Missing nut causing boost leak.

strokeofgenius

Reaction score
My truck is currently in the shop with the cab off. I am having up pipes and oil cooler replaced for obvious reasons. My mechanic sent me this picture and said that this nut missing was 90% issue that I thought was the up pipes. Any input on validity?

Thanks for any help.
3549ac2af89c676a152f0fb3a186f329.jpg
aae43f799212f9c0b71878874cc64d27.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

strokeofgenius

Reaction score
He said that the pipe that connects the two turbos together had seperated and had a pretty large gap. I could still build about 40 psi but it squealed like I had a belt slipping.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Something isn't quite right...
That nut missing could let the back pressure sensor move around and maybe crack the pipe. But I've had mine basically loose hanging for 150k miles with no issue.
And the gap between the turbos can appear miss leading. Unless this guy has done a few I'd be suspect of his diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strokeofgenius

Reaction score
He has never done one before. From the picture he sent you can see an oily mess on the bottom of the turbo i assumed that was from the gap and the oil from ccv. He is still installing my new up pipes but told me that was the majority of my problem. He is only charging me 500 labor , so was still a hell of a deal.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
He has never done one before. From the picture he sent you can see an oily mess on the bottom of the turbo i assumed that was from the gap and the oil from ccv. He is still installing my new up pipes but told me that was the majority of my problem. He is only charging me 500 labor , so was still a hell of a deal.

The turbos look like they might have a gap when they don't. Not that it's impossible, but a lot of things have to shift for that to happen.
It's a good deal as long as he gets those turbos back on right. That drain is a pita sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Constructionworker

Reaction score
I had the exact same nut come off or wasn't put back on by Ford. The missing nut allowed the elbow that connects the two turbos together to move a little causing a high pitched noise. I got the elbow connected and a new nut and the noise went away.

TD-5

Reaction score
That nut is one of several fasteners that hold the cross over tube mounting bracket in place. There would need to be a lot more missing or loose to allow the cross over tube to move. Nothing is impossible though, one of the seals in the cross over tube could be NFG and leaking. The turbos themselves cannot come apart from each other once the are mounted in place.

Attachments

• x-over mounting1.JPG
    x-over mounting1.JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 67
  • x-over mounting2.JPG
    x-over mounting2.JPG
    742.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.4 turbo flow pic.jpg
    6.4 turbo flow pic.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Cross-over tube1.jpg
    Cross-over tube1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 65

sootie

Reaction score
I had the u-shape tube slide back enough on mine to cause a leak around 50 psi. A couple studs were broken off in the rocker box.

boggerr

Reaction score
While he has the cab up tell him to check out all the exhaust manifold bolts

I would have him change the seals in that elbow just to be safe

ghohouston

Reaction score
^ this. My first 6.4 egr ******, i removed the horizontal cooler bracket, and forgot to re install the bolts in the manifold, had an awful hiss.