How to plot a compressor map

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I'm trying to do some sizing for a new turbo by plotting some points on a compressor map. The two variables that I'm missing are the volumetric efficiency for our motor and the pressure drop between the compressor and the manifold. I know the pressure drop is usually estimated...what number should I use and what should I use as the VE for this motor?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I really dont know, i have heard on most diesels to use 100%, when i figure it i just copied what a duramax formula is just to keep it simple, i did change the VE a couple times and even if you change it a little its not a huge difference when looking for what turbo to pick

Dzchey21

Reaction score
garrett lists the formula under the diesel section of compressor maps, i just followed the duramax formula but used a 6.4 for displacement just to get close, seams to be somewhat close

Are you looking for a single turbo or twins?

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
yeah I have the formulas...but the VE and DP are the only things that are variable. just not sure what to use.

planning on a little bigger single. the powermax is great but need some more up top. probably a 64 but want to make sure the housing is tight enough to spool it early for daily driving but loose enough to keep drive pressure in check.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah I have the formulas...but the VE and DP are the only things that are variable. just not sure what to use.

planning on a little bigger single. the powermax is great but need some more up top. probably a 64 but want to make sure the housing is tight enough to spool it early for daily driving but loose enough to keep drive pressure in check.

go tight then wastegate it LOL i know what you mean, sometimes its just best to find someone who ran what you want

matt moroni did 614? i think on a 64 in his red truck

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
yeah i'd be curious to see how much I could get out of 190's. i know i have PLENTY of fuel left once this pmax is topped out...

600 would be nice!

a_moore

Reaction score
My vote is the 8374 .92 A/R gated EFR FTW!

It will be my high pressure unit when the time comes on the 6.4.

Attachments

• BorgWarner_EFRturbo6.jpg
    BorgWarner_EFRturbo6.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 37
  • efr_power_chart[1].pdf
    432.4 KB · Views: 41
  • efr_technical_data[1].pdf
    499.1 KB · Views: 37

cfdeng7

Reaction score
If u want to sell the powermax when u get a new turbo let me know

Latest posts