Need some opinions

PyroFighter

Reaction score
So looking at trading in my ram for a used 6.4 I found, it only has 109k miles. I had them send me an oasis report and well, it's had 3 injector pumps in its lifetime, last one being replaced just a few thousand miles ago. And one comment that concerned me, the tech stated at one point there was fuel in the oil when they changed the pump, only thing I see they did about it was change the oil and filter. I would assume the pumps went bad from lack of maintenance or dirty fuel. But the fuel in the oil has me worried. What do you guys think? Go for it and ****** it (truck is bone stock) or avoid it like the plague? Oh and it's a job 2 08.

tnutcher

Reaction score
Fuel in the oil is pretty common on a emissions compliant 6.4. The regen process tends to push fuel past rings during exhaust stroke and actually the engine oil level will increase. Check blow by level with truck running at operating temp, just remove oil fill cap - it should be able to rest in the hole, not threaded in at all, without blowing out. Smoke is normal, but that should give you an idea on the condition of the motor. If the cap blows off, I'd keep looking. Keep in mind though if the engine is over full on oil, that will cause excess blow by on a healthy motor. So ask when the last oil change was when you check blow by.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

PyroFighter

Reaction score
Fuel in the oil is pretty common on a emissions compliant 6.4. The regen process tends to push fuel past rings during exhaust stroke and actually the engine oil level will increase. Check blow by level with truck running at operating temp, just remove oil fill cap - it should be able to rest in the hole, not threaded in at all, without blowing out. Smoke is normal, but that should give you an idea on the condition of the motor. If the cap blows off, I'd keep looking. Keep in mind though if the engine is over full on oil, that will cause excess blow by on a healthy motor. So ask when the last oil change was when you check blow by.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info. But I just realized I misread the report. It says fuel entered the oil when putting a new injector pump on so they changed the oil. I'll definitely go drive it a while then check blow by.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
yes. get a 6.7 even if it is a base model or higher mile. 12 or newer.

Did you tow a lot or anything? I didn't figure they were that bad other than the dice roll of cracked pistons, my dad's 08 has been trouble free. Way to ruin my game plan lol but thanks for the tidbit.

Latest posts

Members online