Suggestions on Maintenance Intervals without considering mileage

jameslnewton.jn

Reaction score
I am trying to get suggestions on maintenance intervals for my oil and filters. I have a 2010 F250 that is tuned and ******d. I run synthetic oil and fomoco filters. The reason I am asking is because it will literally take me “years” to hit the mileage intervals for both the oil and filter changes. I bought the truck in October 2015 with 49,000 miles and just hit 55,000 this month. I do pull a camper every couple of months, but do not use the truck much more than that.

Most of my research says oil should be changed at the mileage mark or 1 year. Filters, I haven’t found anything on time, just mileage. Is it really necessary to change my oil at 1 year? This current oil has less than 3,500 miles but I am approaching the 12 month mark. Can the filters deteriorate or be less effective over time absent the mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I am trying to get suggestions on maintenance intervals for my oil and filters. I have a 2010 F250 that is tuned and ******d. I run synthetic oil and fomoco filters. The reason I am asking is because it will literally take me “years” to hit the mileage intervals for both the oil and filter changes. I bought the truck in October 2015 with 49,000 miles and just hit 55,000 this month. I do pull a camper every couple of months, but do not use the truck much more than that.

Most of my research says oil should be changed at the mileage mark or 1 year. Filters, I haven’t found anything on time, just mileage. Is it really necessary to change my oil at 1 year? This current oil has less than 3,500 miles but I am approaching the 12 month mark. Can the filters deteriorate or be less effective over time absent the mileage?

All engine oils have emulsion promoters in their add packs, diesels even more so. Its so water doesn’t coalesce in the pan. So oil sitting open to atmo is basically sucking up water. I tell my fleets 18 to 24 months max. But yearly is a good pm. Monthly starts will hell. You don’t want rust starting inside the engine.

79jasper

Reaction score
I heard dino oil will start to break down when it leaves a sealed container. Something like a couple years of life.
Heard synthetic doesn't do that.

But... I trust was Jim says. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I heard dino oil will start to break down when it leaves a sealed container. Something like a couple years of life.
Heard synthetic doesn't do that.

But... I trust was Jim says. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Most base oils are pretty good these days. The term synthetic is so dang misleading these days as well. I could see that in the past though, oils used to be straight garbage.
I have seen solid additive settle out, especially the molly. If I have quarts or pails on the shelf for a while, i flip them every few months.

Latest posts

Members online