rocker replacement

TjMiller

Reaction score
I know there are a ton of threads on this but I am trying to get the most updated info without any confusion. I have seen info from years ago about the wear and replacement which was really straight forward. More recently I remember seeing someone have an issue with fitment of the replacement assemblies and valves hitting pistons then some grinding and shimming - all seemed bad.
What is the latest "Ford update" for replacing the rocker assemblies with out any drama? Any sponsors on the site to recommend with good pricing on oem stuff?

sootie

Reaction score
The issue is that sometime in the last couple years, ford changed the height of the rocker arm pedestals and did not update/change the part number. They also superceded the six four pushrod part number to the six liter pushrod part number which are shorter.

Moral of the story is: A-if you are replacing one or all of the pedestals, ensure the new ones are the same height as the ones you took off. B-ensure all the pedestals on the engine are the same height and if they are the shorter ones, get the shorter pushrods to match.

It is thousandths of an inch different so you will need an accurate measuring tool.

Maybe you can buy the rocker arms separate and avoid the issue but we always found it cheaper to buy the rocker arm assemblies which came with everything including pedestals.

TjMiller

Reaction score
The issue is that sometime in the last couple years, ford changed the height of the rocker arm pedestals and did not update/change the part number.

Well that is pretty effed up

Sounds like I need to get the new rocker set in my hands before I go buying pushrods. There is no way to know which set I am ordering, I could in truth get sent 1 of each, the new style and old.

There was also talk about replacing with 6.0 rocker assemblies which had a oiling hole on the rocker. Is anyone still doing that?

Lipka101

Reaction score
The pushrods are the other way. The 6.0 pushrods were longer. Now they are the shorter ones and both 6.4 and 6.0 are the same part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sootie

Reaction score
The pushrods are the other way. The 6.0 pushrods were longer. Now they are the shorter ones and both 6.4 and 6.0 are the same part number.

Thank you for clarifying

TjMiller

Reaction score

Were the pedestals different on early 6.4 trucks and using the longer 6.0 pushrods? I am not sure i understand, if there is only one pushrod length now (which would be the ones in my motor from factory) what gets changed if the new pedestal height is different?

Lipka101

Reaction score
I know nothing of pedestal height besides the thread that you mentioned above. I haven’t had to replace rockers yet and Kleake is the only one I have read about having issues with the new rockers.

Buy your new rocker assemblies, measure everything before installing them and if they work it’s all good. If they don’t fit, keep your old pedastal and just swap the rocker arms.

TjMiller

Reaction score
I re-read the thread where he had the mix up and it does look like some/all the 2008 trucks had the longer pushrods like the 6.0 . The shorter p-rods were the solution to his issue even though he eventually cracked a piston which had a valve imprint on it so who knows what else was going on there.

I checked my rockers they looked good not replacing at this time.

Latest posts

Members online