Texas inspection

Charles

Reaction score
Some 99 trucks came with the cat, some without. My early 99 had one.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Around the DFW area I have personally experienced being turned away at inspection station for no muffler on my 2000. Same thing happened to a friend of mine in his 04 Dodge. I guess they are not letting the turbo pass as a muffler anyore.

However, when I was turned away in Alvarado I drove to a near by town and was passed no issues.

Odd. I'm in Keller and get passed with straight exhaust on my 08.

Gearhead

Reaction score
A muffler is required in texas.... the turbo doesn't count unless it has "muffling device" cast in the turbine housing.

Dslfumes

Reaction score
Where I go as long as 4 tires hold air, the brakes are somewhat operational, all lights work and the vehicle can move under it's own power you just pay your $14.50 and they'll slap a new sticker on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Arisley

Reaction score
Where I go as long as 4 tires hold air, the brakes are somewhat operational, all lights work and the vehicle can move under it's own power you just pay your $14.50 and they'll slap a new sticker on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Same where I go, along with proof of insurance.

JMart

Reaction score
Around the DFW area I have personally experienced being turned away at inspection station for no muffler on my 2000. Same thing happened to a friend of mine in his 04 Dodge. I guess they are not letting the turbo pass as a muffler anyore.

However, when I was turned away in Alvarado I drove to a near by town and was passed no issues.

Straight piped with stacks on an 01 last two years and straight piped 08 1 year before that.

I think it is just depends on the shop. If one won't pass go down the street until you find one that will.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Actually there is nothing in the test about the windshield, your windshield can be gone, gotta have working windshield wipers though.

Although if the windsheild was gone, where would they put the sticker.

And actually, part of the safety inspection is a visual inspection of the exhaust system, it is supposed to have all of the same components that it came from the factory with.

Not around here, they consider it a obstruction of your field of view. Fe crack or chip isn't a problem unless its right in front of the drivers face.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
well just noticed today that my inspection went out last month guess i need to go get that taken care of

maybe next week i got farming to do this weekend lol

TripleE44

Reaction score
well just noticed today that my inspection went out last month guess i need to go get that taken care of

maybe next week i got farming to do this weekend lol

Just witnessed someone get declined for straight pipe on an 06 dodge. At the same kwik kar that passed me about 4 weeks ago. Said he needed a muffler.

JMart

Reaction score
Just witnessed someone get declined for straight pipe on an 06 dodge. At the same kwik kar that passed me about 4 weeks ago. Said he needed a muffler.

Dodges need two mufflers to combat that awful sound they make.

straggleweed

Reaction score
I got turned down the other day at one shop for no muffler and then went down the road to the next shop and got a sticker.

The guy at the second shop showed me the paper that said a turbine is considered a muffling device. It didn't say anything about having to have something cast into it for muffling.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I got turned down the other day at one shop for no muffler and then went down the road to the next shop and got a sticker.

The guy at the second shop showed me the paper that said a turbine is considered a muffling device. It didn't say anything about having to have something cast into it for muffling.

Yeah TSD had issues with that and the court said specifically otherwise. I guess it depends on the judge on the day your case comes up. Just put a straight through muffler on it even if it is only 3 inches long and they can't touch you.

Sprman

Reaction score
It just has to be dumped behind the passenger compartment. Plenty of box trucks I have seen have it dumped behind the muffler which is just under the front of the box.

Correct

Actually there is nothing in the test about the windshield, your windshield can be gone, gotta have working windshield wipers though.

Although if the windsheild was gone, where would they put the sticker.

And actually, part of the safety inspection is a visual inspection of the exhaust system, it is supposed to have all of the same components that it came from the factory with.

Windshield just need to not have any cracks or "obstruction" in the sight view of the driver. Ie, cracks and such.

A muffler is required in texas.... the turbo doesn't count unless it has "muffling device" cast in the turbine housing.

False, When i took my inspectors test, i asked that specific question and the instructor stated that a diesel do not have to have a muffler, cat or anything like that. The new ones with the all the crap they have, i'm not sure cause i don't do it anymore.

Yeah TSD had issues with that and the court said specifically otherwise. I guess it depends on the judge on the day your case comes up. Just put a straight through muffler on it even if it is only 3 inches long and they can't touch you.

Plus it sounds better in my opinion. :naughty:

Latest posts

Members online