Kc300x

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on the kc300x, specifically the 66/73? My truck is an 01, has 300k+ turbo and injectors, needless to say they're wore out, zf6, 6637, and bellowed up pipes.. I have 238/80 injectors and the irate fuel system, I had planned on doing all the mods at once.. head studs, valve springs and pushrods will come a little later unfortunately..

Originally I had planned on going with a s366sxe t4 kit, but the kc300x piqued my interest as a much cheaper alternative and to get the shiny new parts in my truck..

So, let's hear what everyone's opinions are on the kc300x and how it stacks against the s366sxe t4 setup(not fair comparison, I know, just wanting to juggle the cost difference).. I'm not racing the truck, just a daily driven, lifted 6 speed pig that I'm wanting more powah outta and does tow sometimes

mcnance865

Reaction score
I run 238/80s with the KC38r which is the same size, just ball bearing. I run it with the 1.0 housing. With those injectors, I will tell you to just go straight to T4 and 366 with .91 housing. Especially, since you are manual and lifted. The drop in turbos just don't seem to like the bigger nozzles unless you are at 1800-1900+ rpm. If turbo falls under, it is pretty tough to get it back on top.

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
For sure go the 364.5/366 T4 route. I run a GT4294R with .90 housing it starts coming on at 1700 rpm on my daily driver setting. For sure its a little lagy up to 1700 rpm but clears up the 238/80's to a light grey haze on the drag ripper setting and the power is just plain nuts.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
What about with the .84 exhaust housing? Spool is very important to me, considering right now at 70 I'm around 1750 rpms

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I thought 238/80s were a bit too much for the 364, which is why I was looking more towards the 366.. honestly the main reason I'm looking at the kc turbo is I can afford that right now, where a t4 kit probably won't happen for a while unfortunately

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
I thought 238/80s were a bit too much for the 364, which is why I was looking more towards the 366.. honestly the main reason I'm looking at the kc turbo is I can afford that right now, where a t4 kit probably won't happen for a while unfortunately
If turbo response is number one on your list then the 364.5 is your best choice, if not then use the 366. Plus you have a manual trans which will work better with a smaller turbo.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
For sure.. just hard looking at the boxes of injectors and fuel system while I wait for the turbo kit lol

Petro

Reaction score
You'll more than likely be more than happy with the drop in KC charger. I cant count on two hands all the 7.3's in this area running drop in turbos with bigger injectors and they run and tow just fine and the owners are more than happy with them. Hell, I used to run a drop in 66 with stock ad injectors, 35's and a 6 speed and it drove and towed just fine. According to half the guys on this page, you just can't tow or use a drop in 7.3 turbo, it just doesn't work when in reality they work just fine, adjust your tuning and its fine. It'll spool a whopping 100 rpms slower and unless you spend all of your time staring at the boost gauge, you won't know the difference and you'll be plenty happy with the drop in. These guys are blinded by their sxe boner and can't imagine using anything else.

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Some of us don't even have a sxe or give a rats ass about them but they have their purpose and do a great job at it. I do know that 238/80's do not play 100% well with drop in style turbos. Now with that said the 238/80's can be pulled back to work just fine with the drop in turbos. In this case pick the turbo you want and move on.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Getting interesting lol..I remember when I first bought my truck, many guys were still recommending the 38r and 238/100s as the safe go to combination.. from everything I've been able to find, the kc300x is better than the 38r by a longshot..

No doubt the sxe turbos are friggin awesome, I'm just trying to get a consensus as to whether the kc option is a good budget option or not.. I wish I had the extra $2500 to spend on the t4 option.. I wouldn't be asking these questions right now, but being laid off restricts that option quite a bit, and with oil the way it is, I don't think that will change anytime soon for me..

I guess I should have asked for opinions from people who have a kc300x

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Getting interesting lol..I remember when I first bought my truck, many guys were still recommending the 38r and 238/100s as the safe go to combination.. from everything I've been able to find, the kc300x is better than the 38r by a longshot..

No doubt the sxe turbos are friggin awesome, I'm just trying to get a consensus as to whether the kc option is a good budget option or not.. I wish I had the extra $2500 to spend on the t4 option.. I wouldn't be asking these questions right now, but being laid off restricts that option quite a bit, and with oil the way it is, I don't think that will change anytime soon for me..

I guess I should have asked for opinions from people who have a kc300x
The KC300x will work great but you most likely will need to detune the 238's a little bit. Please don't take as the only turbo that will even remotely work is a T4 based turbo. Any turbo can be made to work with those 238/80's including the stock turbo, it just takes some tuning adjustment and will not be the correct tool for the job. Plus its a personal opinion of what "works" and what "works better". Good luck with what ever you choose to go with.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Oh for sure, I was never under the impression that the sxe turbos were the only thing ever to work and all others wouldn't..

Outlaw bill, I appreciate your input and thoughts.. it's a hard decision right now because I know that I want the sxe kit, but that option will be a lot farther off, and in the meantime my injectors aren't getting any newer lol

I am thinking that I might be the Guinea pig here and try the kc300x 66/73 with the .84 housing, it seems it's new enough that a lot of guys haven't gone with it, and more and more are going with a t4 kit than drop in turbos.. not 100% decided yet, but I am leaning that way..

Again, thank you for your input and opinions! Love hearing them!

The Brad

Reaction score
I think an .84 housing is gonna be too tight for 238/80s. As Outlaw Bill mentioned, your injectors can be dialed back to work with any turbo, including a stock turbo. If an SXE is your ultimate goal, just detune the sticks until you can afford a T4 and run your stocker. Buy once, cry once. Dropping over a grand on a turbo that requires neutering your injectors doesn’t make sense to me. Then again, that could just be my SXE “boner” talking.

mcnance865

Reaction score
You'll more than likely be more than happy with the drop in KC charger. I cant count on two hands all the 7.3's in this area running drop in turbos with bigger injectors and they run and tow just fine and the owners are more than happy with them. Hell, I used to run a drop in 66 with stock ad injectors, 35's and a 6 speed and it drove and towed just fine. According to half the guys on this page, you just can't tow or use a drop in 7.3 turbo, it just doesn't work when in reality they work just fine, adjust your tuning and its fine. It'll spool a whopping 100 rpms slower and unless you spend all of your time staring at the boost gauge, you won't know the difference and you'll be plenty happy with the drop in. These guys are blinded by their sxe boner and can't imagine using anything else.

I run a KC38r with 238/80s. It is the 80% nozzle which I believe is the problem on drop in style turbos. You mention people towing with stock sticks and drop ins, and that is my point those smaller nozzles seem like they spool the drop in style turbos better. Don't get me wrong, my KC is not "bad" by any means, but you have to know how to drive it and keep it out of overdrive or it will bog down into a smokey mess quick. I have tunes with multiple revisions from GH, SDK, 1023, and Jelibuilt and it is pretty much the same story from all of them. This has been my personal experience running this combo for the last 2 years+.

Petro

Reaction score
I run a KC38r with 238/80s. It is the 80% nozzle which I believe is the problem on drop in style turbos. You mention people towing with stock sticks and drop ins, and that is my point those smaller nozzles seem like they spool the drop in style turbos better. Don't get me wrong, my KC is not "bad" by any means, but you have to know how to drive it and keep it out of overdrive or it will bog down into a smokey mess quick. I have tunes with multiple revisions from GH, SDK, 1023, and Jelibuilt and it is pretty much the same story from all of them. This has been my personal experience running this combo for the last 2 years+.

Ive installed drop in chargers on trucks with stock up to 200% nozzles, and while they may be slightly lazier than the sxe, i never though it was bad enough to warrant spending another grand to upgrade to the sxe for a high mileage work pickup all to make between 350 and 500 hp. Now if a guy want to make 500++ horsepower and/or has money to dump, then sure the t4 is the way to go. I honestly prefer the s468 to any s300 sxe turbo or drop in charger but it has it place. I just get really f*cking tired of seeing a guy on a tight budget ask a simple question on this site, and the same 4 or 5 guys tell him to spend double what he needs to because a simple drop in charger absolutely wont work for him in his high mileage tow rig when in reality there are thousands of them running around trouble free.

Last edited:

The Brad

Reaction score
Ive installed drop in chargers on trucks with stock up to 200% nozzles, and while they may be slightly lazier than the sxe, i never though it was bad enough to warrant spending another grand to upgrade to the sxe for a high mileage work pickup all to make between 350 and 500 hp. Now if a guy want to make 500++ horsepower and/or has money to dump, then sure the t4 is the way to go. I honestly prefer the s468 to any s300 sxe turbo or drop in charger but it has it place. I just get really f*cking tired of seeing a guy on a tight budget ask a simple question on this site, and the same 4 or 5 guys tell him to spend double what he needs to because a simple drop in charger absolutely wont work for him in his high mileage tow rig when in reality there are thousands of them running around trouble free.

Now let’s look at the flip side of that coin. I’ve talked to many who’ve spent a lot of money and time installing bigger injectors lookin for more speed and towing power only to be disappointed with smoke and egts. At that point they have 2 options: 1, pull fuel and HP or 2. Add more air. I was one of those guys and was tired of tuners and vendors telling me to ditch my 35s, stay out of OD and keep the RPMs up.

You won’t see me getting butt hurt when someone says that compounds are the only way to go. I think it goes without saying that there are levels of performance at different costs.

Last edited:

Petro

Reaction score
Now let’s look at the flip side of that coin. I’ve talked to many who’ve spent a lot of money and time installing bigger injectors lookin for more speed and towing power only to be disappointed with smoke and egts. At that point they have 2 options: 1, pull fuel and HP or 2. Add more air. I was one of those guys and was tired of tuners and vendors telling me to ditch my 35s, stay out of OD and keep the RPMs up.

You won’t see me getting butt hurt when someone says that compounds are the only way to go. I think it goes without saying that there are levels of performance at different costs.

I'm far from butt hurt, I just get really tired of seeing posts saying drop in chargers can not work with larger injectors when I have seen just the opposite first hand with multiple trucks. Several of these trucks have 3.73 gears and 35" tires. Have installed these setups with both autos and 6 speeds. Every time there was a smoke or power issue, it came back to tuning or a boost or drive pressure leak. The sxe is definitely more responsive, im not arguing that, but there are cheaper options that do work. Especially now with new and improved drop in options that were not available 10 years ago. If money isn't an issue, and towing is your goal, my best suggestion is to make the jump to a 6.7 and cure all your troubles.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Everyone makes excellent points! Thank you.. I guess how many miles I put on my truck a year, usually going through the middle of nowhere, I tend to worry about high mileage turbo.. probably not warranted, I've always ran good oil and changed it, but still..

If I do my injectors, I'm going to do the fuel system at the same time, which requires me to pull the turbo, hence why I was thinking about a drop in turbo for the next couple of years.. but I might have a new idea that might be better to tie me over until I can get the t4 kit.. I might just rebuild my turbo into one of those diy 66mm kits to get more air in the meantime and a rebuilt turbo.. my buddy just did one on his truck and it runs great, granted he has a lot smaller injectors, 180/stock, but I figure more air the better in the meantime

Thoughts?

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I think I got my game plan together, and I think it's better than leaving the stock turbo alone, and it gets rebuilt at the same time.. and less than half the kc drop in.. and should provide more performance than just bigger sticks with the stock turbo..

DIY 66mm kit -$255
Kc s300 turbine wheel - $225 (my only splurge in this)
Non ebpv pedestal - $60
Riffraff high flow outlet - $59
For a grand total of $599

That will keep me happy until I can save up for a t4 kit.. I just can't justify pulling the stock turbo and not at least rebuilding it, and if I rebuild it, I might as well do a 66mm kit.. I'm going to try the original. 84 housing to start with, and if I don't like it, I can always change it out to a 1.0 housing...

Thank you everyone for all your input and opinions, I think it has steered me in a good direction to get some more performance out of my truck while waiting for the t4 kit.. at least I'll feel better having new injectors and a rebuilt turbo instead of the wore out 300k mile junk

Latest posts

Members online