Fuel Milage

Magicman129

Reaction score
Wanted to see what some of you guys are getting, not really impressed myself, I'm at an average of about 14 mixed driving empty, best I have seen is 17 all highway, in the 70mph range. I have a SRW with 3.55 towing is where it really went to ****, I couldn't even crack 9 on a trip to the mountains towing my 12k pound camper, and I was not running it hard in my opinion. I don't tow at 80 but in the 70 range, and we're are not talking the Rockies we are talking md and wv mountains from Annapolis area to Romney

If this is the norm what are these heavy tow guys getting, the 20k + guys 5?:lame:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
57aaa502283b7f439c8078bb28705dad.png

All kinds of driving. Usually 1000 pounds in the bed. Cruise at 78 on the highway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

Floorboard79

my truck is a hair under 9000 empty, with toyo at2's 35x11.50. my trip2 average over the last 5000 miles is 16.4

usually 15.8-16.8 range mixed city and highway traffic etc. this is with weight loss tuning. didnt have stock tires long enough to get a read on mpg with them

towing 13k about 10, equipment trailer low to ground not thru mountains

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I've got 35x12.50 on the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Nobody is getting 20mpg towing! Most don't even get close unloaded. So much BS out there for MPG claims!

14-16 is typical for any of these trucks...especially the new ones with the emissions crap. My 14 2WD still got 14-16, even after tuning and exhaust work, lowering, bed cover, etc. Still a heavy truck with brick wall aerodynamics.

PAYNE5757

Reaction score
I religiously watch the instant mileage indicator and drive with a light foot and minimal braking philosophy during my work commute that probably averages 35mph for 10 miles each direction and maybe 4 complete stops along the way. My truck is leveled on 35x12.50s with 3.55s and Im averaging 16.2 currently(indicated. My manual calculations have actually shown the lie meter to usually read ~.2 lower than hand calculated). Ive observed that at 35mph it will lock the converter in 5th and mileage dramatically increases. Same for 6th at 45.
I have also observed that ANYTIME you can use cruise control, do it! Even when theres zero discernible seat of the pants acceleration while cruising with my foot on the pedal, there must often be more throttle input than necessary and the cruise control is far more accurate at maintaining exact throttle input because mileage increases on cruise. I honestly believe I gained 1mpg by utilizing cruise anytime it is practical in town(long enough stints without stops) because I was averaging 15 before I started experimenting with cruise.
I know no one goes on road trips under 65mph but if you did, between 45 and 65 is the mileage sweet spot for these trucks and would likely return 20-26mpg..... but like I said, that's impractical. Beyond 65, the fact that these things are rolling billboards, in terms of aerodynamics, completely kills the avg person's hwy mileage.

Last edited:

Magicman129

Reaction score
Yes, below 65 is for sure the sweet spot for milage, I did a little test on a relatively flat spot of, highway and it will do around 20 at or below 65, if you watch the tach below 1500, my old non emissions duramax had sweet spot around the same speed or below 2000. I was hoping that extra gear would allow for better milage but I guess the emissions stuff kills that

I'm getting around the same as Jim on average

Mts678

Reaction score
Nobody is getting 20mpg towing! Most don't even get close unloaded. So much BS out there for MPG claims!

14-16 is typical for any of these trucks...especially the new ones with the emissions crap. My 14 2WD still got 14-16, even after tuning and exhaust work, lowering, bed cover, etc. Still a heavy truck with brick wall aerodynamics.

exactly!! I drive conservative for the most part, except for getting on highway ramps and going around dumbasses in the left lane, COMPUTER AVG= 14.x, when I hand calculate I'm normally mid 13.x- CONSISTENTLY. 18-20 is a bunch of horse SHI!T

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
All depends on driving habits and commute speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online