Cab off repair and lift installed on my 6.4

sootie

Reaction score
I've never seen any six four, with a regrind or replacement cam, not have valve impressions on the pistons after some use with a race tune. Way more valve float on these things than people account for. Couple that with more rigid pushrods and low tolerance and you have a game of whack a mole

FourEyed

Reaction score
Spoke to the machine shop.

He didn't recall piston protrusion exactly, but said it was high teens .16-.18. Said specs called for max of .32 and it was under that.

Valve recession was set at .19.

All he really did was assemble the short block, and bolt on the heads. I installed the rest of the valvetrain and fuel lines. I would really rather not rip it all apart again at this point, but if you guys are really thinking it will be an issue I don't think I have a choice but to clay it and check p/v clearance.

Zeb

Reaction score
Spoke to the machine shop.

He didn't recall piston protrusion exactly, but said it was high teens .16-.18. Said specs called for max of .32 and it was under that.

Valve recession was set at .19.

All he really did was assemble the short block, and bolt on the heads. I installed the rest of the valvetrain and fuel lines. I would really rather not rip it all apart again at this point, but if you guys are really thinking it will be an issue I don't think I have a choice but to clay it and check p/v clearance.

Piston protrusion sounds good. Valve recession is toward the shallow end for a Stage 2 cam.

I’d be a bit leary to just take his word for it. You’re a days work and some gaskets away from knowing EXACTLY what you have. I’d be checking it. It’s cheaper to do it now and know, than have to fix it later.

FourEyed

Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree with you... There is just too much $ on the line to take any chances.

This sucks. I even asked RCD when I bought everything if I should just go ahead with valve reliefs and they told me it wasn't needed. If I don't have enough clearance I'll have to see if they would be willing to take these pistons back so I'm not out $$ and can just pay the upcharge for the correct pistons.

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree with you... There is just too much $ on the line to take any chances.

This sucks. I even asked RCD when I bought everything if I should just go ahead with valve reliefs and they told me it wasn't needed. If I don't have enough clearance I'll have to see if they would be willing to take these pistons back so I'm not out $$ and can just pay the upcharge for the correct pistons.

You shouldn’t have to exchange pistons.

I would check your clearances with a set of solid lifters and adjustable pushrods to see what p to v clearance you actually have. Once you have those numbers post up what you find and we can go from there.

If your piston protrusion is actually 0.016”-0.018” I would recommend leaving the pistons alone and getting the valves set to the deep end of factory spec and you’ll most likely be good at that point.

Gotta have actual number first tho.

sootie

Reaction score
ya-my experience also. All the cam resellers say "drop in". unfortunately real life says different. Just machine the pistons you have.

FourEyed

Reaction score
These pistons are coated..otherwise that would be a good option.

Tomorrow I will have some help, and we will be checking the p/v clearance. What is the minimum clearance I would need for this setup? If it's too tight, I will have to swap pistons to ones with fly cut's..

Zeb

Reaction score
These pistons are coated..otherwise that would be a good option.

Tomorrow I will have some help, and we will be checking the p/v clearance. What is the minimum clearance I would need for this setup? If it's too tight, I will have to swap pistons to ones with fly cut's..

0.035” clearance is considered the minimum.

I’d cut the pistons you have and/or set valve recession deeper before spending for fly cut pistons. The coating is gonna disappear after a few minutes of run time anyway.

FourEyed

Reaction score
Checked a couple cylinders. was a pita, and took some time, but tightest clearance we could come up with was .036 on the intake and .052 on the exhaust.

I'm going to run it. feels a lot better now knowing for sure what I have though.

Thanks to those that gave me the heads up to look into it.

Zeb

Reaction score
Checked a couple cylinders. was a pita, and took some time, but tightest clearance we could come up with was .036 on the intake and .052 on the exhaust.

I'm going to run it. feels a lot better now knowing for sure what I have though.

Thanks to those that gave me the heads up to look into it.

Did you use solid lifters and adjustable pushrods to do the checking?

