Let talk oil

jimdawg185

Reaction score
And most of your 1000+ hp marine diesels and reduction gears...... use either Rotella or Delvac....... most oil changes are done every 500 to 750 hrs on engines....... reduction gears are every 5000 hrs or 12 months...... and that's with most engines turning 1800-2200 non-stop..... avg temp is 190-210 coolant...... engine room temp is 250/300 degrees during mid day....... day what you want about Rotella, but I've seen it in action for 17 hrs on river boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our marine application customers go thousands of hours. And we sell a lot of them. We have a test in Chile with Cummins and Komatsu where Mobil 1 would only make it to 400 hours in their large dumps with the centurion system, we are past 2400 hours without the centurion system. Probably go to 4-5000 hours with it, but for some reason Cummins wrote it out of the test. Nothing wrong with Shell or Mobil, but they don't need or want to make the best of anything. They need to make money, and they need to hit price points, and throughput ratios. We don't, we fill the ISO gaps for 55001, and that's where the demand for the higher quality products come into play. Our goals are to make products that separate lubricants as commodities and make them assets. That's our 55001 dig. And nobody else is in that fight, not yet anyway.

kcpanages

Reaction score
Our marine application customers go thousands of hours. And we sell a lot of them. We have a test in Chile with Cummins and Komatsu where Mobil 1 would only make it to 400 hours in their large dumps with the centurion system, we are past 2400 hours without the centurion system. Probably go to 4-5000 hours with it, but for some reason Cummins wrote it out of the test. Nothing wrong with Shell or Mobil, but they don't need or want to make the best of anything. They need to make money, and they need to hit price points, and throughput ratios. We don't, we fill the ISO gaps for 55001, and that's where the demand for the higher quality products come into play. Our goals are to make products that separate lubricants as commodities and make them assets. That's our 55001 dig. And nobody else is in that fight, not yet anyway.

I get ya.... never knocked the oil you promote..... I prefer Rotella due to how long we have used it at home and 17 yrs of abuse in the engine room offshore

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I get ya.... never knocked the oil you promote..... I prefer Rotella due to how long we have used it at home and 17 yrs of abuse in the engine room offshore

I didn't think you were, I was just trying to find a reason to tell everyone about the Komatsu test lol. I'm pretty stoked. Took 3 years to get Cummins to let us even start the test.

kcpanages

Reaction score
But in a HEUI engine, it shears like you are cutting paper with a pair of scissors.

While it may be a pretty good lubricant, it's a crappy hydraulic fluid. To work in our engines, it must do both jobs well.

And HEUI was developed by who? Non other than CATERPILLAR, and Caterpillar is HUGE in offshore machines/vessels....... never once had an issue with lube oil failure..... EMD runs off of oil pressure/hydrologics...... and Mitsubishi plus Volvo have Diesel engines that are operated by oil/hydrolic pressure.......

kcpanages

Reaction score
I didn't think you were, I was just trying to find a reason to tell everyone about the Komatsu test lol. I'm pretty stoked. Took 3 years to get Cummins to let us even start the test.

Cummins in the MARINE application really suck..... in the last 6 years that I PERSONALLY dealt with Cummins in the engine room...... had nothing but fuel filtration and injection issues......

kcpanages

Reaction score

Centurion? Are you talking about a filtration spinner system?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Centurion? Are you talking about a filtration spinner system?

It's a system on large engines that removes oil and feeds fresh oil to extend drains.

kcpanages

Reaction score
It's a system on large engines that removes oil and feeds fresh oil to extend drains.

Gotcha........ I know on the EMDs we use a external centrifuge system for filtration...... but NEVER change the oil. Just check oil level daily, fill as needed....... keep in mind, they are a 2stroke diesel, that the EPA is trying to phase out.........

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Gotcha........ I know on the EMDs we use a external centrifuge system for filtration...... but NEVER change the oil. Just check oil level daily, fill as needed....... keep in mind, they are a 2stroke diesel, that the EPA is trying to phase out.........

Those work good, except anti foam agents are removed generally so if the consumption isn't balanced you can end up with cavitation issues. Generally long term though, nothing catastrophic, usually. Air release isn't a huge issue in those for the most part.

kcpanages

Reaction score
Those work good, except anti foam agents are removed generally so if the consumption isn't balanced you can end up with cavitation issues. Generally long term though, nothing catastrophic, usually. Air release isn't a huge issue in those for the most part.

Yes, but there is a pot reservoir with the system...... it's been used since the 70's..... if you know an EMD.......... you know the system...... but we are talking about an oil pan that holds about 40 to 50 gallons...... depending on size

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Yes, but there is a pot reservoir with the system...... it's been used since the 70's..... if you know an EMD.......... you know the system...... but we are talking about an oil pan that holds about 40 to 50 gallons...... depending on size

Oh yeah, I've worked with them. My focus is always the oil like a doctor focusing on the blood. I actively avoid wrenching to keep that focus. A tech asked me why I didn't bring simple tools to a gearbox change over last week. It's by design, not that I can't get in and help, it's that if anything happens my insurance goes through the roof. So I stick with my expertise. No matter how much I want to tear into stuff. Just about anyone will sue you these days.

ja_cain

Reaction score

Awesome! Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score

That is interesting technology. I need to look into that.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Got my order from Jim. Super stoked to get this stuff in the tractors and truck. Will try to do uoa's on the current Delo and then the LE.
eed26a3f66e6404ffd4a4ab00fa15d87.jpg

taterthedog

Reaction score
That is interesting technology. I need to look into that.

It adds the old oil into the fuel and burns it. You just keep filling up the reservoir. On our engines we run a centrifuge called the Eliminator instead of oil filters. The system that burns the old oil is called Centinel I think. It's on large Cummins engines.

ja_cain

Reaction score
It adds the old oil into the fuel and burns it. You just keep filling up the reservoir. On our engines we run a centrifuge called the Eliminator instead of oil filters. The system that burns the old oil is called Centinel I think. It's on large Cummins engines.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've got some reading/research to do. :)

jimdawg185

Reaction score

That's the one. I'm translating from Chilean, lol.

Latest posts