SXE education request

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
The faster I go the more she wants to eat. I find myself lifting now and not for the EGTs lol. Those numbers sound about right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
The faster I go the more she wants to eat. I find myself lifting now and not for the EGTs lol. Those numbers sound about right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sounds pretty decent, under 1250 sustained has always been the rule of thumb

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Swaan

Reaction score
Those numbers sound right.
You'll find the egts will flatline and wont get much hotter.

Mine if worked real hard would get to 1200 and never any higher. Normally 1150 ish. Cruising pulling 10,000lbs about 7-10 lbs and 900-1000 egts.

The only problem I had was coolant temp. Had to drop a gear and keep boost down around 20psi on real long hills in the middle of summer .. OBS trucks dont have enough square inch on the rad core to cool 400rwhp properly.

mandkole

Reaction score
Those numbers sound right.
You'll find the egts will flatline and wont get much hotter.

Mine if worked real hard would get to 1200 and never any higher. Normally 1150 ish. Cruising pulling 10,000lbs about 7-10 lbs and 900-1000 egts.

The only problem I had was coolant temp. Had to drop a gear and keep boost down around 20psi on real long hills in the middle of summer .. OBS trucks dont have enough square inch on the rad core to cool 400rwhp properly.

Put a temp gun on the rear diff after pulling hard. There's a few components that don't like sustained 350-400.

Swaan

Reaction score
Put a temp gun on the rear diff after pulling hard. There's a few components that don't like sustained 350-400.

I'm too scared to look. Lol! Synthetic lube , a big alum diff cover and I just cross my fingers. I have a probe for temp in my zf5 and have no problem buzzing that up to 260-270 lmao. That's with best oil money can buy and 2 coolers hanging off the side of the trans.

rhorsers

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it has been a while but I finally got my 238/100s, S364.5SXE with .91 housing, Irate fuel system, and the new billet Adrenaline. Running Gearhead tunes. This is in my ZF6 truck with the Sb DD 650 ft lb clutch and a 4.10 ratio. I am having big issues taking off from a stop with a heavy load. I have stalled the engine a couple times just letting the clutch out slowly trying to pull off and then if I try to rev it before letting clutch out, I start burning the clutch or it starts jerking heavily. At higher RPM and speed it is as strong as I could ask for. The turbo doesnt spool as quick as I thought, only seen 40 PSI max once in all out tune unloaded in 6th gear and not sure if this is normal, I cant drive the dual disk clutch or if I actually have an issue. I have pretty much confirmed no boost leaks. Also the highest ICP I have seen at WOT is 2500 PSI. Not sure if this has anything to do with this or not. Boost really doesnt start to get where I would expect(25 PSI or greater) until around 2200 RPM. Any help is greatly appreciated. I do have a few more things to check such as do I have the correct turbo and housing, PCM code for tuning, etc, but reading all your comments about the 366SXE, I dont see how that could be my problem. Looks like I should be fine with either 364.5 or the 366 with either housing. I went with the smaller turbo because I was afraid of spooling early enough with the manual. Thanks in advance

rhorsers

Reaction score
I did check up pipes and exhaust and have no soot anywhere. The tunes are Gearhead for the injectors and Matt says it is a proven tune for this setup and they have never had this issue. I want to maybe try a different tune but also need to check to make sure I have the actual turbo and housing I am supposed to have. But that too wouldn't have anything to do with ICP. Should I see more than 2500 psi on ICP?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
You will see more.than that of the tuner calls for more. I would ask Matt what he's calling for, and go from there. Let him know what you are seeing for ICP as well.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Oh! By the way, duel disc clutches aren't really the best for towing or its not the propper plate load. Duel discs and take a bit of slipping. I always had to rev high and slip my 01 to get it to move smoothly any time i drove it. Way worse when towing. The kid i sold it to couldnt hack it either and blew the clutch up and went back to a single..

Iso-baric

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it has been a while but I finally got my 238/100s, S364.5SXE with .91 housing, Irate fuel system, and the new billet Adrenaline. Running Gearhead tunes. This is in my ZF6 truck with the Sb DD 650 ft lb clutch and a 4.10 ratio. I am having big issues taking off from a stop with a heavy load. I have stalled the engine a couple times just letting the clutch out slowly trying to pull off and then if I try to rev it before letting clutch out, I start burning the clutch or it starts jerking heavily. At higher RPM and speed it is as strong as I could ask for. The turbo doesnt spool as quick as I thought, only seen 40 PSI max once in all out tune unloaded in 6th gear and not sure if this is normal, I cant drive the dual disk clutch or if I actually have an issue. I have pretty much confirmed no boost leaks. Also the highest ICP I have seen at WOT is 2500 PSI. Not sure if this has anything to do with this or not. Boost really doesnt start to get where I would expect(25 PSI or greater) until around 2200 RPM. Any help is greatly appreciated. I do have a few more things to check such as do I have the correct turbo and housing, PCM code for tuning, etc, but reading all your comments about the 366SXE, I dont see how that could be my problem. Looks like I should be fine with either 364.5 or the 366 with either housing. I went with the smaller turbo because I was afraid of spooling early enough with the manual. Thanks in advance

How long has the setup been together? What compound is the clutch?
SB DD clutches are extremely grabby, especially for the first few thousand miles. If it is a hybrid ceramic/organic or fully ceramic you will have even more.
I find mine to be tolerable after a combination of break-in and figuring out where the engagement point is / how much I can slip it. Even so, I'll still drop the t-case into low range when backing loaded trailers uphill.

Next clutch I might try one from Kenny's, or the single disk Valair advertises to hold 650hp. Not convinced a single disk with ceramic buttons will behave any better under a trailer, but I've been wrong before.

psduser1

Reaction score
I've towed a lot, and heavy, with a dual disc setup. Fourteen thousand, and up.
That said it was an 8 button organic, set at 3400 lbs. Not grabby, but they definitely need to be set up right. I could not slip it under load, and there was plenty of power in front.
The ceramic is a hard no for me in a tow application, especially in a single setup, and I doubt organic would give a decent service life. Under 10k, you'd get away with it, I think.

rhorsers

Reaction score
The clutch is half ceramic/half organic. It has been in for around 3 or 4000 miles maybe at the most. The engine work was just done and has around 1000 miles so together the entire setup has around 1000 but the clutch longer.

rhorsers

Reaction score
Also Matt knows the ICP I am seeing. I asked him what I should be seeing but he hasn't elaborated on that. Just that something isn't right with the boost I am seeing

psduser1

Reaction score
The ceramic isn't helping you at all. Best you can do there is play with the amount of slip it'll tolerate. I'd say anywhere in the 30s psi is plenty of air in top gear, but the icp should go up around 28-3000 psi, depending on the tune, and assuming everything is up to snuff, mechanically.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.