in my Massey tractor that's if you have a can of ether. Newbies:D

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
just an FYI , i know mine is heavily modded , but bentley at h&s spent a long time ( well many mornings in utah ) trying to help with the smoke output on cold start , he tried everything, and it virtually never changed with many attempts of raised injection pressures and other thingsat start up. not saying that's applicable for a stock injector truck, but he wasn't able to do much with mine.