Zf 6 info

psduser1

Reaction score
Alright fellas, I tore up a zf thru sheer dumbs!!t. Jimdawg has a sight glass that I think will work to make life easier for me to keep an eye on fluid level and quality, but I need the thread pitch and size of the fill port. The idea is to replace the plug with a sight glass, and with the trans slightly over full, a quick glance will tell me that a)there is actually fluid there
b)at least an idea of fluid quality
Since it's Saturday, and I'm 800 miles from my truck, I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with some info.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Here's a couple pictures of what we're talking about.

9d1814195867e0feceb3e25f89a2c628.jpg

Here's one in my 6.4 diff, been in there 100k miles. It's on an angle button flat land it's half way up. This is 1605, it's purple before anyone asks why it's so dark.

610979423a267a9c8b489f27b72a157c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ju015dd

Reaction score
Alright fellas, I tore up a zf thru sheer dumbs!!t. Jimdawg has a sight glass that I think will work to make life easier for me to keep an eye on fluid level and quality, but I need the thread pitch and size of the fill port. The idea is to replace the plug with a sight glass, and with the trans slightly over full, a quick glance will tell me that a)there is actually fluid there
b)at least an idea of fluid quality
Since it's Saturday, and I'm 800 miles from my truck, I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with some info.

This sounds like a good idea ,will have to do this too

79jasper

Reaction score
I think fast coolers makes a finned cooler for the pto ports. Adds some capacity too, but I believe they have a sight glass.
Could be an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Any updates?
Sorry, been buried, lol.
New trans is working well, still have the gear rollover. I'm not sure what oil Aaron filled it with, but I'm going to change it over to le if I can get an afternoon to actually do it. It's got about 10k on it since the swap.
I think fast coolers makes a finned cooler for the pto ports. Adds some capacity too, but I believe they have a sight glass.
Could be an option.

I already have a 6.0 trans cooler plumbed in, should be enough cooling capacity, which is why I am interested in the fillport sightglass.
The last trans failed because I never noticed a leak, and they won't last without fluid, lol.

psduser1

Reaction score
Got my truck in for service this afternoon. Oil, filters, and, of course, trans fluid.
I measured the drain and fill plugs (same size plugs), and they measure out at 22mm/1.75tpi.
Jim is going to set me up with a sightglass, and that'll make things a bit more convenient!
On a side note, the oil in the trans was daaarrrk! Less than 20k miles. Hopefully, just carryover from the trans swap, and another fluid change will clear that up.

79jasper

Reaction score
Another option would be to get a 3/4 npt pipe tap. It's just the right size you can run it in without having to enlarge the hole.

Latest posts

Members online