Advice on 7.3 rebuild kits

Petkox18

Reaction score
I have a late 99 super duty with a 7.3L that I believe is in desperate need of a rebuild. I had the transmission out a few month ago and when we were replacing the flexplate I could turn the motor over by hand with the flexplate. My buddy told me it was very low compression for these motors. So I've been trying to find the best rebuild kits for these 7.3s so I can go ahead and rebuild this one before it's completely dies. The truck only has 290,000 on the clock

Petkox18

Reaction score
I would still like some guidance as to where to go for rebuild kits and parts. I know these motors are kinda picky with the aftermarket

Reaction score
I would still like some guidance as to where to go for rebuild kits and parts. I know these motors are kinda picky with the aftermarket

We also have rebuild kits here as well just have not had time to get them up on the site as we do a LOT of engines here at the shop.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Yes first thing to do is pull the motor tear it down and take measurements. Then order that kit based on thay. This will be a plus because it lets you know if you need to do machine work. My old 7.3 had 242k when it cracked a piston. I was able to ball hone the cylinders and go back with all standard bearings and pistons for everything. I got the block and heads hot tanked and cam bearings pressed in. Other than that everything can be done very easily at home. Just takes time and patience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Petkox18

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Where could I go to get a compression tester? None of the local parts stores have them

Latest posts

Members online