how much horsepower can u make with a stock bottomend

twisted stroke

Reaction score
I have a 96 7.3 and would like to know what i can make before i need to change the rods and pistons i am new to the 7.3 thank you !!!

blackbetty13

Reaction score
Some will tell you 550 others will say 650. In the end it really depends on who tuned it. Reason being mine has lasted me a year, but its a ticking timebomb

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Obsboysel is makin around 650 on stock bottom end and he sprays it and everything. He dd it to. Like said earlier tuning plays a huge part.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Mine was right at 600 when it blew. It had 13k miles worth of 1/4 mile passes, sled pulls, and general moronic driving though. The new engine is over that now though with 400/400's.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I have a 96 7.3 and would like to know what i can make before i need to change the rods and pistons i am new to the 7.3 thank you !!!

How you going to define success at the end...dyno, track, or sled?

I would do a compression check to ensure the stock long block is worth dumping money into first. If it checks out 390+ and balanced among the 8 cylinders...then live tuning, a single turbo, with a small shot of spray would be the formula I would use to maximize hp on a "stock" forged rod long block.

The best advice would come from a established shop that has experience accomplishing your exact goals.

pontiacross

Reaction score
Ponaticross does over 700hp.

dyno35.jpg

dyno15.jpg

dyno25.jpg

we had some pulls with a little more power but liked this one the best because of how wide the power band is. this was also probably about the 15th or so pull of the day....
engine has 220k on it and have been pulling it for over 5 years now
I popped a head gasket at the end of the season. haven't tore it down yet, but have had it running since and it sounds fine other than a bad miss LOL nothing fire rings wont fix

Last edited:

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Im sitting at 550ish,been there for a couple years now. Daily drive it,race,and Dyno. Like everyone has said,its all in the tuning

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

TARM

Reaction score
That 773 HP is on the engine dyno correct? Did you ever get it on a chassis dyno to see what the driveline losses were to get a comparison? Be interesting as the common number that seems to be used in 20% loss for a auto. Wondering if that is high or somewhat accurate? That would put it close to 620HP just hard to think you loose that much. 10-15% would be what I would hope for my way being the 10% LOL

CurtisF

Reaction score
It's hit or miss some people have made 700 and some blow at 500. It's depends on how far you want to push it.

I would venture to say that what's really important in whether or not an engine lives or dies is to look at the torque curve.

For the motors that window with less HP, what does their torque curve look like?

TARM

Reaction score
TQ and CP are related and tend to run with each other but from what I have seen and talking to guys changing up anything that effects the combustion event can effect the peak CP at a particular tq level. A small change could get you the same tq but a lower peak CP and an example.

I would think Golfer could talk much more intelligently and in depth about this and much of what they have learned and confirmed with the time they have had on that dyno with all its toys.

Latest posts

Members online