205/30 T4 s369 vs s364.5

akcooper9

Reaction score
Ok, I am officially a nutswinger! The 364.5 passed the towing test going away. It gets the load going easier, power is there any time that I need it. And the kicker is, only once in my entire 3 hour trip did my egts even get over 1100* and it was barely over then. It was about a 5% grade about 2 miles long running 75 mph and it hovered right around 1100.
On standard Ga/Alabama interstate hills and flats I could cruise between 75-80mph at 850-900*. Going up hills it would run up close to 1000* every now and then. You couldn’t convince me no way no how this thing would tow so much easier and cooler than what my BASB always did. But I’m a true believer now! What a turbo!!
Keep in mind, this is towing 11k lbs running the GH All Out tune.
My set up is a Forged block, with head studs. FF 180/80’s, adrenaline, strictly diesel RR, stock fuel pump and fuel bowl, Sam Wyse stage 2 transmission, 3.73’s running 20x10’s with 33x12.50’s.

Reminds me of my stock injector truck pushing 35s towing heavy with a 364.5 and 65-80 hp tunes EGTs do not exist. Most won't believe until they see it.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Reminds me of my stock injector truck pushing 35s towing heavy with a 364.5 and 65-80 hp tunes EGTs do not exist. Most won't believe until they see it.

Yeah, I’ve never doubted the 364.5 wasn’t a great turbo. Just given how great my BASB has performed for me, I never thought a similar sized turbo could be this much better, but it is. I love it!

glovemeister

Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s night and day difference because the BASB is an awesome turbo, but the 364.5 is a noticeable difference. If it passes the towing test this week like I think it will, it will be money well spent IMO.

What size exhaust wheel/turbine housing did you get?

cjfarm111

Reaction score
PSD Power007 that’s great news. Glad you finally got a SXE. I played the bell turbo game and cost me money and time but having the SXE now makes you appreciate a proper sized and flowing turbo. I’m running almost the exact setup you are and I might try some gear head tunes again. Last time we talked was having tuning issues with gear head but I have since changed some stuff.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
PSD Power007 that’s great news. Glad you finally got a SXE. I played the bell turbo game and cost me money and time but having the SXE now makes you appreciate a proper sized and flowing turbo. I’m running almost the exact setup you are and I might try some gear head tunes again. Last time we talked was having tuning issues with gear head but I have since changed some stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, the BASB worked wonderfully for me the last 4-5 years. The 364.5 is just better. From my experience, that is saying something.
Gear Head tunes just work in both my 7.3 and 6.0 Excursions.

bigfords

Reaction score
KCTurbos, do you have any feedback from Jbolen on what is a better tow setup with the 238/80s? I'm running a sxe366 right now, but am tempted to try the 364.5
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
KCTurbos, do you have any feedback from Jbolen on what is a better tow setup with the 238/80s? I'm running a sxe366 right now, but am tempted to try the 364.5
Thanks!

That would be interesting info. My 180/80’s have over 260k miles on them and I was considering 238’s but don’t wanna mess up a great towing setup. Figured they could be tuned back some while still being able to make a little more power.

bigfords

Reaction score
I'm being picked for sure, because this setup works really well. But if I can get egts a little cooler, and a little cleaner rear fender I would be happy. Would also be interested in seeing if my oil temperature would go down a little.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I'm being picked for sure, because this setup works really well. But if I can get egts a little cooler, and a little cleaner rear fender I would be happy. Would also be interested in seeing if my oil temperature would go down a little.

I'm probably being to picky as well but with the 366sxe it was smokey
I dropped to a 364.5 with the small exhaust wheel- 68mm I believe and it's not big enough without a gate- back pressure goes wild above 30psi of boost.
So I'm going to get another turbo the 364.5sxe with the 73mm wheel
I also wonder how the 363sxe would do, if I remember right it flows more than a 38r still.

I'm betting I need some tuning refinement too..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bigfords

Reaction score
What injectors are you running? Other than it not working well over 30 psi of boost, how would you compare it to the 366?

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
What injectors are you running? Other than it not working well over 30 psi of boost, how would you compare it to the 366?

238/80s, but tuning is pulled back since I have PMRs
Since this current turbo has the smaller exhaust wheel its probably not the best comparison
But it does light easy.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
My back pressure to boost is still 1:1 at 44psi with the bigger exhaust wheel and the .91 housing.
I had the same results with the 366 and 74 exhaust wheel
I wanted better spool up but which I got but I guess it's not enough volume with the 68mm wheel

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I ran the 366 and the 364. The 364/366 with the same turbine spool up very similar to each other with a slight advantage tot he 364 but we're talking very close.

After spooling up, the 364 is much more responsive to the throttle but lacks the mid range and top end of the 366. In towing, the 366 I found to be very good with this advantage as you're pretty much always spooled while towing. I changed to the 364 after moving to high elevation and the crummy PIS nozzles that are smokey and trying to get some DD improvement.

Back woods

Reaction score
Switched to an 11+0 compressor wheel in my S366. To me it feels like it spools at a lower RPM over the 6+6 I was running. Cheaper than a new turbo.

Latest posts

Members online