Coolant loss after radiator swap

superduty4x4

Reaction score
History - shortly after buying my truck back in February I pulled it apart to replace the oil cooler, install studs and a few other little things. I followed the Dieseltech Ron flush method, pulling both block plugs and backflushing through the heater core hose. At that time the degas bottle and the hose that runs from the degas bottle to the water pump were also replaced. While doing the studs I had the motor jacked up on one side, when I crawled up onto the front of the truck to pull the head bolt out and replace it with the stud the motor slipped and the head bolt smacked into the heater core. There were some bent fins but nothing that looked like a hole at the time. Coolant was filled to the "MIN" line when cold. Also installed a Mishimoto coolant filter.
A few weeks back I accidentally poked a hole in my radiator while performing some other maintenance work, so I drained the radiator and swapped it out with a new aftermarket radiator from Napa. Since that time I've put a few short trips to town on it, and one 100 mile round trip pulling my travel trailer. When I got home I noticed the coolant was just barely visible in the bottom of the degas bottle, so I filled it back up to the MIN line. Short trip to town and back (15 miles or so), and when I checked the coolant the next day it was about 1" low again.
I have NOT run the heater since replacing the radiator, so I probably need to do that. No signs of external leaking anywhere that I've found so far. Could it just be air working its way out of the system or could there be a problem somewhere? No white smoke or steam on cold starts, no signs of oil or fuel contamination in the coolant. EGR has been welded shut on both ends, the blue hose on the EGR cooler was replaced when the oil cooler was. 05 Lariat, 109,500 on the clock.

Strokersace

Reaction score
If no leaks or combustion issues, my guess it’s just air pockets finally making their way to the top. I’ve seen coolant levels do that on several vehicles I’ve replaced radiators in, not just diesels.

No if it continues to happen trip after trip and quite a bit of mileage, I’d have concerns.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I always drive till it gets up to temp, run the heater some, then crack the degas cap open and let it burp before I shut the truck down. Usually do that the first few times I drive it and the coolant will level itself out once all the air is gone.