07 expedition gets 4bta'd

ja_cain

Reaction score
Ja Cain, it was machined on a Kearney & trecker mill with a 15" troyke rotary table.
They definitely made some stout machines. Reminds me of some of the old Milwaukee machines. I wish I had something with a larger working envelope like that. Please post up a pic if you have a chance.

Last edited:

gwunter

Reaction score
Alas, I couldn't find and pics of the mill on my phone. It is a tank of a thing!! It is a 2hl vertical model. I really like it. I don't understand why these types of machines aren't more desirable than bridgeports. The heads aren't quite as versatile but its got true power feeds on every axis. Flip a lever and let her eat!! I'll get pic soon.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Alas, I couldn't find and pics of the mill on my phone. It is a tank of a thing!! It is a 2hl vertical model. I really like it. I don't understand why these types of machines aren't more desirable than bridgeports. The heads aren't quite as versatile but its got true power feeds on every axis. Flip a lever and let her eat!! I'll get pic soon.
Yeah, definitely more stout than a bp. I am going to put one of those on my whish list at work. What is the working envelope?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Doh! Just realized that K&T's are Milwaukee's or vice versa.

Last edited:

gwunter

Reaction score
I had some time yesterday to take care of another machining project for the project. I machined a 5.9 harmonic balancer so the 5.4 crank position sensor will take a reading on it in order for the factory tach to work. It turned out very well.

IMG_20141004_145105_637_zpsnanvpkre.jpg

Unfortunately I wont be using the 5.4 power steering pump. Ill be using the cummins style power steering/vacuum pump assembly. This also gets me the opporrunity for hydraboost someday. Still waiting on block. Will be surfacing the head this week and getting valves worked over as well. Below us a couple pics of the mill. In one its surfacing an allis chalmers head.

IMG_20141004_111132_489_zpslhcydfrr.jpg

20140620_194928_zpssvo4p04h.jpg

ja_cain

Reaction score
I had some time yesterday to take care of another machining project for the project. I machined a 5.9 harmonic balancer so the 5.4 crank position sensor will take a reading on it in order for the factory tach to work. It turned out very well.

IMG_20141004_145105_637_zpsnanvpkre.jpg

Unfortunately I wont be using the 5.4 power steering pump. Ill be using the cummins style power steering/vacuum pump assembly. This also gets me the opporrunity for hydraboost someday. Still waiting on block. Will be surfacing the head this week and getting valves worked over as well. Below us a couple pics of the mill. In one its surfacing an allis chalmers head.

IMG_20141004_111132_489_zpslhcydfrr.jpg

20140620_194928_zpssvo4p04h.jpg
That mill is just awesome! Definitely very stout. I would love to have one of those or an old Cincinnati. How much did you pay for yours?

gwunter

Reaction score
Well its been a while since I updated. I got the block back from the machine shop recently. It turned out really well. On a side note, is 125$ for a hot tank wash and then another 45$ for a final rinse kinda steep??!! I got new 40 over pistons already to go in. Now comes the fun of clean clean and clean stuff. Cleaning gets kinda tiring. I'm going to repaint everything in the tan color as that's what the block would have been originally. My oil pan is now fully "modified" as well, I'll post pic of that later. I do need to ask, should I paint the inside of the oil pan?? Or will it be well protected with the oil. I still have a lot of small things to do.

ResizedImage_1413851676988_zpsiddfa81t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ResizedImage_1413851718407_zpsccgfzexm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

anybody have an opinion of these bearing holes lining up the oil delivery holes?? I am a bit concerned with them.

gwunter

Reaction score
Update coming soon!! This project is not dead, just slowed down a bit. With deer season in full swing and the temp getting cold, my garage is not real desirable to be in!! I've been focusing on the rebuild and getting the belt system set up. I'm very satisfied with how its turning out. Also been working on the crank position sensor mount. I'm going to try not using the mechanical fan, but rather incorporating an electric fan into the factory shroud.....looking more factory, not shortly. Also have to shorten/lengthen driveshafts, and make a shaft to mate trans to transfer case.

1uzfeT

Reaction score
Awsome work so far. Don't paint the inside of the oil pan though. the paint will break down, flake off and get stuck in the oil pick up. Also I would be very concerned that the oiling holes don't line up on the main bearings. JMHO

jcarrick

Reaction score
Very nice work! Have you seen CR_Magruder's swap on 4btswaps.com? He's one of my buddies and everything works on his except for the traction control, which is not bad at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk