6.0 Oil pressure gauge not working

cplee1311

Reaction score
drove the truck the other day with no issues... went to start it after sitting for 10 hours or so and noticed the "check gauges' light on and noticed the oil pressure needle was below L. truck started and drove fine. occasionally the needle would pop back to its normal spot and then return below the L
so far i have replaced the EOP switch and oil filter just to make sure with no success either time
i am running the stock oil filter and cap with rotella T6 oil

i am looking for a way to test the plug to see if i can narrow down the problem. i tried grounding the switch out with the truck running and got 12v when i poked through the wire but only 0.5v when i stuck the probe into the clip. both times i had someone watch the dash to see if the gauge moved which it didnt. i realize its not as much a gauge as it is an indicator light

could it possibly be that i need to replace the pigtail to the sender? i have heard of the failures of the switch with oil leaking out but did not have that issue.

BTW truck is a late 04

Thanks in advance

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Is this early 04 with the alum pump? You may actually have low oil pressure if the check ball fell out of the HPOP

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
:whs: It is more than likely the ball fell out of the pump. Put a manual gauge on it to verify you actually have a loss of pressure first though.

cplee1311

Reaction score
I am not sure what pump is in the truck as the previous owner supposedly replaced the hpop. I just know the truck falls under the "late 04" production date. I am installing a bpd oil cooler this weekend so I can check it out when I am in there. Would the ball missing affect my high pressure oil? On my insight I am running normal high pressure 1000-1600 with tune from Vivian. Or does it affect the building of pressure from the low pressure pump?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
They run fine, except at idle, where the leak ks larger than the restriction, causing base issues. If you have the cast iron cover, it has the troublesome pump. Being an 04, it should have the pump ctc was talking about.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Take your old ops and match the threads with a gauge kit that you can borrow from a parts store and test base

cplee1311

Reaction score
What sort of pressure should I be looking for at idle. And at what pressure would I say it's too low and to assume the hpop is bad.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
12-25 hot idle and 40 @ 1800 Ron

I believe the eop trips around 4psi.

You don't have any sort of thumping through intake do you?

cplee1311

Reaction score
Just to update and get an idea of what is going on, i tried to test today with a gauge and could not find a fitting to connect into the port the the eop switch threads into. I have seen a bunch of different sizes being thrown around and not sure which is correct.
Not to allow today to be a complete waste, I took the filter out and jumped the starter and observed the filter housing filling up at a rate that seemed equal to other videos i have watched. I also listened for the thumping/popping noise to come from the intake and did not hear that.
Lastly i reconnected everything and started the truck up (immediately fired up) and watched the ICP, IPR, and FICM.
IPR only reached 45% before the truck started and returned to ~30% for warmup.
ICP spiked too fast for me to see what it was when the truck started but maintained 1100
psi during warmup.
FICM stayed between 47.5 and 48v the entire time.
I am beginning to think its electrical (possible the new switch is bad) or a short in the harness or an issue with the cluster itself. I guess i cant really tell because i dont have the actual oil pressure at the switch.
Any other ideas? Or do you know what thread the port is on the housing?
Do these testing results sound normal with the ball falling out of the HPOP? Like i said the truck acts completely normal it just is displaying low oil pressure.

Joshf250

Reaction score
I have a 2005 and my truck just started doing this immediately after I downloaded my new tune from Vivian, I'm going to call and see if something just needs to be adjusted to fix the problem. i will let you know if i figure something out.

Latest posts

Members online