Cracked nozzle after oil change...related or bad luck?

slc6oh

Reaction score
Old mans 04, studded, ******d bla bla bla... changed his oil a couple weeks ago (valvoline dyno 15/40) and hes good about running diesel power service regularly... ran fine started fine till
Yesterday coming home from work he was smoking grey pretty bad. But was running fine, i checked it out after i got off and its for sure fuel smoke, idle seemed fine, but did notice a chug/thump out of tail pipe while running.

Took it to my buddies shop this morning, smoking bad the entire way, but running fine and smooth till i was just about to his shop, fuel knocking pretty good and smoking even worse. I shut the truck off at a red light and thats all she wrote, had to tow it the 1/2mi to the shop. Wont crank abd stayed that way all day ( idk if i should feel good it’s holding pressure or be worried) he plugged into it and it had cyl3 contribution code, he didn’t get any further than that though.

Hoping to get lucky and just needs an injector...

But now that ive talked way more than needed.... anyone ever see mechanical failures like this linked to changing the oil??

Or does he just have my luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Sounds like it probably broke a rocker or ate a lifter with the thumping out the tail pipe. Did it hydro lock or just crank no start?

slc6oh

Reaction score
Hydro locked... with how faint the noise was, idk. But i mean im no 6.l diag wizzard.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
any recent injector work? possible cracked nozzle, burned up copper/loose injector.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I dont think the engines been open for 2+ years.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^Whs if one was left loose itll do that too, but typically they dont make it 15mi...

If no recent work, could be an injector just chit the bed too and its just coincidence...

slc6oh

Reaction score
You wanna know whats wrong with your 15l detroit dd15, im your man... these 6.0s all i can do is change the parts... and even then... meh. Just pay someone lol

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ugh. F class 8 rigs.... I'm strongly debating declining a offer of possible 6 figure job working on the stuff...

Pick ups FTW

wedge542

Reaction score
Worked on and owned big truck shops over 40 years, let the good times roll.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Ugh. F class 8 rigs.... I'm strongly debating declining a offer of possible 6 figure job working on the stuff...

Pick ups FTW

Been doing it 10 years so far for the same dealership...ive worked my way from sweeping the floors to that 6figure “off site detroit warranty guy”..

My dealership (freightliner) has me full time at one of the local fleets doing warranty detroit engine work for them.. easy money, gets old doing nothing but fuel pump mount o rings, head gaskets, oil pans, and the same 5 check engine lights on the same engine/ and truck over and over... BBBBUUUUT then I remember losing my ass on that mbe4000/900 engine, or series60 in a sterling dump truck, or the 1.5million mile owner op that will let you diag a truck for hours just to argue with you when you tell him whats wrong. Its kinda nice that at 29yo, i get to “coast” i mean yea im busy as **** 90% of the time but pretty much knowing what’s wrong with every truck within 15min of pulling it in my bay is nice. Ive got that dd15 down pat. Makes for some good flat rate money most of the time.

Class 8 ftw! Lol

slc6oh

Reaction score
well, tip beat up the piston, not close enough to edge to get piston into cyl wall, brake cleaned the hole out as good as could and put a different not broken injector in it to run compression test, pumped right up to about 480 and it didn't flinch for over an hour....

new injector and send it? then replace the engine when it finishes breaking? lol

anyone been or seen someone go down that "no money to fix it all the way right now" road? with any measurable success?

I highly doubt the truck will do anything but drive back and forth to work the rest of the year... (and its not tuned)

Last edited:

slc6oh

Reaction score
3a50dc9148e7535c9708a8d90887fbbd.jpeg

Yeaa. Fuuk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Damn man, that sucks. I say *** it and see what happens. Obviously not the right thing to do, but what the hell right? Either way its ***ked, might as well see how long it lasts. Just dont ever sell it without disclosing that info...

ghohouston

Reaction score
At this point, if it were mine, I would remove that cylinders injector cup, remove the nozzle, obviously replace the cup, and replace the injector. You also need to make CERTAIN fuel pressure is good, because thats the main reason nozzles break. I'd just about bet that cylinder/piston will hold up just as long as the other 7. Or you could of course just run it. It is plenty possible that fragment could just blow right out of the exhaust.

Last edited:

taterthedog

Reaction score

Pick ups FTW

I’m sure you’d like it just so much once you get used to it. Working on bigger stuff is pretty interesting. I would think the money would be better. I don’t really miss working on pickups. Definitely don’t miss dealing with customers. We don’t do much work on tractor trailers (not what I’d call big trucks) at my shop. But every now and then we have to pick at one.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Damn man, that sucks. I say *** it and see what happens. Obviously not the right thing to do, but what the hell right? Either way its ***ked, might as well see how long it lasts. Just dont ever sell it without disclosing that info...

If it was my truck- engine would come out. But its my dads and he cant swing much more than the injector at the moment... its a 10,000$ already done and studded 04’ with a rebuilt title. Runs/ran killer. So while its a big roll of the dice, and the mechanic in me cringes, I guess we’ll see how she goes... at least makes me feel good that it at least builds/holds compression

gotchadollar

Reaction score
Long as compressions is good and runs good, id send it and start saving for when that day comes.

redneck1

Reaction score
I'd definitely check the water separator, make sure it's all good. Water doesn't compress in injectors very well. Glad it's an obvious problem. It's the occasional glitch that really is frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro