Do these hpop's go out, or start to slowly die?

chaselee

Reaction score
For a couple days now my truck has had a lack of boost and top end power. Under normal driving circumstances, it drives fine, but as soon as you roll into it to pass or whatnot it jumps to about 18psi and it's like the last half of the pedal is dead. Nothing past 1/2 throttle does anything. I took it to my local shop today and he put it on the laptop and we drove around for a bit doing several full throttle pulls.

Mind you most of this is Greek to me, but my understanding is that the tune is asking for a certain psi of oil pressure and it's not getting it. As soon as I stab the throttle, it spikes then slowly falls back off to quite a bit less than the demand it's asking for. I had to leave to head to work, so he told me when I get in it cold in the morning, to jump off into it and see if it's still doing it. Something about with the oil being cold it should run better than with it hot if the hpop is starting to give up the ghost.

Does this sound right or make sense to you guys?

chaselee

Reaction score
Just to add. The truck has 165k on it with a ton of new parts including the turbo, intercooler, efuel, etc etc. All boots are right with no leaks. The map sensor checks dead nuts with my boost huage and the icp is a 2 mth old motorcraft.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If you can find something that will tell you what your duty cycle is doing, that’ll help. But yeah your gonna need another HPOP.

chaselee

Reaction score
Duty cycle was in the 70's until it threw the code, then it dropped into the 30's. I'm guessing that's a default when it's showing a code?

chaselee

Reaction score
So you think for sure that I need an hpop? Also, I was told not to worry with an adrenaline or anything like that. Just to go to a new 17* hpop would be fine for my setup. Thoughts? I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't need to, but...

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Compare cost but, for 160’s, I think a new 17* should be ok but can’t go wrong with an adrenaline.

DieselDC

Reaction score
You don’t need an adrenaline etc.

Your stock hpop will handle 200/200 (550rwhp) hybrid injectors with authority. So will your stock fuel system.

If you have the money, it would be a nice upgrade not necessary. Even a weak high mileage hpop will serve any icp pressure requested by your tuning.

Regarding your hpop - 165k is low low miles for an hpop dying. My previous one died at 400k (lucky I guess) but the rest are 200k and above and doing fine. If icp goes op and no hpop pressure, you need a new hpop as proven by the several WOT you’ve done.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

chaselee

Reaction score
Well crap! I was sure hoping you guys were going to tell me that it was some $20 dollar sensor that we hadn't thought of. Lol. As stated before, I probly won't spring for the adrenaline if I don't need it. I'm trying to recover from building my shop and I still have electric to run which is going to cost me several K.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Lol. Confirmed: go stock new hpop.

As far as electricals - run it by yourself if you have the know how.

—————signature—————

chaselee

Reaction score
Lol. Confirmed: go stock new hpop.

As far as electricals - run it by yourself if you have the know how.

—————signature—————

I'm going to, just the materials I've still got to by. Was hoping to be done with the truck for a while. Lol

DieselDC

Reaction score
Adrenaline is $700. Bosch stocker is $530 from riffraff

—————signature—————

chaselee

Reaction score
yep, the factory is 850 freakin dollars!? What is wrong with these people!?
With that being said... is the adrenaline the best to go with for my application or is there something else ou there like the T500 that would work just fine for me? Im not trying to be a cheap a$$ but this was really unexpected right now. thanks guys.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Adrenaline and one from cncfab stg2.... I have both. Same chit to me. I’m sure there are differences and only through flow testing and dyno time will anyone really know.... I’d go with either since I have both I can’t say which one is best.

Now knowing what i know, I wouldnt buy either. If I were to exceed the stocks capabilities, sure I’d definitely upgrade to one.

One thing with @corey@cncfab is he is an honest man. He will not push for the hpop unless you absolutely needed it for your application. I didn’t but I bought one from him anyways. Don’t regret it one bit. He also has every damn gofastpart(s) you need too !

—————signature—————

old man dave

Reaction score
You could try one of these, Terminator T-500 good for moderately sized injectors:

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/terminator-t500-hpop/

I used a big HPOP (meaning a set of twins) with my small 160 stageII injectors and there was a good increase in power over a 17* SD hpop. When I replaced the stock mechanical fuel pump with a SD electric one I had a 8-10hp increase in power on the dyno at the 400hp level.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Before you do anything, you need to know what the tunes are commanding. If the tunes are look for XXX HPO and the HPOP can't deliver, then the IPR % will increase to try to reach the value in the tune. Plus, if you have leak in the HPO system, that'll contribute to the low HPO.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online