Oil cooler Alliant vs oem

JRH

Reaction score
I see lots about the Dorman oil cooler being a piece of junk but have not seen any positive or negative reviews about the one from alliant. I found a source somewhat locally and here is the write up:

The oil cooler we supply is an aftermarket replacement supplied by Alliant Power. Alliant Power uses a similar OE design to maximize it's cooling effectiveness.The Alliant Power oil cooler meets or exceeds the OE specification in all areas. Some of the highlights of the Alliant Power oil cooler are:
Burst pressure exceeds 7 bar standard by 5X (41.25 bar Avg)
Pressure cycling 0-7 bar: 112,038 cycles without failure (leaks or visible deformation)
Stud torque exceeds 16 ft lb spec (22.25 ft lbs avg to failure)
Increase in pressure drop on water circuit vs. OE
Decrease in pressure drop on oil circuit vs. OE
Increased heat rejection vs. OE
Warranty is less than 0.3% and often are the result of shipping damage and no fault of the product.
Also the majority of the gaskets supplied by Alliant Power they source either directly from the OE or through Victor Reinz in cases where the OE product needs improvement.If you want to purchase the oil cooler or the just the gasket set I have attached the links below.
2003-2007 Ford F Series 6.0 L PowerStroke Engine Oil Cooler Gasket Kit
Ford PowerStroke 6.0L 2003-2007 F Series Engine Oil Cooler Kit

Any one have experience with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
how much is it? OEM units from 200-300 seem cheap enough to not go aftermarket,

JRH

Reaction score
Canadian 435, the ford one is around 750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
Not much posted on all the 6.0L forums regarding the Alliant cooler.

Are you doing the work yourself? If so (and if you don't mind doing it again), then go for it. Otherwise you may find (and you may not), that the $315 extra was worth it.

Regardless, keep us informed of what you choose to do.

Mdub707

Reaction score
If memory serves, the issue with the Dorman coolers wasn't actually with the cooler itself, it was the gasket they used, which crumbled and disintegrated. I want to say I remember reading about a few people using the Dorman cooler and ordering a Motorcraft gasket to use and having no issues, but don't hold me to that.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I just replaced a dorman oil cooler because like stated above the gaskets fell apart. Had oil in the coolant and leaking oil externally. Most off the pieces of the gasket were clogging up the hpop screen. Was a matter of time before it was all sent through the hpop. Not worth the risk imo.
7891c07ecebf9bcaca81a0fbc3f0df75.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online