The 90's called, they want their interior back

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I figured I would share some of my progress I've made over the last few months, lucky for you guys, it's still a work in progress.

This truck was originally owned by an older gentleman who bought it brand new. From what I gather, Tuscany would modify the interior of these trucks for comfort and "long hauls". This older gentleman then sold the truck to some kid and the kid sold it to me. This kid only owned the truck for 4 months but managed to really screw some stuff up.

Original Interior Pics:
The big hole had a cheap old CB radio. I'll be remaking this wooden insert all together to remove the speaker grill and the big a$$ hole.
IMG_0540_zps048cbe74.jpg

IMG_0888_zps493252fb.jpg

IMG_0887_zps30d12856.jpg

IMG_0564_zpsd06bbc88.jpg

Last edited:

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Start the job by promptly ripping everything out:
IMG_0938_zps655da108.jpg

Old junk:
IMG_0531_zps9f87cc7a.jpg

Door Panel Repair (Replicating the plastic texture was the biggest PITA):
IMG_0839_zps3c2fab52.jpg

IMG_0840_zps0b20b17a.jpg

IMG_0901_zps5de146c8.jpg

Fixed:
20140613_010602_zps00611adc.jpg

Time for some fiberglassing for custom gauge pod in overhead console:
IMG_0546_zps1b3bf06b.jpg

IMG_0547_zps66bff5d8.jpg

IMG_0550_zpsf54a5e88.jpg

IMG_0554_zps938d1939.jpg

IMG_0556_zpse231f2df.jpg

Pulled all the wood out and began stripping the polyurethane:
20140319_162111_zpsef709d22.jpg

Stripped and ready for sanding:
20140610_003817_zpsbc3d9ece.jpg

Sanded:
20140610_003825_zps7a916669.jpg

Stained:
20140611_213204_zpsaa42928a.jpg

Last edited:

2000wa250

Reaction score
Interested to know how you matched the texture...

I'm in a similar process right now..

qe3eqepu.jpg

3e9ade3a.jpg

usy6u4uh.jpg

Will be going inside the bottom of a stock middle jump seat to house a single shallow mount pioneer 12". Got a few more layers of glass to put down, then start putting everything back together.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
God damn, make me some tweeter pods like that when ya get some time, will ya? Looks good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks! I would be more than happy to fiberglass something for you! If you lived closer it would be a no brainer! Haha

Pretty nice work. Should look damn good when you get it done

I certainly hope so! It's been loads of work thus far!

Interested to know how you matched the texture...

I'm in a similar process right now..

qe3eqepu.jpg

3e9ade3a.jpg

usy6u4uh.jpg

Will be going inside the bottom of a stock middle jump seat to house a single shallow mount pioneer 12". Got a few more layers of glass to put down, then start putting everything back together.

That's looking good so far! Fiberglass is fun to play with.
On my door panel repair I matched and blended the texture using a grain pad.
I bought a grain pad that matches the original vinyl & plastic textures. I then used a releasing agent and clear intercoat paint and pressed the grain pad on the area I wanted to replicate my texture.
It took me a few times to get it perfect, but I'm very happy with the results.

As for the kick panel tweeter pods, I used both the grain pad and SEM texture paint. The tight curves of the tweeter pods made it hard to replicate the texture using a grain pad. So I blended the OEM texture in with the SEM texture. You can really only see the difference in texture when you are 6-12" away from the kick panel.

Here is a picture of my grain pad, it's relatively small though:
20140613_171054_zps6ef58624.jpg

There are a few tutorials on how to make your own grain pads, but I found it was easier just to buy one.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Where did you get the grain pad?

I bought my grain pads from http://www.docstotalpackage.net/
Since what you are fiberglassing is larger, I would suggest wrapping it in vinyl or using a piece of large vinyl as a grain pad. If you have an upholstery shop nearby, they will have a good selection of vinyls that match in color and texture.

"Docs" grain pads are relatively small, about 4" long by 2" wide. It would take some time to replicate the texture with a grain pad that small.

You could also go the SEM texture spray route.

Everything looks great! You've got some skillz! Lol

sent from my little slice of heaven (the bathroom)

Thanks! It's a slow tedious process.

Wow, I'm impressed!

I didn't expect this thread to get this much attention, thanks guys!
You guys give me motivation to push through and get things finished!

2000wa250

Reaction score
Oh it won't be for what I'm fiberglassing now...factory foam and upholstery will be going back over it, as well as the top portion of the jump seat. Interested for when I start on my doors and sail panels...although I'm tempted to ptm the sails and smooth them

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Oh it won't be for what I'm fiberglassing now...factory foam and upholstery will be going back over it, as well as the top portion of the jump seat. Interested for when I start on my doors and sail panels...although I'm tempted to ptm the sails and smooth them

Ohhh! I see, I confused myself.

Doc's package grain pads are perfect for door panels and sail panel repairs!
If you wanted, I'd be more than happy to send my grain pads your way!

2000wa250

Reaction score
I'll keep it in mind man! I got an extra set of sails so I think first round will be smoothed and ptm. On your kicks did you just use expanding foam around the base ring then shape it and bondo over it? Or is there fiberglass just no picture.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I'll keep it in mind man! I got an extra set of sails so I think first round will be smoothed and ptm. On your kicks did you just use expanding foam around the base ring then shape it and bondo over it? Or is there fiberglass just no picture.

Just let me know!

I forgot to take some pictures when doing the kicks, it is fiberglassed.
I cut out MDF rings for the tweeters and used some wooden dowel rods to position them. Hot glue to hold everything in place. Then the expanding foam and a fine hacksaw blade to shape the foam (love that stuff). Then I drilled the holes around the base of the foam (as seen in picture). I did this because fiberglass doesn't stick to ABS plastic (when using resin). Then I fiberglassed both sides of the kick panel. This sandwiched the plastic, allowing the fiberglass to have a strong bond.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Yep..know the drill trick..expanding foam is both amazing and dangerous. Know some use it as cheap sound deadening in doors, but seen some horror stories where they underestimate the power of that stuff...oops

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Yep..know the drill trick..expanding foam is both amazing and dangerous. Know some use it as cheap sound deadening in doors, but seen some horror stories where they underestimate the power of that stuff...oops

Oh yeah! Saw a car here, locally, that used it in their frame rails. It was a drift car. I guess they use it to stiffen up the existing frame. Expanding foam is some crazy stuff!

2000wa250

Reaction score
No ****...its strong enough to actually stiffen up frame rails? Damn!

Should have the box mostly finished today. Have to figure out how I'm mounting the brackets and armrest thing, get the foam carved out, and cut the brackets

Latest posts

Members online