Texas inspection

andrewv_24

Reaction score
Don't know if many have had this problem or not, tried gettin my 99 f250 inspected today but wouldn't pass cuz it didn't have a catalytic converter. The guy I bought it from was the original owner and says it wasn't made with one. Got turned away by one inspection place, tried gettin answers at the ford house but was no good. Finally found a place to inspect recommended by a muffler shop owner. Talk about a pain in the a$$. Any other texas stroke owners run into this issue?

JMart

Reaction score
No problems here ever. Even had a deleted 08 pass with no problems.

andrewv_24

Reaction score
Happened here in san Angelo. I even asked the guys doing inspections at the ford house here and they said it wouldn't pass without the cat. I eventually found a shop that would pass it all they checked for was if it had a muffler still.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I can't say I've ever had a problem with anything other than dark tint. I've even been inspected at a ford dealership with a straight pipe and they passed me. It all just depends on where you go

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Look on the engine, if it has to have a cat there will be a catalyst sticker if not it'll pass without it. Talk to the manager, i have my texas inspectors license and that is by the book what you have to go by.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I think you got a random over cautious person. I've been to 3 different places to get my deleted 08 inspected and no one ever says anything. I've asked them about it and its "safety inspection" only. They told me no emissions inspection/testing, or it'd be the $37 or whatever instead of $15.

andrewv_24

Reaction score
Yeah it had me runnin kinda hot, glad I got it taken care of. The guy I bought it from lives in stephenville and never had a problem with it there. Just some bad luck out here

Sprman

Reaction score
Texas Diesel is a Visual Safety Inspection. Lights, blinkers, tires, etc.etc Nothing to do with the exhaust except that it had to exit the side or rear of the vehicle (ie not under it). At least that was the way it was when I had my inspectors license. Has nothing to do with a sticker under the hood or if it came from the factory. That is only for gas engines.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
That guy is an idiot, your truck most likely didnt even come with one from the factory. In TX is just a safety inspection anyway, lights, horn, blinker and no busted up windshields. No emissions checks on diesels here.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Texas Diesel is a Visual Safety Inspection. Lights, blinkers, tires, etc.etc Nothing to do with the exhaust except that it had to exit the side or rear of the vehicle (ie not under it). At least that was the way it was when I had my inspectors license. Has nothing to do with a sticker under the hood or if it came from the factory. That is only for gas engines.

You can't have a dumped exhaust on diesels!?

JMart

Reaction score
It just has to be dumped behind the passenger compartment. Plenty of box trucks I have seen have it dumped behind the muffler which is just under the front of the box.

Arisley

Reaction score
That guy is an idiot, your truck most likely didnt even come with one from the factory. In TX is just a safety inspection anyway, lights, horn, blinker and no busted up windshields. No emissions checks on diesels here.

Actually there is nothing in the test about the windshield, your windshield can be gone, gotta have working windshield wipers though.

Although if the windsheild was gone, where would they put the sticker.

And actually, part of the safety inspection is a visual inspection of the exhaust system, it is supposed to have all of the same components that it came from the factory with.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Actually there is nothing in the test about the windshield, your windshield can be gone, gotta have working windshield wipers though.

Although if the windsheild was gone, where would they put the sticker.

And actually, part of the safety inspection is a visual inspection of the exhaust system, it is supposed to have all of the same components that it came from the factory with.

Lol well no one ever said anything about missing Cat and muffler!

rascal

Reaction score
Around the DFW area I have personally experienced being turned away at inspection station for no muffler on my 2000. Same thing happened to a friend of mine in his 04 Dodge. I guess they are not letting the turbo pass as a muffler anyore.

However, when I was turned away in Alvarado I drove to a near by town and was passed no issues.

Latest posts

Members online