Oil temp

workingdan

Reaction score
So i towed my toy hauler down to Virginia for our annual bike trip and going thru the "hills" the oil temp climbed to 246 degrees. My mini maxx defaulted to stock tune at 240 and it didn't climb any higher than the 246. Is that to hot? The truck made a really loud noise which i believe was the fan trying to cool it down when i got back in the gas. Heading back home Saturday and what to make sure i dont hurt my truck.

Daddy454

Reaction score
Even HOTTER!

So I'm dealing with this issue as well,only IMO-worse.Pulling my 6600# bumper pull trailer up Silver Zone Pass,to an elevation of 5940 ft.,not sure the grade- my EOT topped out at 262*.Ive done a bit of reading here on the forum,and this seems HOT,real hot.Ive taken this in to a fairly knowledgeable local indy,and they ran the laptop for codes-none,checked the cooling specs on the coolant-was good per Ford specs.Test ran it with the trailer attached,and said the coolant to oil temp was about 25* difference?I left the shop,and ran it up another short summit nearby,and got it to 255* by the top.Runs around 215-218* just around town.
I've read some threads about oil cooler issues on these pigs,as well as the freeze plug in the upper pan issue.Indy called a dealer in SLC,and they said as long as its not at 250 sustained around town,it should be fine.Also said "lift/big tires",could be the culprit.I'm not so sure.
I checked the input and output temps with my temp gun when I got home,and the difference was only 7*...215 in,208 out.Any ideas?Totally stock as far as I can tell.

CoreyMS

Reaction score
Should make a new thread to keep the info in one spot but more info is really needed about the truck setup and how fast/what gear/cruise on/off ect

jimmystoys

Reaction score
I've had mine up to 250 and 252 a couple of times. It also cooled down very quickly, unlike the 6.0l. which I had in the past, it goes up but took a lot of effort to get down. I don't think I'm worried! It appears the 6.7's are designed and capable of running a lot hotter. But it would be nice to know what the actual max limit would be.

Latest posts

Members online