Calipers getting loose

Dirtclod

Reaction score
This has happened several times. After someone works on my truck or even me the calipers will loosen. I use thread lock and torque down to spec. What is doing this?

rosspulliam

Reaction score
The caliper bracket to spindle bolts or the caliper to caliper bracket bolts?

I've had my calipers and brackets off numerous times and never seen this happen. The slide pins need to have the correct orientation in order to seat in the pocket of the caliper correctly to provide the proper clamping force. Perhaps you're not paying attention to slide pin orientation?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I know what you're talking about the slide pins and certainly it's possible. But anyone else who's done work on it has done same thing. I was pulling my travel trailers couple years ago from Indiana back to NC. Before I left out I had new seals in axles installed by a reputable mechanic. He knows what he's doing. As I was fixn to start down the WV turnpike I thought I'd check it out up front cause some just didn't seem right. Sure enough the bolts were backing off. Thank god I checked, 12klbs + coming through those grades would've been disaster.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Anyways thanks for the advice. Since I put new tires rotors and pads and replaced the front calipers it drives and rides like a new one. Rough as hell! Lol! Na it actually pretty darn good considering it's a big ass tough as hell truck. Love my 7three

rosspulliam

Reaction score
I've never heard of having to replace brackets or bolts on the front. You have to pull the bracket in order to change the rotor.

I think the torque on them is pretty high. Like 140 lb-ft on the front and 120 on the rear? Something like that, I'd have to look it up. I've never used loctite on the bracket to spindle bolts. I lean towards the bolts being stretched as the problem over the bracket being the problem. I'd wager some dumbass put an impact on it and slammed them home instead of properly torquing them.

I vote new bolts, even if you do pull them and give them a little loctite.