6.4 turbo surge or something

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
What's up everybody? I've been having some issues with my 08 f250. I just bought the truck about 4 months ago and shortly after I bought it I started having some issues. To start off it is completely stock with about 115,000 miles. I say stock because I only have the canned sct tunes until my Gearhead tunes show up.

Anyway what's going on is when accelerating the turbo(s) will start surging. Doesn't matter if you are at wot or quarter throttle. As soon as it starts building boost I can hear a really light rattle and the boost cuts in half and then goes back up. And a loss of power of course.

The lot that I bought it from has been letting their mechanic work on it but he can't seem to figure it out. The first time he worked on it he changed the map sensor. When I picked it up it was still acting up. Well I drove it to Rudys (about 3.5 hours) pissed off wide open and after I got there it cleared up. Ran good about a week or so and then the problem returned. I was getting on the highway a little while after it returned and got on it pretty good and it went into limp mode and had no power. It would downshift and build boost but would not pick up speed. I pulled over and checked the codes and it had a cylinder contribution code and a rail pressure code. I cleared them and it ran fine afterwards. After a few weeks I finally had time to take it back to the mechanic and this time he changed the #2 injector.

I picked it up and it ran great for a little over a week until Sunday. It was pouring rain so I took the family bowling. And on the way there it didn't feel right. Kinda sluggish. Well the last two days have been clear and it's doing the same surging again. I've drained the fuel/water separator and no water is present. It's got fresh oil and fuel filters.

Could it be the egr and dpf? Vgt? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

78f100

Reaction score
If its just a boost issue, all else runs good I would say check ebp sensor and check for leaks. As far as the rail pressure code if it keeps coming back it may be low low pressure fuel, bad rail pressure sensor or bad hpfp. Most likely gonna need someone with a ids or good scan tool. Hope you get it figured out but its hard to get a good idea from your explanation

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
If its just a boost issue, all else runs good I would say check ebp sensor and check for leaks. As far as the rail pressure code if it keeps coming back it may be low low pressure fuel, bad rail pressure sensor or bad hpfp. Most likely gonna need someone with a ids or good scan tool. Hope you get it figured out but its hard to get a good idea from your explanation
Will do. Thanks.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Just had another code pop up P0266 (cyl#2 contribution/balance). That's the injector that was just changed! Could it have gone bad already? Or could something else be causing it?

JrStroker

Reaction score
Just had another code pop up P0266 (cyl#2 contribution/balance). That's the injector that was just changed! Could it have gone bad already? Or could something else be causing it?

I had one of those codes pop up, can't remember which exactly, but I replaced the injector and line and my problem went away.

I know the line going to the injector is a torque to yield, I don't know your mechanic, but would you have any doubt in your mind it was done wrong?

Can your monitor fuel rail pressure on your tuner?

Sideswipe505

Reaction score

When I had that code pop it was a broke piston...

Latest posts

Members online