Carli Suspension Advice

vansnxtweek

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So to make a long story short..I am going to lower my truck down from my 8” Pro Comp to a 2.5” Carli setup.

I have emailed CJC Offroad and I just want to say they have been amazing and I highly recommend them and I’ve also emailed Carli and they have too. I am hoping for some real world opinions from people.

I’ve done a ton of research and have it narrowed down to the backcountry or pin top shock setup. I have never read a negative review of the pin top but what I do read and have been told is that it is more suited for off road than on. Though I’d love to smash speed bumps like they’re non existent, my off road adventures are minimal. Basically i drive on the beach a few times a year. If we had deserts around here it’d sure be different but that’s not the case.

So on road performance is key.

I want to run either 35s or the 315/70r18 Toyo M/T. Does anyone have experience with that size on a 2.5”? I’d also like to do 17s but I’m not comfortable with the chance that the caliper may not clear. Is this a valid concern or are the 17s always good with the calipers?

Being in going from the Pro Comp to the Carli I’ve tried to think of all stock parts I’ll need. Thankfully I have most. I know I need the stock pitman arm, another NEW Ford pitman arm nut (ask me how I know), stock radius arms, and the stock track bar bracket.

I’m sure I have more concerns but I’ll stop there for now.

Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
that tire size will be awesome. 17s will clear the calipers no problem on a 250 anyway. No need for the pintop if you are always on road. I would recommend the backcountry with Carli valves Fox 2.5 resi shocks. Probably the best on road setup i have ever driven, with significant capability off road. If you are buying radius arms anyway, you should consider OUO Adjustable link arms. That will allow you to dial in the caster perfectly.

vansnxtweek

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help Sootie! I assume you’re referring to the 315/70r18 size correct? I sure wish they made that size tire in a 17. I think from what I’m seeing the Backcountry is definitely gonna be the best bet! Now the Backcountry is a 2.0 Fox setup, correct? Just trying to learn and make sure I’m understanding right.

I’ve been eyeballing the radius arms by OUO, PMF, and the Carli ones. I really like the thought of adjustable arms but I’m afraid these alignment donk heads we have around here are gonna be lost if I bring that in. Alignments with a common sense brain, a tale measured and test drives with chalk seems to be a thing of the past. After living with this covered wagon ride out of the western territory in the 1700s Pro Comp lift I love the thought of getting the caster dialed in perfectly along with everything else. I’m really hoping this setup will get me to love driving my truck.

sootie

Reaction score
back country standard shock offering is 2.0 but you can upgrade to the 2.5s.

If you follow the install instructions for the ala's it will get you very close to what you need.

any 35" tire on an 18" rim will ride great. Personally i wouldnt go down to a 17 even though they recommend it. I enjoy some semblance of handling and dont go offroad.

vansnxtweek

Reaction score
back country standard shock offering is 2.0 but you can upgrade to the 2.5s.

If you follow the install instructions for the ala's it will get you very close to what you need.

any 35" tire on an 18" rim will ride great. Personally i wouldnt go down to a 17 even though they recommend it. I enjoy some semblance of handling and dont go offroad.

Now you’re speaking my language haha that’s exactly what I want too. Sounds like 18” it is!

Is there a reason to go OUO over PMF? I tried to look at OUO but I’m having trouble navigating their website. I love how clean the PMFs are and the lower price is nice compared to the Carli arms. I don’t much care for the look of the Carli Arms but I’m sure their functionality is sweet.

I’m gonna do a deeper dig on the OUO arms right now.

sootie

Reaction score
Please dont open up the PMF vs OUO debate lol. Go with what you like better. I have run both and dont have anything negative to say about PMF but if i bought again, i would go OUO.

vansnxtweek

Reaction score
Hahahah yes you are wise in that statement! Don’t want this thread to turn into that, I’ve read a lot of that in my research.

I feel the backspacing recommendation is quite conservative on what’s recommended. Would a -12mm offset (4.5” backspacing I THINK) clear alright with that 36-13? This is purely a guess obviously and trust me I hate seeing these wheel fitment questions but I have to ask. I’m stuck on deciding between 0 offset and slightly negative.

RyanD

Reaction score
I'll toss in my thoughts here - I run a backcountry kit (minus the Deaver leafs) on my 250 on factory 20s with 295/65/20 - I opted for the 2.0 Fox resis and I love it. Drives like a dream on the highway, and I can bomb ranch roads like a Target parking lot. Whatever shock choice you do make, go with the Carli valving to match the springs. It makes a world of difference.

You're also right, CJC was the most helpful company over the internet I have ever worked with.

Seanw

Reaction score
I have the pintop 4.5 with 17s, works fine.

Mine clears 37" tires with room to spare, 35s should be no problem with the 2.5.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 Carli with fox shocks. I run 37/12.50 on stock platinum wheels. Go with the most expensive shocks your budget allows. I want huge shocks, my carli fox shocks are fine, but I want to float like an old Cadillac

Latest posts

Members online