Valve seals...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
What am I going to gain if anything by replacing the valve seals? Less blow by? Compression? Anything?

Should have done them when I had the motor out, but was in a hurry and so...

SDstroker

Reaction score
Are you talking the ones under the valve springs? If yours are leaking you will burn less oil I suppose with new ones.

golfer

Reaction score
we don't run valve seals on our high-ish hp engines...

the only time a (turbocharged) diesel would 'suck' oil through the (worn or non existant) seals would be at idle...if then

valve stem wear is pretty ridiculous on these engines...so removing the seals can increase lubrication of the stem...which is also why even our "stock" engine's get bronze valve guides...

less wear...less valve stem/valve face "rock"..a more square seating for the valves/seats...more longevity.

CSIPSD

Reaction score

the only time a (turbocharged) diesel would 'suck' oil through the (worn or non existant) seals would be at idle...if then

valve stem wear is pretty ridiculous on these engines...so removing the seals can increase lubrication of the stem...which is also why even our "stock" engine's get bronze valve guides...

less wear...less valve stem/valve face "rock"..a more square seating for the valves/seats...more longevity.

So would a motor with around 250k on it and unknown history for the first 180k be a good candidate to just leave it the hell alone?

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
im going to attempt these while changing out my valvesprings and pushrods.
any vendors on here that sell them?

Last edited:

OSCS

Reaction score

I'm curious to know why a turbo diesel won't suck down oil at the seals but gasses do?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I'm curious to know why a turbo diesel won't suck down oil at the seals but gasses do?

Well.... one has a constant and varying vacuum on the intake runner typically (gas engine) - the other might have a vacuum at idle, but it quickly becomes neutral to positive pressure as the turbo comes on... (turbo diesel) without the vacuum there is nothing in the intake runner to suck the oil down out of the head. Its really more of a difference between naturally aspirated and forced induction - but most gas engines that people are familiar with are naturally aspirated and most modern diesels that we care about a forced induction.

OSCS

Reaction score
Well.... one has a constant and varying vacuum on the intake runner typically (gas engine) - the other might have a vacuum at idle, but it quickly becomes neutral to positive pressure as the turbo comes on... (turbo diesel) without the vacuum there is nothing in the intake runner to suck the oil down out of the head. Its really more of a difference between naturally aspirated and forced induction - but most gas engines that people are familiar with are naturally aspirated and most modern diesels that we care about a forced induction.

Thank you

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.