Bosch 044 info

GreenF350

Reaction score
Just finished installing a Bosch “044” fuel pump and thought I would share the information I had learned in the process as there wasn’t much I could find searching all over the internet before I did it and would have appreciated a write up or two with some better information. I have no idea just how big of injectors you could run with it, but I can say with certainty, that it runs 238/80’s great. I have had these injectors for over 40k miles and have never been able to run my highest tune from one tuner or even the top two from another. I had been wanting to upgrade for quite awhile, but with a short bed, super cab the dual setups available wouldn’t fit inside the frame rail and I am leery of the aeromotive and fuelab pumps in regards to longevity. I was considering fabricating my own setup, but really didn’t want to deal with it since my work space is very limited right now. That pretty much meant the Bosch or Walbro was my only option and since my stock pump is still kicking at 320k+ mi I decided I trusted the Bosch the most. Also worth noting for anyone just starting a search and seeing this that the Bosch and Walbro are not rated for diesel fuel. I didn’t add the cost up exactly, but I think it was right around $400 for everything.

In starting the search, first thing I found was that the part number had changed since years ago when I was researching this topic. The “044” pump now has the part number 61944. The second thing worth noting is apparently the fuel pump market is full of counterfeiters selling Chinese (or other) knockoffs. It got bad enough that they now put a holographic sticker to seal the box with a number that you can go put in on Bosch’s website to verify it is a real Bosch pump. It seemed the same thing is happening to Walbro, but that didn’t concern me right now. Also, the price on them has come down quite a bit as I have been able to find it from reputable sellers for well under the $200 mark.

I was already running a pre-pump filter/kit and post pump with fuel bowl ******. I ordered the pump, the fittings for both ends of the pump (Outlet was 12mm x 1.5 to -6 AN, Inlet was 18mm x 1.5 to -10 AN), the filter housing (2ea #10 ORB to -10 AN), and the required -10 AN pushlock fittings/fuel line. (In my case I should have got one 45* fitting for the inlet to my pre pump filter, but the straight one did work, just have to watch my line where it rubs on the edge of the fuel tank). I also ordered the 5/8” pickup tube and universal relay harness to run the pump.

I followed the directions for the pickup. It went pretty well, although drilling the hole for it was harder than I expected and definitely needs a good drill bit. I also found that my check valve and plastic pickup piece had disintegrated and was laying in pieces in the bottom of the tank. Good thing I don’t run it right down to empty. I used the old fuel line to cut the right lengths and then installed the pushlock connectors. What a PITA...I ended up using a heat gun to get the fuel line toasty (sun isn’t putting out much heat in February) and a bit of oil and still had to fight to get it all the way on. The “044” pump fits in the factory bracket, but I had to remove the foam surrounding the factory one, I used some thin plastic I had laying around to wrap the new one and install it in the bracket. Seemed to work well. To use the fittings I did, you have to removed the check valve on the pump outlet that comes with the pump and then install the AN fitting. I don’t think you need it and don’t notice any issues, but if you are concerned, they do make high flow inline valves that you could get. Then I installed the wiring.

I tried to prime the pump as best as I could by pouring fuel in the line from the filter to the pump, but don’t know if it helped or not. Then turned on the key. This fuel pump is definitely a bit louder since I couldn’t ever hear it in the cab with the OEM pump. This one has a slight whine/whir, but I can’t hear it at all with the truck running. I cycled the key a handful of time until I didn’t hear any air being cycled through the system and fired it up. Ran like before and had solid fuel pressure. Took it for a drive to warm it up and put it in all three tunes that wouldn’t hold pressure before and hammered on it a few times and the fuel pressure needle doesn’t budge. So far, I couldn’t be happier with the choice despite it not looking like a very popular option these days or maybe ever based on my research. I’ll report back in this thread if/when the pump dies just to close the loop since I found a few people using them for diesel and having them die, but most of those posts referenced a cheap eBay purchase so I’m hoping they were fakes.

