CP4 High pressure pump disaster prevention kit

romainchu78

Reaction score
hello, what is the best quality/price prevention disaster kit on the market for a 2012 f250 6.7L ?

sootie

Reaction score
Whatever floats your boat. Not really a necessary item imo

Just be careful what you put in the tank.

ncollins64

Reaction score
The s&s kit is very nice and well made. I’ve installed several. As Sootie said use good fuel and change filters with motorcraft every time.

romainchu78

Reaction score
how many hours did you spent installing it?
are there any cheaper choices than S&S (bit still good quality)?

I buy my diesel fuel from a high traffic Valero gas station. plus i use fuel additive. plus i change my fuel filters twice a year. plus i drain water from tank fuel filter once a month. plus i have a very conservative driving (never any brutal accelerations, try not to exceed 1,500 RPM, do little warm up before driving) but was told the CP4 might still break. my truck has 140,000 miles. i bought it when it had 106,000 miles and i don't know if previous owners took care of it or not. i just can't afford $10,000 in repair for changing the complete fuel system if this happens to break. I would feel more comfortable doing it.

Zeb

Reaction score

I buy my diesel fuel from a high traffic Valero gas station. plus i use fuel additive. plus i change my fuel filters twice a year. plus i drain water from tank fuel filter once a month. plus i have a very conservative driving (never any brutal accelerations, try not to exceed 1,500 RPM, do little warm up before driving) but was told the CP4 might still break. my truck has 140,000 miles. i bought it when it had 106,000 miles and i don't know if previous owners took care of it or not. i just can't afford $10,000 in repair for changing the complete fuel system if this happens to break. I would feel more comfortable doing it.

It’s good to try to take care of stuff, but with that driving style you’re doing more harm to the emissions system than you are good to the rest of the truck.

Petro

Reaction score

Its a 6.7l V8, not a C15 Cat, some rpm is definitely not going to hurt it and some hard accelation every so often is a good thing. You're not saving anything by driving it the way you are. If you're that worried, I'd suggest buying a gas engine.

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
Could you please explain that more in details?

Idling, low rpm driving, etc keep heat much lower in the combustion and exhaust level which increases soot loading.
Soot loading contributes to more frequent regens, lower fuel mileage, and shorter emissions equipment life span.

PSDJunky

Reaction score
Idling, low rpm driving, etc keep heat much lower in the combustion and exhaust level which increases soot loading.

Soot loading contributes to more frequent regens, lower fuel mileage, and shorter emissions equipment life span.
^
--------------------‐--------------------------------
OP,

I used to be really worried about stuff like that when I got my first PSD. But, think of what they're designed for. They need to been worked at least somewhat. You basically want to do all your maintenance at the correct intervals, remember your payment/don't beat on it from every stop light, but have fun driving it. It likes getting to and maintaining 190°-210° oil temp and 1,700-2,000 RPM for extended periods of time. In fact, it needs it, precisely for what Zeb mentioned. Let it run

tomlin

Reaction score
Your best move would be to check and see if your auto insurance covers fuel contamination. Water and subsequent rust is your number one killer of these CP 4 pumps. If they cover it, drive it like you stole it. That chances of you having an issue are pretty slim but I understand your concern. 10k is a large amount of dough to fork over for a repair. Add that in with your monthly truck payment and yeah, it would hurt, bad.

romainchu78

Reaction score

thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I’d Invest in a diesel site fuel filter kit before a disaster prevention kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you explain? I'm not familiar with how it works? Is it a filter that filters right out of the pump? Cause that's the only way to stop metal from entering fuel system...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Precisely. And any filtering isn't going to help once a pump is grenading.... People don't get that the fuel used to lube the internals of the pump is directed to the injection cycle of the pump...

Fuel goes in, lubes cam and rollers, picks up metal, then goes directly to the piston to get pressurized and sent to injectors....

Bypass kit takes that lube fuel and tosses it back into tank. It only stops fuel system from being contaminated

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
While I don't have a HPFP to put my hands on I'm asking to gain the knowledge. I'm not trying to argue any particular point.

So the HPFP in stock form uses the same "lube" fuel to inject fuel into the cylinders.
Whereas using the Bypass kit the "lube" fuel is never introduced into the cylinders and has a secondary "clean" feed of fuel to the cylinders.

Is that the right principle of the bypass kit??

So that would leave us to using the OEM filters to capture any shavings/contamination that is "bypassed" to the fuel tank.

Is that correct?

Latest posts

Members online