Prepping for Carli kit

95cobby

Reaction score
Can someone with the Carli 4.5" Pintop kit tell me the length of the shock tubes for the front and rears along with the Resi's? I'm going to order a roll of 3M Scotchgard clear film to wrap the shocks before installing them so I don't have to worry about rust or corrosion. Kit should be shipping soon and I want to get them wrapped as soon as they get here so I can get that thing installed!

Lengths:
Front Tube -
Front Resi -
Rear Tube -
Rear Resi -

Also, I know there's a lot of debate on whether shock boots are a good idea or not.. but I plan on putting some on the rears to start. Should help eliminate all the debris being thrown at them

Where's the best place to get a 400lb torque wrench... or will my 3/4" impact do the trick? lol

For those of you that have installed the kit yourselves.. any helpful tips?
Thanks in advance!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Doesn't the Carli run King shocks?

If so, get them pre-coated from King. After 5yrs on my '12 they look pretty bad. Was going to get them rebuilt and coated until I learned it was $350/shock and a month and a half minimum. Decided to run them as is on the '16.

If you are talking about the bolt at the frame for the trackbar...just take it to Ford. I just did mine and they torqued it for free in 5min. Said I'd only gotten it to around 320. I put some azz on it too.

Last edited:

95cobby

Reaction score
Doesn't the Carli run King shocks?

If so, get them pre-coated from King. After 5yrs on my '12 they look pretty bad. Was going to get them rebuilt and coated until I learned it was $350/shock and a month and a half minimum. Decided to run them as is on the '16.

If you are talking about the bolt at the frame for the trackbar...just take it to Ford. I just did mine and they torqued it for free in 5min. Said I'd only gotten it to around 320. I put some azz on it too.

Yea the Pintop kit comes with the Kings. I'm not going to have them coated. Just planned on wrapping the shock tubes in a 3m wrap instead. I wanted to order a roll but I'm not sure how much I'll need.

I was thinking that also.. just go to a shop and borrow theirs for the track bar and rear leafs afterwards. Might end up just doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st last59

Reaction score
I just ordered some matte black to wrap mine. I bought a used kit so I'm just gonna make them black and get some new Carli stickers

95cobby

Reaction score
how did you make out? I plan on doing the same kit.

Ended up just getting a long ass roll of 3M and some boots from Kartek. Kit showed up today so I'll post some pictures here in the next day or so with the wrap and boots installed. For now here's some eye candy lol.

Deff hit up Mike for a Carli kit.. he'll make you a deal you can't refuse :thumbsup:

5e469d862e26d41bb7926aca820d65f7.jpg

aae86f1f059dfb78921e647c83480e8e.jpg

Last edited:

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Damn now my pants dont fit right in the front......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ended up just getting a long ass roll of 3M and some boots from Kartek. Kit showed up today so I'll post some pictures here in the next day or so with the wrap and boots installed. For now here's some eye candy lol.

Deff hit up Mike for a Carli kit.. he'll make you a deal you can't refuse :thumbsup:

5e469d862e26d41bb7926aca820d65f7.jpg

aae86f1f059dfb78921e647c83480e8e.jpg

hellz yeah buddy. looks sick !

automoto

Reaction score
95cobby thats a thing of beauty!!! i also thought about a clear vinyl and some boots for protection. I live on the NJ coast about 15 mins from the beach and the salt air and winters here like to f*ck stuff up. bigrpower sent you a pm

Last edited:

1st last59

Reaction score
I'm almost positive that all Carli spec'd king shocks come with stainless shafts. So no need for boots. Plus I feel the boots are kinda like a bandaid on a sore. It's best to let em air out than hold stuff in the boots. Cause stuff will still get in them and it will be harder to get out.

95cobby

Reaction score
I'm almost positive that all Carli spec'd king shocks come with stainless shafts. So no need for boots. Plus I feel the boots are kinda like a bandaid on a sore. It's best to let em air out than hold stuff in the boots. Cause stuff will still get in them and it will be harder to get out.

Yea the shafts are stainless and I'm sure they would be fine for where I live and the fact I don't go off-roading with it really. But the rear would still get all kinds of debris thrown at them so I choose to put them on.

Clear 3M and the boots

0dfd5ad358b00eaac28b89aae9d285b7.jpg

Jomax

Reaction score
Yea the shafts are stainless and I'm sure they would be fine for where I live and the fact I don't go off-roading with it really. But the rear would still get all kinds of debris thrown at them so I choose to put them on.

Clear 3M and the boots

0dfd5ad358b00eaac28b89aae9d285b7.jpg

I'd deal with the debris, those shock covers look like crap. I had carli shocks and hammered them HARD. I wouldn't worry at all about the shocks.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I sure hope the shafts are not stainless. Stainless is not a very strong material. I would hope they are hardened steel like 4140/4340 with a very good hard chrome.

I suspect this is what they are, but doubt King will tell you.

FYI: Mine have 70kmi on them and I just cleaned the shafts. They look like new.

Jomax

Reaction score
I sure hope the shafts are not stainless. Stainless is not a very strong material. I would hope they are hardened steel like 4140/4340 with a very good hard chrome.

I suspect this is what they are, but doubt King will tell you.

FYI: Mine have 70kmi on them and I just cleaned the shafts. They look like new.

Carli specs their shocks with stainless steel shafts

Jgon08

Reaction score
Seeing this I think I need some kings and a set coilovers for my front now. Should be a killer set up I'm jealous.

95cobby

Reaction score
I'd deal with the debris, those shock covers look like crap. I had carli shocks and hammered them HARD. I wouldn't worry at all about the shocks.

Yea I agree they aren't the best looking thing under the truck. I'm going to run them and see how they hold up, the material is nice and they aren't as bright blue as in the picture, prolly the lighting.

Anyone looking to get them from Kartec, get the 2" covers and stretch them over the shock tubes, worked great for me as I saw the recommendation on the Raptor forums.

And since we're on the topic, I put them on the front also.
61e4c6204900f5bdf612286ac0497763.jpg

95cobby

Reaction score
For the 3m clear wrap.. I ended up getting an 8"x132" roll and it worked perfect for all 4 shocks and resi's along with the dual King steering stabilizers. If you just wanted to do the shocks you can subtract about 26" as the smaller king 2.0s measured at about 13 5/16".

By circumference the 2.5" shock tubes themselves are a tad larger than 2.5" so the 8" wrap will fit great without trimming. The resi's were a bit closer to a true 2.5" and I had to trim the 8" wrap just slightly. A little bottle with a water/soap solution, another with a water/alcohol solution, a squeegee, and a few beers and I was good to go. Trimming and installing prolly took me a couple hours and they turned out great.

Latest posts

Members online