Build / Reliablity Question

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Alright guys, it's been a while since I've been in a 6.4 but I'm very aware of their issues. My question is probably a loaded one, but interested to hear what people have to say since I'm a bit disappointed in the 6.0 and may be looking to go to a 6.4 dually.

So... What does it really take to make the 6.4 reliable? Is delipped pistons the big one? If you were looking to buy a 6.4 as a reliable tow pig what would you look for? Screw it and move on to a 6.7? Just interested in what everyone thinks here.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
If you're into living dangerously and being super cool buy a truck with a 6.4 LOL. If you want to play it safe buy a truck with a 6.7.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Y’all are killing me... add the 6.0s to the mix and it’s no wonder the 6.7 used market is so crazy expensive. I danced with the devil and had 3 so far and loved my 6.4s but never had disasters outside of a tranny.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I would consider a 6.4 if you find one that has proof of the work and the shop name that did it.

Or find one that needs work and have it done right from there.

BUT if not 1 of those 2 scenarios, go 6.7.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
What are you looking for and what's your budget

My pops has a real low mileage 08 Dually KR (43k). He's considering getting into a 17'/18' 6.7 as his last truck he'll ever need. He'd make me a pretty deal on it I'm sure, and I'd like to go bigger just to feel better pulling the 5er.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Part of my question... what kinda work would classify them as "bullet proof" or as reliable as you could make one I guess.

Coated pistons, new lifters, new rockers, studs, deePF gone, good tuning. Use ONLY Oem parts. There are a bunch of other little things that are done while in there, but that hits the big ones.

Heads properly checked and decked while they're off.

Full synthetic oil and only Oem filters. Also, frequent maintenance.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So it's sounding like my Pops might make me a killer deal on this truck. 2008 King Ranch Dually with less than 50k on it. He's maintained it as recommended for such low mileage.

The second I got it, it would get e-g-r and race pipe with street tune maybe some other No Limit piping/intake goodies.

Should I still stay away? My (3) 6.4s before were monsters and I know the 350 dually with 4.10s and a few parts will be night and day difference from my CCSB 6.0 with the 5er on the back.

Play with fire?? I'll also be picking up a DD so it'll be my weekend warrior with the trailer.

Latest posts

Members online