Sorry it was so long, but I use the forums for tons of research and ideas and rarely have something like this I feel might be useful and figured I’d give back a bit. I can’t tell you how many times a thread will have everything I need to know except one or two things I need to know or dead ends without a conclusion. I know a lot of you are well beyond this, but hopefully someone can make use of it.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Post up some pictures, I run one as well. Bought a kit from Marty's Diesel
I made the regulator bracket
a7b5b650bee405df0f2fe90409c2f997.jpg
3b7a74bf3b0de5c23bf556c15fb9f0e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GreenF350

Reaction score
I’ll see what I can do for pictures. The write up was an afterthought while I was thinking about how well it worked and why there was minimal info on it.

Reaction score
Nice write up. What’s the 044 rating vs factory?

Curious why you chose it over dual factory pumps.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score

I dont know the specs of either off hand.
I did this for simplicity, keeps up with 238/80s.

I did just have to make another harness, the one they sent me was corroded half way down the wire and burned up the relay- almost causing a fire
I went away from a chassis ground and grounded at the battery now. All 10awg wire.
The wiring they sent originally was audio amp power cable. I'm not sure it's a problem but it did corrode on me.

GreenF350

Reaction score

The “044” is supposed to be 300LPH free flow and 200LPH at 72.5 psi or at least that’s what I keep seeing advertised. I’m not sure what the factory pump specs are. I was fully planning to go with the two parallel factory pumps, but I have a short wheelbase truck and didn’t really have room to mount it on the inside of the frame rail and the fittings and such were starting to get expensive and seemed like more trouble than it was worth. The fuelab and other race pumps seem to have mixed reviews in this application, but are $400ish. The “044” is only $136 (best I could find from a reliable source) and I knew it would supply what I needed and am expecting Bosch reliability and it mounts in the factory location with minimal plumbing changes. That said, it’s not rated for diesel so....who knows if it will last? I carry a spare and I won’t fault it if it doesn’t since it isn’t made for diesel, although externally it looks just like a bigger version of the stocker.

-Aaron

Guess I better get off my rear and get those pictures too!

78-79fordman

Reaction score
Twin Bosch from 444fab is what I like . If the primary fails backup is right there .

Attachments

• 20190627_235746.jpg
    20190627_235746.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 95

78-79fordman

Reaction score
That's a clean setup

Yap there worth the money. I have two of them one on each obs . Saving for one to go on my superduty. I am a probley a little over complicated on my wiring for them as I have the secondary pump wired to activate by a boost gauge which can turn it on and off . Or I can on manually with a switch or off .

Last edited:

78-79fordman

Reaction score
I will use the same gauge and switch setup in my superduty with the gauge and switch mounted on a column pod mount.

Attachments

• 20190724_193830.jpg
    20190724_193830.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190729_133745.jpg
    20190729_133745.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 20190729_133715.jpg
    20190729_133715.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 75

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Yap there worth the money. I have two of them one on each obs . Saving for one to go on my superduty. I am a probley a little over complicated on my wiring for them as I have the secondary pump wired to activate by a boost gauge which can turn it on and off . Or I can on manually with a switch or off .
That's pretty slick, I just want it to work lol
I do like having the redundancy of two pumps

GreenF350

Reaction score
Not sure why it took me so long to get them, but here are the pictures of my setup. Nothing special really. My post pump filter isn’t shown, but is right behind the oil filter on the bellhousing. Also can’t see the 5/8 pickup I put in either. So far so good, runs a rock steady 65psi on my 238/80’s and is a bit louder than the stock pump, but still unable to be heard once it’s started. If it lasts, it’s a win.

-Aaron

Edit: I did add a relay harness too, but didn’t figure that was picture worthy.

Attachments

• D17EEA2A-DD7D-4898-9D9A-9EAA3D546D59.jpg
    D17EEA2A-DD7D-4898-9D9A-9EAA3D546D59.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 17E9FC95-3A1B-4262-8FAC-899ABFC4F16C.jpg
    17E9FC95-3A1B-4262-8FAC-899ABFC4F16C.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 104
  • A1369BB7-DC4B-4631-A9BE-65CBA78F3DAD.jpg
    A1369BB7-DC4B-4631-A9BE-65CBA78F3DAD.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 93

4duggan

Reaction score
image0.jpg
Going up to Martys later this month to do dual stock pumps in prep for injector upgrade.
I’ll ask him for some pics and dems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online