6.7 Preferred Mods for Long Life?

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
I’ve just updated from my ‘04 6.0L to a 2012 6.7L. As I understand, there isn’t as important a laundry list for the 6.7 as for the 6.0 (like the oil cooler, EGR cooler, water pump, etc.) but what are the best things to do for it, besides good and regular maintenance?

I’ve seen a few people talk about an EGR ******. I saw someone mention doing a “2015 upgrade” on a pre-2015 truck which I didn’t understand.

Mine’s a 2012 F-350 XLT Dually with ~98k miles. It’s got an amazing maintenance record, and the engine sounded the best of the bunch I tested out.

So what do I stay away from, and what should I do to keep it ticking well into the 200’s and beyond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
2015-2016 had more hp. Turbo and pump upgrades. Id look at de letes. I went from a 06 6.0 to a 16 6.7. Damn nice good driving truck. So far im at 31k and mpg isnt as good as i hoped amd regens are more frequent than i hoped. That will be dealt with shortly. Ive still got a daily 6.0 it turned 350k week before last. Its amazing how different theu are

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
After market fuel supply, aka air dog or fass, CP4 disaster kit cause it's not a question of if, but when. Don't idle it, change oil every 150 hours.

sootie

Reaction score
2015+ hpfp and 2017+ turbo setup and good tunes. Be careful what you put in the tank and you should enjoy a long life with it.

Reaction score
I know of a few different stock 6.7 with 200k but they had regular maintenance. One was a oil field truck that was beaten like a red headed step child and now @ 202k the turbo is starting to go. Maintain it with oem filters, good fluids and the best fuel you can find and you shouldn't have any issues.

Also a d e l e t e should only help with longevity and mileage and should be performed when possible.

Ive tuned more than a few 11-14 6.7s and with the baby dick tunes most tuners sell for the average truck your turbo should be fine for a good while.

Black AOD

Reaction score
2015+ hpfp and 2017+ turbo setup and good tunes. Be careful what you put in the tank and you should enjoy a long life with it.

This^^^

Dleet it, tune it with a reputable tuner's files, intake/exhaust, CCV kit and because your's is a 12, do the latest GT37 turbo swap which is off a 2019 and get an updated CP4 injection pump as well.

FYI Exergy makes an improved CP4 and it's about the same price as a brand new Ford/Bosch OEM cp4. It is a much better option over an OEM pump and it fuels to a higher RPM and is tested to held up significantly better than OEM units. It is NOT a stroker pump, it's just an improved reliability version of an OEM pump.

Personally, I vote do a turbo/intercooler piping kit as well. The factory intake pieces build up a lot of nasty gunk from the emissions equipment and very harshly limits air flow. If you can't swing it, at least consider the H&S intercooler pipe upgrade since those OEM ones tend to pop open a lot.

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
This is all great advice. Thank a million. I knew you’d come through!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
K. Talk to me after your fuel system fails or bottom end starts squealing!

farm boy

Reaction score
My dads 12' has 130k on it with a simple tow tune and d3letes. All factory turbo and fuel pump still and has pulled heavy **** most of its life. They are strong trucks. As said above, clean fuel is key!

I have done the above mentioned 17'+ upgrades to my 13' and have been happy with the results.

As far as reputable tuner, I've heard great things about Chris at Truck Source Diesel in San Antonio for these 6.7's. My only experience with him was on my 6.0 and his tunes ran strong.

Don't skimp on fuel filter changes. If you can swing it, add some extra fuel filtration. I picked up a used Diesel Site filtration setup online for my truck as a good piece of mind.

Good Luck

Black AOD

Reaction score
K. Talk to me after your fuel system fails or bottom end starts squealing!

I don't work on trucks day in and day out like you do so If I'm being dumb here feel free to roast me. I am very familiar with the earlier 6.7 trucks having a lot more of the fuel system failures, I think a lot of it was or is due to poor quality fuel being put in the tanks in general and also lack of proper maintenance.

Where does the bottom end squealing come into play? You talking like crank walk and stuff like that or what?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I don't work on trucks day in and day out like you do so If I'm being dumb here feel free to roast me. I am very familiar with the earlier 6.7 trucks having a lot more of the fuel system failures, I think a lot of it was or is due to poor quality fuel being put in the tanks in general and also lack of proper maintenance.

Where does the bottom end squealing come into play? You talking like crank walk and stuff like that or what?
That's kinda where im at too. I put 132k on my 12. Stock everything but dereet tuning and drove hard every day.. Most everyone else says the stock fuel pump is still more reliable and can hold pressure fine with some mods over the air dog or fass.. first i have heard of bottom end squealing..

I got my 15 with 109k on it so i cant say what happened prior to me owning it... i have 133k on it now.

But then again, i have put LE full torque additive in every single tank and use LE 8854 5w40 oil every change too..

When i got my 15 truck in January, yes i know some will say winter fuel but it never mattered in my 12 for mileage, i was getting the best of 14.2mpg on the highway. I get 18 regularly now on tge highway and 20ish on the 55mph roads....

live life full throttle

doo dah

Reaction score
My 2012 has 245k on it and never had a HP pump fail, or issues with the LPFP for that matter. I typically go 12-15k on oil changes using Lucas oil and Amsoil bypass for extra filtration, analysis come back fine every time. Around 30% of my hours are idle hours, maybe more. Chris B @TSD got 576 on the dyno with S363 and stock fuel so I might have gotten lucky with a good build day.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Basically all CP4s will fail, more earlier than others. Basic fuel filter changes cause air to enter system, even with being bled out. Its just a matter of time. Factor in a bad tank of fuel here and there, a gel event, etc. As far as I can tell there was not a single internal update to the pumps integrity in the later years. I cannot think of a single CP4 truck I've had, whether it be a pstroke, dmax, eco diesel that didn't have some sort of metallic flake in the fuel.

My advice is to send in a fuel sample or 2 a year along with your oil and check for metal. I tell all my fleets/customers that.

The metallic squeaks are definitely referring to the toasted mains. How or why I'm not convinced yet but I've had a few and so has everyone else I've talked to.

Last 6.7 engine took Ford 5 months to get me after a back order. Now I've been waiting on another for 1.5 months. Wonder why such a shortage of engines.

Doesn't matter as I'm going with Jasper(don't need any input on them, I know more than you do about the product their producing currently) from now on.

I'm not here to talk **** guys, I'm here to advise.

Petro

Reaction score
Well if they're junk, it's news to me. There are so many 6.7's in this area, it's unreal. Anywhere from new to 300k miles and of all the people I've talked to, I only know if one that has needed an engine. Some of these trucks are so badly abused, I can't believe they run at all but yet they keep ticking away. Very rarely see them in the local diesel shops needing anything other than routine maintenance or the normal ******. I wish I could say the same about 6.4's. The 6.7 has a fantastic reputation here in the Midwest.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Basically all CP4s will fail, more earlier than others. Basic fuel filter changes cause air to enter system, even with being bled out. Its just a matter of time. Factor in a bad tank of fuel here and there, a gel event, etc. As far as I can tell there was not a single internal update to the pumps integrity in the later years. I cannot think of a single CP4 truck I've had, whether it be a pstroke, dmax, eco diesel that didn't have some sort of metallic flake in the fuel.

My advice is to send in a fuel sample or 2 a year along with your oil and check for metal. I tell all my fleets/customers that.

The metallic squeaks are definitely referring to the toasted mains. How or why I'm not convinced yet but I've had a few and so has everyone else I've talked to.

Last 6.7 engine took Ford 5 months to get me after a back order. Now I've been waiting on another for 1.5 months. Wonder why such a shortage of engines.

Doesn't matter as I'm going with Jasper(don't need any input on them, I know more than you do about the product their producing currently) from now on.

I'm not here to talk **** guys, I'm here to advise.
We understand that you work on them way more than the rest. Not arguing. Just not common to hear about anything like that. Cheap oil and sh!t fuel i would say is the culprit.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online