Requisite 6.0 mods

Big Bore

Reaction score
Well, as much as I've always bagged on 6.0's, I've decided to look for a clean 6.0 Excursion for the wife and family. Kids left and I thought we were clear of needing a giant vehicle, but then parents started having issues, and someday there will be grandkids. Since I don't see Ford offering anything large in a deisel in the near future it's come down to an X. My buddies has always gotten good mileage (20mpg?) and hasn't had too many issues, but it's also just a grocery getter for the most part.

So, what is required to make a 6.0 completely reliable and is there a canned or otherwise daily driver tune that makes them get better mileage and are there other mods that help in the mileage dept? I have no plans to do anything performance oriented unless it also happens to be on the reliability or mileage list. The 7.3 soaks up enough performance cash as it is.

I know my buddy always talks about an EGR delete. Is there more than one way to do that and if so is one better?

Thanks.

patrickke

Reaction score
Egr delete, head studs, replace oil cooler, coolant filter, exhaust and an h&s or sct and you should be happy...Also keep good fluids in it... A couple of cheap and easy things to do/ get would be a fumoto drain valve, upgraded hcfm valve, and billet fuel and oil filter caps

Give a call to the guys at holderdown, they can hook you up on just about everything on that list

Last edited:

Irontx

Reaction score
Replace with stock unit, or aftermarket?

lol, 7.3 guy here, no idea what that is.:doh:

And thanks for the reply, I had heard about the coolant filter and also that there were a couple different styles.

HFCM( horizontal fuel conditioning module) or fuel pump for short.:D

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Replace with stock unit, or aftermarket?
Most rebuild or replace the stocker. There are aftermarket coolers out there though. Once you delete the EGR cooler and add a coolant filter, the stocker should go a long time.

lol, 7.3 guy here, no idea what that is.:doh:
He's talking about the little quarter turn drain valve like what people use in place oil drain plugs. In this case he's talking about getting one for the stock fuel pump (hcfm). In stock form, come time for a filter change, draining the hcfm can make a mess.

Strictly Diesel has put together a "master kit" that looks to be a pretty good deal for everything you get. There are a few other shops that have put together similar kits, although none come to mind right now.:doh:

Strictly also sells the hcfm drain valve.

Edit: I m slo. Irontx beat me to it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Ok i've got a Fumoto drain on the 7.3 oil pan so I know what that is. I'll look into those master kits etc.

As far as my buddy being FOS on the mileage. he is the guy who constantly schools me on using a GPS to verify speed and hand calculating anytime the subject of mileage comes up. I believe he told me the last time he calculated mileage going from mountains to Denver and back he got 18 mpg. Thats an elevation change of over 4000ft and a couple 10,000ft passes.

Atsah

Reaction score
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/Page_029.html

A little reading...

One of the first things I would do is to replace the FPR with the upgraded kit from Ford.. It's about $70.00 at the dealer.. I think you can buy it on the net for about $54.00.. It will raise fuel pressure so that your injectors live longer..

I would also change out all fluids and filters immediately.. Stay with Motorcraft filters, they do what needs doing..

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Ok i've got a Fumoto drain on the 7.3 oil pan so I know what that is. I'll look into those master kits etc.

As far as my buddy being FOS on the mileage. he is the guy who constantly schools me on using a GPS to verify speed and hand calculating anytime the subject of mileage comes up. I believe he told me the last time he calculated mileage going from mountains to Denver and back he got 18 mpg. Thats an elevation change of over 4000ft and a couple 10,000ft passes.

It's possible with the right tuning and a light foot. I just wouldn't expect 20 mpg for regular driving.

Atsah

Reaction score
I don't doudt he gets 20 with his ex, I get 18hwy with my 1 ton with an open bed..

04stroker

Reaction score
I believe about everything has been mentioned be a good idea to get a fuel pressure gauge to catch an issue BEFORE an injector goes out. Lol I believe I have a updated fuel pressure spring from ford laying around pay the shipping and you can have it.

RescueF250

Reaction score
Getting to far into it. Theres folks out there still on stock head bolts. Bore here plain and simple

EGR Delete
Coolant Filtration System
Rebuild the oil cooler
SCT No fancy tune just mild.
Gauges EDGE display shows u everything you need and its small.

Be done with it, you dont need HG, Studs etc. When the time comes for it then ya. But HeavyAssault is still on stock studs even with a Powermax on it. Just look over the truck really well get the history on it stick with the basic mods.

patrickke

Reaction score
I was listing everything that commonly is needed after modding... i would get an h&s w/ kem tunes that way you have a nice display and not alot of other things junking up the cab

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I know its possible, I have hand calculated 22.4 mpg on all highway miles. 14-16 is much more realistic for your average driver though.