Help: Rudys Cold Side Intercooler Pipe Upgrade

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
https://www.rudysdiesel.com/product-p/cmi-04.htm

So I my factory plastic intercooler pipe cracked and bought this kit from Rudys cold side intercooler pipe upgrade kit; it arrived surprisingly fast (1.5 days basically so i'm happy there). I tried to install it last night but the thing literally wasn't going on air tight at the throttle valve. I'm wondering if you're supposed to reuse the white plastic insert piece where the snap ring goes on the factory plastic piece to get it air tight? I pushed the aluminum coupler/reducer as far back as possible but i never felt snug. I could literally wiggle and spin the coupler/reducer piece around the snout/barrel of the throttle body (even with the new Oring installed). It just doesn't seem air tight to me and not sure what to do. Obviously the silicone coupling pieces with band clamps are air tight when clamped down but the connection at the throttle valve isn't. Also the factory sensor that screws into the bung in the pipe seemed a little loose & not as tight/snug as the fit it had inside the plastic OEM piece. maybe i'm missing something in regards to both? no directions were included nor any pics that i can find of Rudys kit installed on a 6.7 (just the pics on their website). Any pics or input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Bryce_fow

Reaction score
1a3b42151c04b061f36da6fd8b771f40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneck1

Reaction score
thanks for that but obviously i followed those directions and i still could not get the connection air tight. not sure if the coupler piece i have is just a hair big on the interior diameter or what?

Been down this road, dirt man. Bought a Rudy's, fought installation ( hit on my intercooler coolant elbow). Never sealed, sounded like a tea kettle. Bought a h&s full silicone. Have never regretted it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
Been down this road, dirt man. Bought a Rudy's, fought installation ( hit on my intercooler coolant elbow). Never sealed, sounded like a tea kettle. Bought a h&s full silicone. Have never regretted it since.

Yea mine is resting on the coolant elbow. Took a 1x6 Board with a 4lb hammer to knock the aluminum adapter piece with O-ring on the throttle valve. Overall I was just disappointed with the quality of the kit. Had it blow off once while driving down the road so I tightened the dog **** out the lower intercooler clamp band. On the bright side the Rudy’s salesman that I typically deal with was more than willing to swap the kit out for the H&S kit but I mean i’d Like to try a local business’ product first especially if the price is better. So long as I don’t have anymore issues i’ll be happy

redneck1

Reaction score
Yea mine is resting on the coolant elbow. Took a 1x6 Board with a 4lb hammer to knock the aluminum adapter piece with O-ring on the throttle valve. Overall I was just disappointed with the quality of the kit. Had it blow off once while driving down the road so I tightened the dog **** out the lower intercooler clamp band. On the bright side the Rudy’s salesman that I typically deal with was more than willing to swap the kit out for the H&S kit but I mean i’d Like to try a local business’ product first especially if the price is better. So long as I don’t have anymore issues i’ll be happy

I had to replace two clamps too. They didn't have the right size. But yeah, if it works it'll still be better than the factory pipe!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

shoulda called me buddy !