Accidentally erased my tune!

UncleJerm76

Reaction score
Last year I drove long distance to purchase a 2012 Powerstroke with a massive (to me) No limit Fabrication intake, 6” exhaust all the way back, several other bolt-ons & H&S MiniMaxx. This is not my experience with a tuner but it is my first diesel and first time working with a MiniMaxx. I was told by previous owner to leave it in the “Performance” setting all the time, even when towing because it had a custom dyno tune specifically for this truck. I got a consistent 18 mpg in the city (19 mpg on the highway @ 80 mph) and religiously used cetane boosters at fill up intervals. I was very happy with those numbers considering it’s lifted and has 35’s. After reading several people say not to tow in this setting I decided to poke around the menus of the MiniMaxx and see what I could learn. Then I accidentally reset everything back to the stock H&S default canned tunes :doh:. I checked the microSD card thinking I would just reload them but nothing was on it to reload from. It was at that moment I realized I screwed up and permanently lost it.

Immediately I noticed power loss and dropped to 14-15 mpg. Truck runs fine (I assume this is closer to what “stock” feels like?) & no dummy lights on dash, but just isn’t the same as it was before. After learning all I could online (which is what brought me here) and deciding to live with it on the default H&S tunes, I started noticing a pattern about how many people had an issue with the H&S MiniMaxx default tunes out of the box. …specifically about them having too much timing? And if I understand correctly, no matter which l setting I choose to run on this tuner “stock”, “towing”, “street” or “performance” the timing does not change between them – is that correct?

So that’s the history, my questions are how much additional timing does the MiniMaxx add out of the box? My goals are not tire smoking power, I simply want this motor to last as long as possible. I would think stock timing would be the best bet for longevity - is that correct? Is my best long-term solution to go get it tuned on a dyno again telling them what my goals are? …or is running the additional stock H&S timing safe with these minor mods? Sorry for being such a noob. Appreciate anyone’s input who has experience on the subject!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Last year I drove long distance to purchase a 2012 Powerstroke with a massive (to me) No limit Fabrication intake, 6” exhaust all the way back, several other bolt-ons & H&S MiniMaxx. This is not my experience with a tuner but it is my first diesel and first time working with a MiniMaxx. I was told by previous owner to leave it in the “Performance” setting all the time, even when towing because it had a custom dyno tune specifically for this truck. I got a consistent 18 mpg in the city (19 mpg on the highway @ 80 mph) and religiously used cetane boosters at fill up intervals. I was very happy with those numbers considering it’s lifted and has 35’s. After reading several people say not to tow in this setting I decided to poke around the menus of the MiniMaxx and see what I could learn. Then I accidentally reset everything back to the stock H&S default canned tunes :doh:. I checked the microSD card thinking I would just reload them but nothing was on it to reload from. It was at that moment I realized I screwed up and permanently lost it.

Immediately I noticed power loss and dropped to 14-15 mpg. Truck runs fine (I assume this is closer to what “stock” feels like?) & no dummy lights on dash, but just isn’t the same as it was before. After learning all I could online (which is what brought me here) and deciding to live with it on the default H&S tunes, I started noticing a pattern about how many people had an issue with the H&S MiniMaxx default tunes out of the box. …specifically about them having too much timing? And if I understand correctly, no matter which l setting I choose to run on this tuner “stock”, “towing”, “street” or “performance” the timing does not change between them – is that correct?

So that’s the history, my questions are how much additional timing does the MiniMaxx add out of the box? My goals are not tire smoking power, I simply want this motor to last as long as possible. I would think stock timing would be the best bet for longevity - is that correct? Is my best long-term solution to go get it tuned on a dyno again telling them what my goals are? …or is running the additional stock H&S timing safe with these minor mods? Sorry for being such a noob. Appreciate anyone’s input who has experience on the subject!

give me a call, i'll make you a deal on mcc .

UncleJerm76

Reaction score
Is there a screen I can get to on my MiniMaxx that tells me if I have it unlocked or not? Otherwise I can't load an MCC correct?

BigRPower are you talking about a deal on the MCC software or a just a new file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleJerm76

Reaction score
Does this help?
1a3b63524a0f4099d831efebffa3ad01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts