Fresh build dies after warm up

Rodslinger

Reaction score
2000 7.3 excursion
Just got done doing a full rebuild and I seem to have an Hpo problem. Hard start but being fresh I don’t know if that’s related. Perfect idle on first start up. Responsive and seems perfect till the oil temp reaches 140. After that, it will romp and die almost like a CPS issue . Will start back up but will only run for a few moments then dies. All the basics are new. Adrenaline hpop, factory cps, ipr and icp sender. New injectors ( rosewoods 238/100) I can watch the ipr % climb to 60 and the the oil psi falls. Hpop tank is still full and low oil stays steady around 60.
Any ideas? Kinda at a loss on what to throw at this thing.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
List of codes that it pulls.

I know a few are due to unplugging the icp and ipr to see if it would change. Big no. Still dies with icp unplugged

fastersteve

Reaction score
Every time I've seen a laundry list of codes like that, It's been a voltage problem.
Batteries good? Alternator charging? The PCM needs a steady 14V to be happy.

miamipowerdiesel

Reaction score
check the alternator charging volts if it good id check the ipr ..... which ipr did u buy ? oem or aftermarket?

superpsd

Reaction score
Along with using a meter to verify voltage also look at the PID to see what the PCM voltage is seeing. Do you still have yout old IPR or another IPR to swap in? Even a ford/motorcraft part could be defective out of the box.

Last edited:

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Along with using a meter to verify voltage also look at the PID to see what the PCM voltage is seeing. Do you still have yout old IPR or another IPR to swap in? Even a ford/motorcraft part could be defective out of the box.

I have 2 ipr that are new. Have swapped back and same issue.

What is the “PID”? What would be in range for voltage?

Batteries and alternator and good. 12.8 while glow plugs are going then up to 13.8-14.1 after they kick.

Also pulled the covers and fired it off. No visual leaks from the injectors. All seems happy till it gets about 130/140 then it shuts down.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
IMG_8400.jpg

boggerr

Reaction score
If you have a spare CPS around try throwing it in. Also check the CPS that you pull out, make sure it’s not hitting the cam gear

superpsd

Reaction score
Tempature related seems like oil is bleeding off but it could be another issue. I would unplug an injector at a time and see if anything changes.

boggerr

Reaction score
Crap! Saw one truck like that, everything pointed to oil problems and turned out to be a bad CPS

Double check your IPR plug, make sure the EBPV plug isn’t in the IPR. Have seen that also and it does exactly what yours is doing

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Crap! Saw one truck like that, everything pointed to oil problems and turned out to be a bad CPS

Double check your IPR plug, make sure the EBPV plug isn’t in the IPR. Have seen that also and it does exactly what yours is doing

The cps is new oe ford and I have swapped it with a known good one.
Now the ipr plug..... I’ll have to check that if the new o rings don’t pan out.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
After swapping new o rings on the injectors, it still has the same issue. Runs great till the oil temp gets up to about 130-140. Double checked the ipr wires and that is the correct plug that on it. Now the plug has been replaced. Is the wiring on the plug specific? New plug had both leads as white. Is there a proper placement for each?

13fist

Reaction score
I don't think wiring matters on the ipr, being a solenoid.
On the 42 pin connector, One goes to pin 24 -12v power, the other goes to pin 25 which is pcm control switch to ground.... pretty sure about that.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
After ohm’ing out the harness and finding nothing, I went back the the cps and pulled it out. It seem that the cam is making contact with it.
1c234ac8c8a1c985bc226c01ce8b5cf3.jpg

Swapped yet another new one and shimmed it out. It seems to be the issue. No issues or misses as of the first 20min. Now to see why the cam is walking into it and if it the true reason it’s acting up.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
After ohm’ing out the harness and finding nothing, I went back the the cps and pulled it out. It seem that the cam is making contact with it.
1c234ac8c8a1c985bc226c01ce8b5cf3.jpg

Swapped yet another new one and shimmed it out. It seems to be the issue. No issues or misses as of the first 20min. Now to see why the cam is walking into it and if it the true reason it’s acting up.
Wowza. Yeah that is no good. Did you have the cam gear welded? If not. I highly recommend it. I went through that myself. Destroyed a half dozen cam sensors that way..

live life full throttle

fastersteve

Reaction score
So I haven't torn into one of these yet. Isn't there a plate to to keep the cam from walking, and what holds the gear to the cam? Why/how would the gear move on the cam without affecting timing?
I assume there's some thrust from the helical cut gears, but why is this not an issue on stock motors?

Latest posts

Members online