FourEyed

Reaction score
I'm not the expert.. it was more of a watch and learn venture for me.

But he did bring his own lifters that he uses for checking, and put in lighter test springs and different pushrods. Everything had to come apart it was a pain. Tested it before at and after tdc for each. Checked it at #1 and #6. Those were the closest tolerances we could find.

Zeb

Reaction score
I'm not the expert.. it was more of a watch and learn venture for me.

But he did bring his own lifters that he uses for checking, and put in lighter test springs and different pushrods. Everything had to come apart it was a pain. Tested it before at and after tdc for each. Checked it at #1 and #6. Those were the closest tolerances we could find.

Sounds like it was measured correctly. :clapping::clapping:

webb06

Reaction score
What Zeb said the coating will be gone before you do the first oil change.

What makes you think the coating comes off? I just had a 6.4 apart that had coated pistons installed 20k miles ago and they all looked fine, except for the cracked one.
305470e3c52171a135df0f82adc8741e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
What makes you think the coating comes off? I just had a 6.4 apart that had coated pistons installed 20k miles ago and they all looked fine, except for the cracked one.
305470e3c52171a135df0f82adc8741e.jpg

First one I’ve seen that had run time and you could tell that the pistons were coated.

I’m surprised a Maxxforce piston cracked.

webb06

Reaction score
First one I’ve seen that had run time and you could tell that the pistons were coated.

I’m surprised a Maxxforce piston cracked.

Agreed. First time I’ve seen one cracked.

FourEyed

Reaction score
Yeah that's surprising to see one crack. Any idea what caused it?

I've had good luck with coated pistons in the past. I've ran them in my turbo motor in the mustang and they held up great last time I had it apart.

webb06

Reaction score
Yeah that's surprising to see one crack. Any idea what caused it?

I've had good luck with coated pistons in the past. I've ran them in my turbo motor in the mustang and they held up great last time I had it apart.

Assuming injector. We had them all tested and several didn’t pass.

FourEyed

Reaction score
Got it back together, and in the truck over the weekend.

Holy. Hell... What a pain in the ass to line everything up and get the trans / converter together in the truck. I wish I had a lift for the cab.

49742202958_f9a624db4c_c.jpg
[/url]20200404_112501 by Joe malucci, on Flickr[/IMG]

49742203228_98b243954a_c.jpg
[/url]20200404_112446 by Joe malucci, on Flickr[/IMG]

49742752256_0784c0b7a7_c.jpg
[/url]20200404_130616 by Joe malucci, on Flickr[/IMG]

Partial cab lift / going back down.

49742752146_857f3d19b6_c.jpg
[/url]20200405_131142 by Joe malucci, on Flickr[/IMG]

Most of the hard part is done and back together. Just have some odds and ends to take care of.

49742201993_8d3a6d9f17_c.jpg
[/url]20200405_153637 by Joe malucci, on Flickr[/IMG]

49743073837_f6df25ded6_c.jpg
[/url]20200405_172133 by Joe malucci, on Flickr[/IMG]

Couple more nights after work and I should be pretty close.

Also found this.. Can't believe I missed it when I took it apart, but my hot side tube is pretty much rotted through. That's another 20hp right there! Waiting for my new pipes to come in before I get the rad in.

49742201973_b64c52e2a1_c.jpg
[/url]20200405_154348 by Joe malucci, on Flickr[/IMG]

FourEyed

Reaction score
Well finally got it fired up last weekend. Bled the fuel system and it fired right off.

For the first time doing this I'd say everything went better than expected. I'm no pro mechanic, just not afraid to jump into things. Took my time, torqued everything and it came out great. Took it for a ride yesterday, and all seems well. I hope I never have to do this again...

I did go through the codes on the mini maxx and found a stored old code of P0284 Cyl 8 contribution / balance. I assume this was probably a hanging injector that caused the cracked piston.

What is the general guideline for breaking these in? How many miles of "normal" driving should I do before hooking it to a trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1ZQ53ENn4

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online