'11-14' Retro Fit or Upgrade?

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Hi all. Searched some retro fits and upgrades from the past here but it's been kinda quite so thought to bring it up and see if any ones done anything lately that they're satisfied with. Not looking for a drag racer just want to replace/upgrade my '12 (I think I'm on borrowed time with it 212k lol) with something that's reliable. I have an old S****** file. If this is not a 'chatty' topic anymore, just pm me, thanks.

erbear28

Reaction score
Hi all. Searched some retro fits and upgrades from the past here but it's been kinda quite so thought to bring it up and see if any ones done anything lately that they're satisfied with. Not looking for a drag racer just want to replace/upgrade my '12 (I think I'm on borrowed time with it 212k lol) with something that's reliable. I have an old S****** file. If this is not a 'chatty' topic anymore, just pm me, thanks.

Stock 15+ turbo would be your best bet if you plan on leaving the hpfp alone

farm boy

Reaction score
Last edited:

Wicked

Reaction score
BD just released a new drop in Turbo. It has larger wheels on it but unsure the blade count on the turbine. Might be a good option.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
So I can share info with others.

What is used for the tuning files?? Are they straight OEM files tweaked to use on 11-14 trucks?? Are they "custom" tweaked PCM/TCM files short of being full ****** files???

I tend to suggest to 11-14 people to go with the 2015+ hardware upgrade but rarely hear about that it takes on the tuning side.

joebuck

Reaction score

What is used for the tuning files?? Are they straight OEM files tweaked to use on 11-14 trucks?? Are they "custom" tweaked PCM/TCM files short of being full ****** files???

I tend to suggest to 11-14 people to go with the 2015+ hardware upgrade but rarely hear about that it takes on the tuning side.

Yes with Tyrant tuning which is who I run they fuel a little heavier down low to get the larger 15+ turbo to light off quicker. It’s not Smokey unless you flat foot it it’s just the way fueling works to keep it less “laggy” from what I understand.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Stock 15+ turbo would be your best bet if you plan on leaving the hpfp alone

Was wondering if I need to upgrade the HPFP? Your suggesting it's not needed? Probably a good idea to do. I think that's been upgraded too on the 2015's? Or maybe aftermarket HPFP puts out more fuel? Maybe someone can clarify that for me.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
I've been happy with my stock 17' turbo and HPFP upgrade. Although now I think I would have tried the new cheetah turbo that's out there just for the hell of it.
http://nolimitfabrication.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=138_74&product_id=674

Truck pulls awesome though and has plenty of power for a work truck.
Drags a 20 bale hay van like it was made for it.
So farmboy you have a '17 turbo on your '13, if i read that correctly. Swap went ok? And what brand of HPFP did you install? I looked at that No Limit turbo. Looks pretty good too mind you it's pushin up to 45psi. Might have to worry about that on a stock set up?

erbear28

Reaction score
Was wondering if I need to upgrade the HPFP? Your suggesting it's not needed? Probably a good idea to do. I think that's been upgraded too on the 2015's? Or maybe aftermarket HPFP puts out more fuel? Maybe someone can clarify that for me.

2015+ hpfp flows more than the 11-14. The 15 turbo by itself on a 11-14 is fine but if your truck has some miles on it it wouldn’t be a bad idea to upgrade to the 15+ pump.

jimmystoys

Reaction score

So in my situation I'm running the old S****** tuner with full d*****. Just what we did back then. I am happy with it. It's been good to me. But I think it could be complicated should I need to tweek 'it'.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
2015+ hpfp flows more than the 11-14. The 15 turbo by itself on a 11-14 is fine but if your truck has some miles on it it wouldn’t be a bad idea to upgrade to the 15+ pump.
Ya probably upgrading would be a good idea once I've committed myself. So should a 2015 and up stock hpfp be used or after market? Can I benefit from more fuel from aftermarket pump?

erbear28

Reaction score
Ya probably upgrading would be a good idea once I've committed myself. So should a 2015 and up stock hpfp be used or after market? Can I benefit from more fuel from aftermarket pump?

Basically your only aftermarket option is a stroker pump but iirc they don’t last as long as a stock 15+ pump but you wouldn’t benefit from a stroker pump on a stock 15+ turbo

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
You may not NEED a revision, but you may benefit from it. I had Patriot OST on my 14 and LOVED it, allowed for the tweaking I needed, in your situation without OST you'll need to get a new device.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
That would suck if I needed a new device. Quite happy with what I have now. I would hate to do a complete turbo upgrade and struggle with figuring out what or who's tuner to go with. Don't like unprepared changes. Trying to get all my ducks in a row...

farm boy

Reaction score
So farmboy you have a '17 turbo on your '13, if i read that correctly. Swap went ok? And what brand of HPFP did you install? I looked at that No Limit turbo. Looks pretty good too mind you it's pushin up to 45psi. Might have to worry about that on a stock set up?

Yes 17' turbo on the 13'. Swap was done by Powerstroke Enginuities in Houston.

I went with a Factory 2015+ HPFP since I'm not running bigger injectors.

Latest posts

Members online