Weak cranking

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I did a search and can't find a answer . My truck has new batteries but the other day it cranked like they were weak. It doesn't take much or long for it to fire but the second or so before it does the truck sounds like the battiers are dying. I'm gonna get them checked but they are only about 4 months old.

I had my starter replaced roughly 4 years ago could that be going bad? I don't have a way to test anything but all my connections are clean and look good. It's always something with this truck.

David N

Reaction score
If you're sure the batteries are good then I'd say the starter. Also, is the starter a gear reduction starter? Either way, make sure if you buy one that the new one is. I switched over a few years ago and it starts much better now.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If you're sure the batteries are good then I'd say the starter. Also, is the starter a gear reduction starter? Either way, make sure if you buy one that the new one is. I switched over a few years ago and it starts much better now.
those are 02 model year and up right?or 01 and up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thanks guys truck is a 02. I just started it and it was worse than yesterday I'm not shutting it off gonna drive to autozone to see if they can test the battiers. I will post when I get back home.

dmd

Reaction score
I test batteries by charging the up on the work bench and then letting them sit over night
before using a load tester on them. That always finds the bad one.

Also, check the cables near the batteries for swelling caused by corrosion inside
the plastic. Don't ignore the ground either.

So far my 7.3 starting issues have always been a bad battery.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys . They guy at autozone said everything checked out ok. He tested the battiers , alternator and starter. Not sure how good those testers really are though .

79jasper

Reaction score
How did they check the starter?
Those machines don't put a load on it, just free spin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
How did they check the starter?
Those machines don't put a load on it, just free spin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

By the battery tester he had. He hooked it up to the battery and pushed a button to a setting and said it was good as I started the truck. He just had some hand held thing.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
That's not exactly a true test. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Lol kinda what I was thinking but all I can do at this point. Luckily it fires quick I guess you could say not but a second of cranking and she lights. I will just keep driving to a minimum as my health has me at home most of the time. I will keep you guys posted as this truck acts different day by day lol.

Thank you to everyone who replied it's a huge help and the reason why this is the best powerstroke site on the web.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I would just go grab a starter from any part store and throw it on. If it doesn't fix it you can always put the old one back on and return the new one. Just make sure you wipe the new one off if it got dirty. That's what I would do anyway.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I would just go grab a starter from any part store and throw it on. If it doesn't fix it you can always put the old one back on and return the new one. Just make sure you wipe the new one off if it got dirty. That's what I would do anyway.

You have a good point, I was looking at starters online and there are several and not sure what to buy. I know when the old starter went bad it was slow to crank and I thought it was my batteries. I had the starter changed and holy smokes did that thing turn over quick lol.
It's amazing how quick these engines will turn over with a new starter.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I test batteries by charging the up on the work bench and then letting them sit over night
before using a load tester on them. That always finds the bad one.

Also, check the cables near the batteries for swelling caused by corrosion inside
the plastic. Don't ignore the ground either.

So far my 7.3 starting issues have always been a bad battery.
you dont have to wait over night.. if they are fully charged and you hit them with a load tester and it fails right away then that is a given. but if it doesnt fail right away then do as you said. charge them up and let them sit.. more than likely by morning they will fail too.. if not, then its probably a bad ground or the starter is giving up.. or solenoid on fender had bad internals and isnt contacting proper to allow propper voltage/amperage to the starter..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
You have a good point, I was looking at starters online and there are several and not sure what to buy. I know when the old starter went bad it was slow to crank and I thought it was my batteries. I had the starter changed and holy smokes did that thing turn over quick lol.

It's amazing how quick these engines will turn over with a new starter.

You want the one that looks like this. I always get the new ones rather than reman ones. Even if I warranty it I argue with them until I get the new one anyway. I bought a new one originally and I want another new one to replace it.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Forgot the pic in the last post.
01f048f021223a578079506bf954682e.png

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thanks, my truck hasn't been driven much here this past month. Maybe once a week if that it starts when I need it to just keep a eye on it is all I can do at the moment. Thanks again guys for all the suggestions.

Latest posts

Members online