Water/meth tank idea

chromehound

Reaction score
I'm planning to delete my front fuel tank down the road and thought about having someone make me an aluminum tank in say a 8-10gal size with an attached pump that fit in the front tank location with a filler neck that ran to the front fuel door and maybe had some kind of sending unit for a gauge in the cab.

So here's my questions:
1. anybody ever done this?
2. if so does anybody make a kit to fit where/how I want?
3. what would you use to keep people from putting fuel in that tank (I'm thinking locking cap)
4. any issues I'm overlooking

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
-I did it once on a an IDI
-I custom fabbed the whole thing
-paint the cap blue and put something in the filler neck so you can't fit a fuel pump in it
-depends on how complicated you want to make it

chromehound

Reaction score
I plan to make it a pretty simple setup with maybe 2 noozles after I put the IC in. For my sending unit I'm thinking like a motorcycle/atv or small car hooked to an aftermarket gauge. Nozzles and pump from Coolingmist most likely. Everything hooked up to EGT for on/off when the system is powered up.

What did you use to make all your stuff (aluminum, steel, etc)?

GM Duraturd

Reaction score
Not a bad idea... To keep people from putting diesel in it, dont let anyone else drive it ha. Thats a pretty solid idea to keep it out of sight and not obvious (hidden mods are always cool, regardless of what you do with the truck. Why not run the factory fuel tank with a sump for the water/meth setup?

chromehound

Reaction score
I thought about running it but I don't want any built up crud getting into the pump and the 19 gallons seemed a bit excessive. I was also concerned with residue from diesel being an issue. If anything I might try to make the custom tank able to use the factory style sending unit. It's an idea though but for the cost of a new front tank I'm hoping to have the custom one done cheaper.

Right now nobody drives it but me but that's more of a brake issue than anything, once that is cleared up my folks/future gf would be able to drive it.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Everything hooked up to EGT for on/off when the system is powered up.

Better to set it up for boost on/off. If you ever happen to lug it down low, be prepared to have the engine shut off. This could be because the water put the fire out completely, or because it hydro locked.
You can make EGTs go up without increasing boost (lug it), but you can't increase boost (at a given engine RPM) without increasing EGTs.

chromehound

Reaction score
Ok, still in the learning curve on this. Probably a good idea since I intend to tow alot in the CO frontrange area.

GM Duraturd

Reaction score
^^^ its not that difficult to clean out fuel tanks. Also I would run a sump, and you could only put a few gallons in and be fine, or fill it all the way up and not worry about it for a long time.

chromehound

Reaction score
Using the front tank would probably save me a bunch of headache. All I'd really have to do is clean/seal the tank, hook up the aftermarket gauge, hook up the pump and stuff and sump it. Do you all really think sumping it would be better than just using the traditonal hookup running to the pump or is it something to do with feeding the pump?

Glad this is all a "down the road" mod. LOL