No start/cutout after overheat - Electrical?

67Charger

Reaction score
No, the motor is not seized. Water is not getting in the oil or vice versa. It has an electrical issue. There. Now, read on.

I have the family loaded up in the Ex heading north on I-15 through Bartsow yesterday when suddenly the motor bucked twice and then the tach fell to 0 and we were coasting. In the fast lane. In Friday afternoon Vegas-bound traffic. We managed to merge over to the right, coast up an off-ramp, over the bridge and about 3/4 mile down the road towards town. Temp gauge never read over normal (and that makes sense even still)

Once stopped, first thing I noticed afoul, aside from occasional smoke whisps, was that the coolant reservoir was empty. 2 minute later, I found the lower radiator hose was off the radiator. Over the course of the next hour, I filled the engine slowly with water. Massive boiling as it was trickled in. After it quit taking water about 5 gallons later, I tried to start it to get the water to circulate and purge, and also to see if it could run and determine the damage after that.

The first time, it started up after about 15 seconds of cranking, ran for 5 seconds, bucked, stumbled for 2 seconds then quit. Water began boiling hard again, and the level dropped. I waited a few minutes, added more water, and tried it again. Same result. Repeat process about 5 more times, each time it would run a little longer before bucking, running rough and dying. Finally, I got it to not die by revving it a bit and it managed to recover and then resume idle. We closed the hood with the goals of 1) get closer to civilization and 2) continue diagnosis and ascertain the condition of the engine.

It ran fine, normal even, for 2 miles then died at a stop sign. It fired right up, and went another mile before dying at a stop light. No restart. Hasn't since. I rolled backwards into a parking lot. After each crank attempt, the upper fuel filter and frame mounted pump are emitting a very noticeable whine for about 10 seconds, then shut off.

Come on guys, give me an epiphany. Did I cook the FICM, kill the cam sensor, melt a seal in the fuel pressure regulator up in the upper filter housing? I don't have my AE scanner with me. I had the truck towed to the tow yard and proceeded to Montana in a rental Suburban. When I get home in 8 days, I'll ether tow it to my shop, or to a dealer for a diagnosis.

...and GO!

sootie

Reaction score
is it out of fuel? Not much to go on without a monitor of some sort....icp? ipr duty cycle? ficm voltage?

obviously the temp gauge didnt read hot-there was no coolant in it to read! Who know what temps it got to.

Undo the oil filter and see what condition the standpipe is in., couldve melted it from high oil temps. Could be oil pressure issue keeping it from starting.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yes, pull the oil filter and inspect. Usually when they get that hot they melt the stand pipe, and if you have melted plastic going through the oil system it may not start/run very easy.

Like Sootie said, not much else to go on without some way of monitoring things.

67Charger

Reaction score
I am still up in Montana and the truck is in the tow yard until I return. I'll hook it up to the AE Scanner and get more answers Saturday or Sunday.

Definitely not out of fuel. Filled up 80 miles earlier at our usual station.

There may be something to the oil pressure thought... I did notice the pressure seemed to come up a little more delayed than usual upon start-up after the overheat. I'll look at that when I get back.

The fuel whining has me really perplexed, though. It is new.

67Charger

Reaction score
OK. Batteries were dead when I got it back. Charging now. I am getting FICM sync (good), ICP of 0.18V at rest (good), and rises during cranking (good). ICP only comes up to about 75 (bad, I am pretty sure), and I am assuming that is PSI. Fuel pump is still whining heavily when cycled with the key. Upper filter housing buzzez and vibrates.

What should HPOP pressure be during cranking?

sootie

Reaction score
Check the ***kin oil standpipe before you ruin the engine!

ICP needs to be 500 to fire. Unplug the sensor and see if it fires, if it does then the sensor is bad. If it doesn't, you have an oil pressure issue.

webb06

Reaction score
Check the ***kin oil standpipe before you ruin the engine!

ICP needs to be 500 to fire. Unplug the sensor and see if it fires, if it does then the sensor is bad. If it doesn't, you have an oil pressure issue.

What he said....pull the oil filter and check. That engine got HOT running down the road with no coolant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts