Do we like aluminum superdutys?

sootie

Reaction score
great idea.

less corrosion, lighter (better mpg & higher payload)

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Aluminum body panels are nothing new, been around for decades. Its just now hitting the American truck market due to high MPG regulations, its either that or smaller less powerful motors. I'll take the lighter truck idea over losing power. Though I do believe there is plenty of room still on the table to make even more powerful motors with even greater efficiency then we have now, its just going to take a redesign and a lot of money to do it. OEM is opting for the cheaper solution which is lighter bodies currently. Won't be long before others try Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber and even Urethane panels on trucks as they strive for more mileage and lighter weight.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I would love a truck that still has all the weight in the right places and goes on a diet where weight can be cut

ToMang07

Reaction score
I love the idea of it. I can't state (swear filter) how much I HATE dealing with rust up here in the northeast. Given I don't plan to buy a new (used) truck for quite some time, but in 5-10 years...maybe I'll pick up a nice Aluminum Super Duty that's actually (mostly) rust free!

There's a first for everything... :slap:

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
Aluminum body panels are nothing new, been around for decades. Its just now hitting the American truck market due to high MPG regulations, its either that or smaller less powerful motors. I'll take the lighter truck idea over losing power. Though I do believe there is plenty of room still on the table to make even more powerful motors with even greater efficiency then we have now, its just going to take a redesign and a lot of money to do it. OEM is opting for the cheaper solution which is lighter bodies currently. Won't be long before others try Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber and even Urethane panels on trucks as they strive for more mileage and lighter weight.
Aluminum is fine with me. On the plastics or materials like it... Let's hope Ford does better than GM did a few years ago on the plastic dually beds haha. Those beds had more crack than Harlem. That is if/when Ford goes that route.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
I Think it's a good idea but we will let the little guys test it out first haha. (F 1fity)

Side note- I hope they don't cut to much weight, cause that's what makes a FORD a FORD in my eyes.

BryceB

Reaction score
In the south, the corrosion issue is a non-issue.
The higher payload will be welcome.
I don't want it too "tinny"... The doors still need the weight and to feel solid. The bed still needs to take abuse.
A Superduty with a massive towing capacity still needs the truck to be substantial so when you have a heavy trailer, the tails not wagging the dog.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
They are going to be a body repair nightmare for small shops. Galvanic corrosion will set in if repairs are not done properly and the tools to do it properly are outrageously priced right now. Full Clean rooms are needed for Fords repair facilities as well.
It's going to be a tuff transition from steel to aluminum.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Some of the franchises have been expecting this and are already training guys to repair on them, the real small guys may be slow but the chains who want the business will be staying on top of it. The euros, jaguar (Ford technology) have brought this on for repair shops long before Ford did, just happy to see it hit the truck market for gains where we want them.

Reaction score
There are already aluminum body panels in lots of other brands of vehicles. And even the f150 already uses aluminum hoods. Have been since 97. If the local body shop can't keep up with technology then they are already behind. Aluminum has and will be there for a long time to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.