(Insert cleaver build thread name here) Build Thread

Stroked777

Reaction score
How hard is it to port and polish these cylinder heads on your own, In your garage, with die grinders and what not? And would it be worth it

Stroked777

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of going a different direction with my build. I'm thinking of keeping the compounds, I actually got my hands on a internally waste gated turbo off a Cummins QSX15. Measurements are 84mm compressor with a .69 AR and the exhaust is a 107mm with a 1.19 AR. My question is will this turbo be a good turbo to run for a low pressure charger? And if so what would be a good pairing for a high pressure turbo

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of going a different direction with my build. I'm thinking of keeping the compounds, I actually got my hands on a internally waste gated turbo off a Cummins QSX15. Measurements are 84mm compressor with a .69 AR and the exhaust is a 107mm with a 1.19 AR. My question is will this turbo be a good turbo to run for a low pressure charger? And if so what would be a good pairing for a high pressure turbo

yeah it could be decent at best , but it certainly would not be optimum. it will most likely be a cast wheel, slow spooling , journal bearing charger with a massive turbine wheel. if used with a vgt high pressure it could be okay at best. cummins designed turbo's use WAY bigger turbine sizes than any V8 common rail diesel in a light duty pickup. there's a reason most big twin kits stick to much smaller turbine wheels , and the crap head flow of a 6.4 only expose those issues more. i , personally , even not knowing the EXACT basics of that turbo , i wouldn't ever put it on a 6.4 , or even a 6.7 with much better headflow.

Stroked777

Reaction score
yeah it could be decent at best , but it certainly would not be optimum. it will most likely be a cast wheel, slow spooling , journal bearing charger with a massive turbine wheel. if used with a vgt high pressure it could be okay at best. cummins designed turbo's use WAY bigger turbine sizes than any V8 common rail diesel in a light duty pickup. there's a reason most big twin kits stick to much smaller turbine wheels , and the crap head flow of a 6.4 only expose those issues more. i , personally , even not knowing the EXACT basics of that turbo , i wouldn't ever put it on a 6.4 , or even a 6.7 with much better headflow.

Alrighty thanks for the insight. What about for a third turbo?

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well I’m still alive. Hopefully starting the build in April this year. I took a different position at work as a truck driver/rigger/crane operator in training, so I’ll be working on it as much as possible as I work mostly on the road.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well I got a bunch of parts and went a different direction from when I first started this idea. Got everything from Kill Devil Diesel and went with Wagler rods, KDD .020 coated pistons, new KDD heads and just going to keep stock power level for now that I have a baby on the way!

Attachments

• 8B203F99-F543-4633-B6E9-AC1E238859DB.jpg
    8B203F99-F543-4633-B6E9-AC1E238859DB.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 73678728-987B-4521-BC3A-B51FEE2F2972.jpg
    73678728-987B-4521-BC3A-B51FEE2F2972.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 83

Latest posts

Members online